+20

Our culture takes "being nice" way too seriously. When someone dies, we say they "passed away", when someone's dangerously overweight, they're "big and beautiful", and we are taught to avoid conflict at almost all costs. We need to be stop being nice, and just be honest, am I right?

GrammarGirls avatar
1 3

It could go to far, but I agree. I mean, I would never say anything to a fat person about their weight ever unless I was their doctor. But I think we need to quit telling people what they want to hear. Tends to give people a false sense of justification.

@It could go to far, but I agree. I mean, I would never say anything to a fat person about their weight ever unless...

(Your+name+(optional)): Right. I made this thinking about a friend who's dated some guy she hates for the last month because he's sick and she doesn't want to hurt his feelings while he's ill. =/

And then, when she finally did break up with him, she made up a reason that wasn't his fault so he wouldn't be hurt, when in reality his obsession with the girls he dates is what drives them away--and none of them have told him! How can he fix the problem if he doesn't know what it is?