+24

In the third movie Harry would not be able to use Lumos to complete his homework in the night while at the Dursley's, the Ministry of Magic would be all over his violation of the underage wizard restrictions, amirite?

OneMoreSadSongs avatar
0 9
The voters have decided that OneMoreSadSong is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

. . . That's why he used a flashlight (in the book, at least)

@AwkwardMoments1 . . . That's why he used a flashlight (in the book, at least)

in the book he does use a flashlight, but in the movie they show him employing the Lumos spell in order to complete his course work over the summer break, for which he would be in a great deal of trouble with the Ministry of Magic.

OneMoreSadSongs avatar OneMoreSadSong Yeah You Are 0Reply
@OneMoreSadSong in the book he does use a flashlight, but in the movie they show him employing the Lumos spell in order to complete...

Huh. I wasn't aware they changed it for the movie. But yeah: once, my friend told me that her favorite scene from the books was when Harry was using lumos to do his homework at the Dursley's and, even though I couldn't remember that particular scene, I corrected het because of the same reason you just stated.

@AwkwardMoments1 Huh. I wasn't aware they changed it for the movie. But yeah: once, my friend told me that her favorite scene from...

Yup, I'm surprised they didn't recognize that goof, especially since he got in trouble for magic in front of Muggles in the last film, and just a few scenes later in the third film he leaves the Durseley's since he figures he has been expelled. It is clearly stated several times in both the books and the films that Harry is not allowed to perform magic outside of Hogwarts.

OneMoreSadSongs avatar OneMoreSadSong Yeah You Are +1Reply
@OneMoreSadSong Yup, I'm surprised they didn't recognize that goof, especially since he got in trouble for magic in front of...

I guess the were just hoping nobody would notice? Although it somehow slipped my mind, it IS a pretty memorable scene and I suppose the director thought making Harry use lumos would have more of an effect on the audience? I don't know.

@AwkwardMoments1 I guess the were just hoping nobody would notice? Although it somehow slipped my mind, it IS a pretty memorable...

Possibly, but it was quite a blatant slip up to make when literally 3 scenes later Harry runs away due to his use of magic outside of Hogwarts and just the movie before he had gotten in trouble for it when he didn't even use magic.

@OneMoreSadSong Possibly, but it was quite a blatant slip up to make when literally 3 scenes later Harry runs away due to his use...

Very true . . .
Movie directors make stupid mistakes/deliberate alterations like this all the time, but we expect more from Harry Potter! That really wasn't a good idea on their part.

I was watching that today (instead of studying for finals. Shush!) and it was really bugging me. The worst part was that maybe five minutes later, when Harry's leaving, he threatens Vernon with his wand, but Vernon tells him he can't use magic outside of school.

Personally, I think they just wanted to do it to set the mood or something stupid.