+57

Bringing up an afterlife as support to your argument as to why I shouldn't be an atheist is like saying I'll get coal in my stockings if I don't believe in Santa Claus. If I don't believe in something, I won't be scared of the results. amirite?

Egotisticals avatar
3 20
The voters have decided that Egotistical is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

yeah like when people tell me im going to hell for being an atheist im like, yeah sure, is that really supposed to change my view? cause i dont believe in hell in the first place

Weekend_Warriors avatar Weekend_Warrior Yeah You Are +9Reply
@Weekend_Warrior yeah like when people tell me im going to hell for being an atheist im like, yeah sure, is that really supposed to...

I'm not an atheist, and I still don't believe in hell. I think purgatory is real, but a loving god wouldn't punish anyone for all eternity.

Personally, I think there's a bigger issue here. The real tragedy is that there actually are people out there who, for some reason, base their view on reality on the consequences of not believing and the reward of accepting a certain proposition about the god of their particular religion, a.k.a. "faith"

Me and my boyfriend were just talking about this. This is exactly what I was trying to say but I couldn't make it sound as good as you did.

Laughing_sporks avatar Laughing_spork Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Laughing_spork Me and my boyfriend were just talking about this. This is exactly what I was trying to say but I couldn't make it...

Haha yeah i had something entirely different typed but it sounded weird so i erased it and wrote this.

Egotisticals avatar Egotistical Yeah You Are +5Reply

But people who have been revived have reported that there is an afterlife. Why wouldn't you believe in it?

@Horseboat But people who have been revived have reported that there is an afterlife. Why wouldn't you believe in it?

Well Horseboat, there's actually an explanation for that. These people who have died and were revived were not brain dead. Only their heart stopped. And this after life they experienced was nothing more than an intense and unintentional psychedelic trip. Dimethyltryptamine, or DMT, is a naturally occurring chemical found in almost every single living organism in nature. It is produced naturally in our brains and is what causes us to dream at night. During REM sleep your mind produces this substance and you receive a very small dose. (Yes, dreams are nothing more than psychedelic trips) When people die their brain releases all of its DMT and causes the person to become incredibly high. DMT can also be found and extracted from plants and smoked or eaten. It has been used in ancient spirit rituals to contact their god(s). This is by far the most hallucinogenic substance on the face of the Earth and our minds are wired perfectly to receive it. Due to its powerful and other worldly effects it has been nick named "The Spirit Molecule". Even modern people who use this substance sometimes claim contact with a deity. If you would like more information on this I recommend this documentary.

Scientists avatar Scientist Yeah You Are +1Reply

You can't be revived once you are fully brain dead.

Another great documentary is National Geographics: Moment of Death

It's on Netflix if you decide to watch it.

Actually there was a man who was declared brain dead 36 hours after an ATV accident but responded after a knife was run along his foot and he was able to be released from the hospital. There's also the book 90 Minutes in Heaven about a man who traveled to heaven after being in a car crash after which he showed no signs of life but was able to be revived to recount his story.

Where can I read about the first guy? This is very interesting. If he responded to a stimulus, then he must not have been brain dead. But it sounds interesting and I would like to look into it more...

Yea. I want to read about that too. Because it should not be possible for someone to be dead for that long. And the second story is more than easily explained by my explanation. Except again the length of time is unreasonable.

Scientists avatar Scientist Yeah You Are 0Reply

Where would they come up with all the things they see? Their brain wasn't even working when they were dead.