-105

The world is meaningless if there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose. All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well. Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die. Do not try to "find yourself", you must make yourself, amirite?

17 61
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I dunno why this is voted down so much, I see it as more an affirmative statement than a nihilistic one.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +29Reply
@Simon I dunno why this is voted down so much, I see it as more an affirmative statement than a nihilistic one.

It's voted down because it tries to imply that there is nothing more than just people/animals/etc and no outside forces. A lot of people aren't comfortable making decision thinking there is no order to direct them, it's human nature to have rules and structures. Plus Christians (like myself) don't like thefact that it says no God.

Wynauts avatar Wynaut No Way +2Reply

I don't think the world is meaningless, but I do agree that you shouldn't use your time on Earth waiting until some afterlife that may or may not exist. Se. ehh. didn't vote.

The OP means there are no morals in the sense that there are no morals devoid of consciousness.. I think that's one of the reasons this has such a low score

@1303122

I know thats why I said that was 'one of the reasons' lol.

All this quote says is that the principles we cling to to give our lives some higher meaning were created by people no better or worse than we are. We are defining our lives based on the beliefs of other people, when really we should define our lives based on what we want for ourselves.

It's a shame that so many people down-vote this because he/she blatantly says there is no God, or morals, or higher purpose. If everyone was willing to put their own beliefs aside for a few seconds and try to gain some understanding, this would not be in the negative.

I love this post because it's bold. This person wasn't afraid to use a tone of certainty where others would say "if" or "maybe". It wouldve been even better if they hadn't gone anon, though I can see why they did.

Neverwheres avatar Neverwhere Yeah You Are +14Reply

There are no absolute morals, only things made moral and immoral by people. I wouldn't say that the world is meaningless, I would say that if there is indeed no afterlife, the world is all that matters or means anything. There is (probably) no ultimate consequence, but that doesn't make everything meaningless. I voted yes to this anyway. It has good ideas, but kinda stated the wrong way, I think.

AtheisticMystics avatar AtheisticMystic Yeah You Are +9Reply

I only downvoted because I don't see this as a fact. Sure, it may be more than likely that there's no gods or God, but that doesn't mean it should be stated as a fact. Personally, I don't really care whether there's a higher power, I think we should be more focused on the environment, world, peace, etc.

@JennaGee I only downvoted because I don't see this as a fact. Sure, it may be more than likely that there's no gods or God...

I thought the whole point of this site was to share opinion, not facts. This is an opinion, you just read it like a fact.

This also is probably down voted because it's saying that there are no gods and the majority of people do believe in god on here.

It makes me pretty sad to see someone say something inspirational and true, yet nobody wants to hear it :'(

@Coday It makes me pretty sad to see someone say something inspirational and true, yet nobody wants to hear it :'(

What makes you so sure there is no God? You may agree that there is no God, but that doesn't make it true.

@Coday Heck maybe there is a god. The rest of it is still true.

Well if God is real, the rest of the post is wrong

@pantherfanatic Well if God is real, the rest of the post is wrong

I disagree, but if you'd like to explain I'll be glad to read it.

@Coday I disagree, but if you'd like to explain I'll be glad to read it.

Well if there is a God, than the world has meaning, otherwise God would not have created it. He created humans to have a personal relationship with Him. There are also morals, as morals are a reflection of God's character.

@pantherfanatic Well if there is a God, than the world has meaning, otherwise God would not have created it. He created humans to...

What if there is a god but he didn't create anything? Maybe he created the big bang or whatever and is just letting things happen for no reason? Maybe he simply wanted to see what would happen when he clapped his hands and BANG universe. Or perhaps there is meaning in life, but the meaning is pretty small (like we're ants in an ant farm, simply existing for entertainment).

The point is, we may never know.

inb4 existentialism debate

This is the best post I've ever seen, why is in the negatives?

freddos avatar freddo Yeah You Are +3Reply

While I respect your opinions and ideas i disagree with them and my vote represents this to all who don't visit the comments.

rivals avatar rival No Way +2Reply

If Oprah hired a Hallmark card writer to write a script for a Lifetime movie, I imagine it would sound just like the post.

This post

Crossfire3220s avatar Crossfire3220 Yeah You Are 0Reply

What the heck people? Why the close mind? This post deserves all the yeah you ares I can give. (which i can only give once. weh.)

@1303713

I down voted this post because it was a poorly constructed meaningless combination of quotes from bumper stickers and motivational posters. That's why it has so many NY votes.

Who ever said this. Thank you so much for being brave enough to post it

This is true but not true.

@IamProbablyaNinja lolwut?

I only agree with part of it.

I don't understand how people who agree with this go on with life. I can't immagine waking up every morning proposeless. No hope....

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -13Reply
@Pug I don't understand how people who agree with this go on with life. I can't immagine waking up every morning...

To me there is hope in the very last point the post makes. You have to make yourself. That's what gives life purpose, creating who you'd like to be.

Neverwheres avatar Neverwhere Yeah You Are +22Reply
@1296414

You can't be happy with out God. I know almost everyone will disagree but that's what a believe.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -6Reply
@Pug You can't be happy with out God. I know almost everyone will disagree but that's what a believe.

How can you say people can't be happy when clearly many people are? I think that people are happier when they don't believe in god because they can actually be free to live their own life.

youreXallXcrazys avatar youreXallXcrazy Yeah You Are +3Reply
@ForeverMarauder That's a really self-centered thing to believe.

Lol how so at all? Self centered by not living for myself but for God, yeah that makes sense.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -3Reply
@Pug Lol how so at all? Self centered by not living for myself but for God, yeah that makes sense.

Because you believe that no one can be happy unless they live the way you do. That's self-centered.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way +1Reply
@Pug I never said 'live the way I do' did I? Please don't put words in my mouth.

Actually, you said no one can be happy without God. You live with God, and so you're therefore saying no one can be happy unless they live like you do. Make sense?

@ForeverMarauder Actually, you said no one can be happy without God. You live with God, and so you're therefore saying no one can...

Your name is forevermarauder which I read as forever murderer which means you're a killer. Hitler was a killer so you=hitler. Make sense?

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -2Reply
@Pug Your name is forevermarauder which I read as forever murderer which means you're a killer. Hitler was a killer so...

Are you kidding me? Look up marauder in the dictionary... I promise you it's a different word from murderer. My name is a reference to Harry Potter.
Wow... I think it's pretty clear you've lost this argument, as you've resorted to calling me a murderer.

@Pug You are the most stupidest person I have ever met. /facepalm

What have I said that's stupid? You just confused the word marauder with the word murderer, so if I were you, I wouldn't be going around calling people stupid. I would especially avoid calling someone the 'most stupidest person', as I'm pretty sure my seven year old sister knows that's not grammatically correct.

@Pug I WAS BEING SARCASTIC YOU IDIOT. I was trying to prove a point.

I'm sorry... the whole murderer thing caused me to underestimate your intelligence. That was ridiculous.

@Pug Just as your statement was about me being self centered.

I explained my statement, and your only response was that I was a murderer. You have yet to disprove what I said, whereas I easily dismantled your statement about me being a murderer. So unfortunately, you cannot equate those two statements.

@Pug Okay, become someone. Then die, and be forgotten. Still, no purpose.

That sounds like a narcissistic way to live life.

@That sounds like a narcissistic way to live life.

Not nessacarily. Some people find joy in helping others or focusing on someone else. This is who they have become, and it can be very fulfilling.

Neverwheres avatar Neverwhere Yeah You Are +2Reply

this is shocking. someone is obviously trying desperately to be all deep while spouting nonsensical bull, to be blunt. Of course the world has meaning and of course there are morals, they are all around us, look at the law, at the bible. As for meaning, what about reproduction or simply the evolution of species and civilization.
I see the point, but come on, your being an ass about it.