+20

Atheists don't claim anything. They just reject the idea of god. Amirite?

Loopss avatar
1 38
The voters have decided that Loops is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Inb4 some fag mentions the Big bang theory or evolution.

While Atheists believe in these theories, there's nothing of Atheism itself that mentions either of these. Just that the idea of a god is false.

Loopss avatar Loops Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Loops Inb4 some fag mentions the Big bang theory or evolution. While Atheists believe in these theories, there's...

THANK YOU!!!
They always use "well, the universe had to come from somewhere, it didn't just come from nothing, God had to make it" and I'm like uhhhh just cuz I don't believe in god doesn't mean I do beleive in the big bang theory.

@No.

(Your+name+(optional)): ono smilie

ThatOneNuts avatar ThatOneNut Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Shut up Meg.

(Your+name+(optional)): oh, how original

@Shut up Meg.

(Your+name+(optional)): Why don't you go unanonymous?

THANKYOU. The literal translation of the word is "no/without (prefix 'a') belief in a god or gods ('theism')", and I see it being confused all the time with some weirdo fucking distortions of that, like atheism means "there is no god" or just "no god". It really is a very common misconception and people need to see this.

Unicornss avatar Unicorns Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Unicorns THANKYOU. The literal translation of the word is "no/without (prefix 'a') belief in a god or gods ('theism')", and...

"without gods"

sounds like we don't beleive in god to me. what are you trying to say?

@"without gods" sounds like we don't beleive in god to me. what are you trying to say?

(Your+name+(optional)): No. It's not " without gods", it's "without BELIEF IN a god or gods" I just explained that, dude...

Unicornss avatar Unicorns Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Unicorns (Your+name+(optional)): No. It's not " without gods", it's "without BELIEF IN a god or gods" I just explained that...

You see it being confused with weirdo fucking distortions like athiesms means "no god". You need to learn how to express your thoughts more clearly, I still haven't got a clue if you're saying athiesm isn't the beleif of "no god".

I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying being an athiest doesn't mean you don't believe in god?

@I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying being an athiest doesn't mean you don't believe in god?

(Your+name+(optional)): He's saying that atheism is the belief that there is no god.

@Nick (Your+name+(optional)): He's saying that atheism is the belief that there is no god.

and I see it being confused all the time with some weirdo fucking distortions of that, like atheism means "there is no god" or just "no god"

@and I see it being confused all the time with some weirdo fucking distortions of that, like atheism means "there...

(Your+name+(optional)): He meant it as two separate statements. "....weirdo fucking distortions of that" and "like atheism means 'there is no god' or just 'no god'

@Nick (Your+name+(optional)): He meant it as two separate statements. "....weirdo fucking distortions of that" and "like...

It does when you take it into terms of beleif which is the only context it has ever been used in. I've never heard anyone say athiems means there is no god and not be talking about beleifs.

@It does when you take it into terms of beleif which is the only context it has ever been used in. I've never heard...

(Your+name+(optional)): Ok I see what you mean. I thought the original comment was saying... Never mind. I understand =P

I don't understand why it really matters. Most religious people don't say they "believe" in God, they just state that a god exists. So why would the exact definition really make a difference?

It annoys me when people think that Atheism is a religion.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Then why did you capitalise it?

Because shut up that's why. Nuh, it's a bad common grammatical habit. And I know other people do it to show the same respect to Atheists as they do for people who hold theological beliefs.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Then why did you capitalise it?

@1311739 (Anonymous):
The same way non-believers capitalize God.

Teals avatar Teal Yeah You Are +1Reply

I think, to clear this up, I should say there is a difference between a belief and a fact. I do believe in God. That's not to say that there IS a god, just that I BELIEVE there is one.

I BELIEVE in God.
I can't say there IS God, because I have no proof.

What these people are trying to say is that people always get atheism mixed up with "THERE IS NO GOD". Atheism means "I BELIEVE THERE IS NO GOD".

I don't have proof in a god, it's called faith.
Atheists don't have proof there ISN'T a god, so it's called disbelief.

I tried to explain it in a few different ways to clear it up for different people.

Prefix 'A' = no or without
Theism = belief in a god
Translation of atheism = no or without belief in a god.
What atheism does NOT mean = there is no god (aka a claim), no god, god doesn't exist. (claim...)
This is not hard.

@Prefix 'A' = no or without Theism = belief in a god Translation of atheism = no or without belief in a god. What...

you just said no or without god. how does that not mean "there is no god" in that person's beleif?

God is not an idea

@thatsjustmii God is not an idea

The idea that he exists is...... an idea.

Teals avatar Teal Yeah You Are +2Reply

yes, atheism isnt a scientific theory or belief, like evolution, just claims that there is no god. Most atheists also happen to believe in evolution. I'm a Christian, but thats the way I see atheism anyways. If I'm wrong about that, let me kno. lol

@Anangrygnome yes, atheism isnt a scientific theory or belief, like evolution, just claims that there is no god. Most atheists...

Atheism doesn't claim there is no god. It just rejects the idea of it. E.g; Christian etc present the idea of a god and we reject it because we see no proof.

Prefix 'A' = no or without
Theism = belief in a god

@Well I guess I'm not an athiest cuz I claim there's no god.

(Your+name+(optional)):I think that by claiming there is no god you're almost acknowledging the existence of one.

An atheist believes that there is no God or Gods. That's it. Some atheists believe in a higher power running the universe, some don't. Some believe in the big bang, some don't. Stop trying to complicate the definition.