+5

Dating someone a few years older: normal. Dating someone a few years younger? Ew. Amirite?

ProudMarys avatar
0 13
The voters have decided that ProudMary is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This doesn't really make sense as you haven't directed it anyone really (gender or whatever). So you're saying that for a couple who are say, 20 and 22, for the 20 year old it's good but for the 22 year old its gross? That's stupid.

@twisted_memories This doesn't really make sense as you haven't directed it anyone really (gender or whatever). So you're saying that...

I guess it is? I don't know. I can't picture myself dating anyone younger than me, and most people I know can't, either.

ProudMarys avatar ProudMary Yeah You Are 0Reply

I agree. It also depends on the age. For example, my girlfriend is 4 years older than me, but we're almost 21 and almost 25. Normal. However, if it's a 17 year old dating a 14 year old, yeah it's weird. Not to mention, if anyone over the age of 18 is dating anyone under the age of 18, it's considered statutory and so many other things...

@bandgeekjessye I agree. It also depends on the age. For example, my girlfriend is 4 years older than me, but we're almost 21 and...

Except that an 18 year old and 17 year old can date perfectly legally... I know that in Canada the law is 5 years from age of consent.

@bandgeekjessye I meant to say in the US >< sorry

Is it really like that though? Anyone under 18 can't date an 18-year-old even if they're 17?

@twisted_memories Is it really like that though? Anyone under 18 can't date an 18-year-old even if they're 17?

They can date as long as they're not having sex. Here's a link about the law http://www.sexlaws.org/what_is_statutory_rape
It's fine if nobody cares but I my mother's friend's son now has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life because he was having sex with his girlfriend and her stepmother wasn't ok with it even though her and her father didn't care. She brought him up on charges of statutory and, sadly, the woman usually wins in these sorts of cases.

@bandgeekjessye They can date as long as they're not having sex. Here's a link about the law...

The website says age of consent, which is also what I said, but I guess sometimes the age of consent is 18.

That's utterly fucked up.

@twisted_memories The website says age of consent, which is also what I said, but I guess sometimes the age of consent is 18. That's...

Yeah, if you're not at the age of consent, it's considered statutory whether it's forced or not. The age of consent is usually 18 in the US. I'm glad Canada has more sense than America though >< as par the norm...

@bandgeekjessye Yeah, if you're not at the age of consent, it's considered statutory whether it's forced or not. The age of consent...

Well Canada is age of consent (I'm not sure, but I believe Canada has a country wide age of 16 [maybe 14, I'm not sure] and that website said over half the US is 16 for age of consent), and if you're at that age the person you have sex with can be up to 5 years older than you.