+481

There's really no reason why people who play musical instruments should be called names and made fun of. I mean, at least they have a talent, amirite?

alsatts avatar
13 50
The voters have decided that alsatt is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Or opera singers. I may be big, but I can shatter your eardrums from 20 feet away.

fonziekj52s avatar fonziekj52 Yeah You Are +13Reply

Unless the suck. Then they have no talent AND geek names

Ellens avatar Ellen Yeah You Are +6Reply

There's really no reason for smart people to be made fun of. Or anyone for that matter. :p

Band camp started for me today! Yay for coincidences!

midnightcookiess avatar midnightcookies Yeah You Are +3Reply

This is exactly why I don't tell people I play the piano & guitar.
1) What OP said.
2) They'll try playing my instrument and just end up destroying it.

iceeselenawizs avatar iceeselenawiz Yeah You Are +2Reply
@iceeselenawiz This is exactly why I don't tell people I play the piano & guitar. 1) What OP said. 2) They'll try playing my...

Lol I play oboe (and a bunch of other things) and my oboe is made out of rosewood. People seem to have an attraction of wanting to try the oboe and are particularly attracted to mine because of it's pretty rosewood color; not your typical oboe color. All the more reason for me to want to protect my baby O.o And my reeds ><

bandgeekjessyes avatar bandgeekjessye Yeah You Are +1Reply
@bandgeekjessye Lol I play oboe (and a bunch of other things) and my oboe is made out of rosewood. People seem to have an...

Lol, I know EXACTLY how you feel! My guitar's pretty beautiful itself and if anyone laid their hands on him, they'd have to face mamma(; lmao

iceeselenawizs avatar iceeselenawiz Yeah You Are +1Reply

Hey OP, http://new.amirite.net/621880
So your post is wrong. Not every person who plays an instrument has a talent, they just might have the skill.

@Nacklefoodle Hey OP, http://new.amirite.net/621880 So your post is wrong. Not every person who plays an instrument has a talent...

I have a few questions for you.
1. What do you consider as a talent?
2. Do you even play a musical instrument?
2a. If so, what do you play and how long have you played it?
Also, the last time that I looked at the homepage, it said that amirite is a website for OPINIONS only. If it's my opinion, then it's right to me.

alsatts avatar alsatt Yeah You Are 0Reply
@alsatt I have a few questions for you. 1. What do you consider as a talent? 2. Do you even play a musical instrument? 2a...

COME ON! I specifically targeted the one sentence in your post that's not technically true, this is like correcting a grammar mistake. One cannot just have an opinion on a fact!
What, am I free to say that Earth is a cube? Would no one correct me if I made a post about it?

Those questions are completely irrelevant to the point I'm making,
I DO play instruments and more than one at that. I HAVE since I was about 8.
What I consider a talent is what the dictionary considers a talent, in other words what it really is accepted as. See comment #1358120 for that.

This is like talking to a brick wall! Worse even, actually, because if you throw a tennis ball at a wall it brings the tennis ball back to you, yet when I throw one at you or one of those debaters up there, you bring me absolutely random basketballs and golf balls, in other words absolutely irrelevant points.

@Nacklefoodle COME ON! I specifically targeted the one sentence in your post that's not technically true, this is like correcting...

The brick wall analogy here goes both ways. I have asked you questions and you have barely and indirectly answered them. Thanks. My questions are not completely irrelevant to the point that you're trying to make, because if you truly enjoyed making music, you'd consider it a talent too.

Not trying to be arrogant here, but I am considered a talented musician by my teachers and directors. And I really enjoy playing and listening to music, so I believe being able to play a musical instrument a talent. And I don't mean just sitting down at a piano and smashing your face against the keys. I mean, reading music, and playing it well. If I was good at something else, like a sport, I would consider being able to play that sport a talent. It's just what you believe in.

And you didn't just target one sentence in my post. In comment 1360789, you blatantly stated that my post was wrong. Again, this site is about opinions, and according to the votes on this post, many others have this opinion too.

alsatts avatar alsatt Yeah You Are +1Reply
@alsatt The brick wall analogy here goes both ways. I have asked you questions and you have barely and indirectly answered...

But one cannot have opinions on the definition of a word! That is all I'm saying!

Okay, listen, I play the piano and I am quite good at it, too. I learn quicker than most students and understand the theory and rules well. I AM talented. That does not mean every person who plays the instrument well is talented, they're SKILLED. There's a difference. If your post had said "At least they have a skill" I would've agreed 100%. Skill is what you're describing there. A talent is a natural skill, which people are born with. Not everyone who plays an instrument was born with the skill, so therefore not everyone has the talent. Do you see? You're just using the wrong word, it's nothing to do with opinion.

@Nacklefoodle But one cannot have opinions on the definition of a word! That is all I'm saying! Okay, listen, I play the piano...

Okay, well it's too late now. Thanks for making me have to defend my own opinions.

And maybe you do have to possess even a small amount natural talent to even pick up an instrument and play it. I know some people who have tried to play various instruments, but have failed or given up. Maybe, you have that small amount of natural talent, which makes you want to pick up the instrument and play it, and then you develop that talent into a skill, but at the same time, a bigger amount of talent. How would we know that not all musicians were born with natural talent? Have you conducted a medical trial on natural talent? Probably not, and neither have I, so we don't know.

alsatts avatar alsatt Yeah You Are -1Reply

Apparently they don't have the talent of defending themselves well.

No. People with talent have talent; musicians just have instruments.

@Nacklefoodle No. People with talent have talent; musicians just have instruments.

Musicians have talent. People with instruments are people with instruments.

Shugahs avatar Shugah Yeah You Are +25Reply
@Shugah Musicians have talent. People with instruments are people with instruments.

Being skilled in music does not necessarily mean they have talent. And not everyone who plays a musical instrument even has the skill.

@Shugah How does being skilled in music not make you a musician?

Musician = person skilled in music.
Skill = the ability to do something well (by practice or some other means).
Talent = natural skill.

In other words, all talented people are skilled but not all skilled people are talented.

@Nacklefoodle Musician = person skilled in music. Skill = the ability to do something well (by practice or some other...

Eh. I see what you mean. If to you, talent means natural skill, then I can't change your mind. But I think a lot of people, myself included, believe you can acquire talent, and not be born with it.

Shugahs avatar Shugah Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Shugah Eh. I see what you mean. If to you, talent means natural skill, then I can't change your mind. But I think a lot of...

No, that's what it means to the dictionary. I looked up each of those words just now and copied them here.

Still, even with your definition talent COULD be acquired, and not automatically received once someone plays a note of an instrument. That's all I'm saying. Not everyone who plays music is talented.

@Nacklefoodle No, that's what it means to the dictionary. I looked up each of those words just now and copied them here. Still...

I disagreed with you and was about to argue. Then I realized I really couldn't because you were right...I guess you learn something new everyday

@Funnyplants I disagreed with you and was about to argue. Then I realized I really couldn't because you were right...I guess you...

Why not support me then? I can't convince any of these people below nor above this comment and not a single person is helping me, even though some people like you understand what I mean. (cry2)

Musicians can probably read music. That's pretty talented, not everyone can do that.

Turtles avatar Turtle Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Turtle Musicians can probably read music. That's pretty talented, not everyone can do that.

That's a skill, not a talent. No one is born naturally able to read music, and anyone can learn to do so.

@Turtle You're completely missing the point of this... Oh well.

You're the one missing the point. Not everyone has talent, one must be born with it to have it. Learning to read music is elementary and practically any person can do it, no matter how talented he is.

@Nacklefoodle You're the one missing the point. Not everyone has talent, one must be born with it to have it. Learning to read...

Not everyone can learn, though. No matter how hard my mother or some of my friends try, they don't understand how to read the music or can't put reading together with the skills. And, TBH, there's only a certain point that talent can get you to before you have to put work into it as well. Often times, once people who are talented are met with a challenge, they quit because they don't have the perseverance and work ethic somebody who's had to work to be good has.
Also, how does somebody know if they're talented if they've never tried something? I could be born with the innate ability to ward off polar bears but I'll never (hopefully) have the chance to use that talent...idk...random analogy.
Last note, do you play any instruments?

bandgeekjessyes avatar bandgeekjessye Yeah You Are +4Reply
@bandgeekjessye Not everyone can learn, though. No matter how hard my mother or some of my friends try, they don't understand how...

Well, learning how to read music is similar to learning how to read a language. Sure, some people may struggle, but that does not make everyone else who succeeds talented. Every normal person can be taught music.

I said nothing about talent nor skill. All I was saying is that not everyone who plays an instrument has it. I do not favour talent, and I said nothing about talented people being best workers. All I said is not everyone with an instrument is talented.

That is also irrelevant. Sure, you cannot know your talent until you try the medium, yet this has nothing to do with my point nor this post's. I don't blame all those talentless players for trying their instrument, and surely a percentage of them have actually discovered their talent in that way.

But not every person who tried music is talented. That's my entire point.

And yes, I do.

@Nacklefoodle Well, learning how to read music is similar to learning how to read a language. Sure, some people may struggle, but...

Meh. I can go into all of the different philosophies I learn about in my music education methods classes but I don't really feel like it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/talent

Talent can be a natural ability, but it is also defined as a capacity for achievement and a synonym listed is capability. I'm tired from rehearsals all day so I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I'll be sure to return to this in the morning if I feel like it.

bandgeekjessyes avatar bandgeekjessye Yeah You Are +2Reply
@bandgeekjessye Meh. I can go into all of the different philosophies I learn about in my music education methods classes but I...

http://www.google.com/search?so...efine%3Atalent

Most common definition is "natural skill", and that is what I'm going by. Plenty of words have multiple meanings, yet the first one is always the best and most common.

Even with your meaning, this post is wrong.
What, only people who play an instrument are capable? Do only they "have the capacity for success"? With your definition this post is even more wrong than it is with mine.

@Nacklefoodle http://www.google.com/search?so...efine%3Atalent Most common definition is "natural skill"...

-shrug- go by what you will, and so will I.

From my understanding and interpretation of the original post, I gathered that the poster was trying to say that at least we have a hobby and something that we're trying for to better ourselves. But, seeing as I don't know the poster and I'm not a mind reader, I don't know the original intent. Perhaps they'll weigh in.

bandgeekjessyes avatar bandgeekjessye Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Nacklefoodle How in the world is "they have talent" = "they have a hobby"?

The poster did not say "they have talent" they said "they have A talent". Which can be taken to mean they have a hobby or activity they enjoy doing. Like i said, I don't know the poster and I'm not a mind reader, so if the poster feels like clarifying, that's up to them.

However, my hobby is sleeping and seeing as I'm human and it's 1:41 in the morning, I'm going to bed so that I can get up and work tomorrow to continue to make money and be a productive member of society. Good night.

@Nacklefoodle Talent isn't a hobby. A talent isn't a hobby.

And I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. Read the rest of the comment idiot. Good night for real.

@bandgeekjessye And I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. Read the rest of the comment idiot. Good night for real.

Oh, so I'm an idiot now that you've made a completely obscure point and I don't agree with it?

I understood completely what you said. All of it. But it's complete bullshit.
The OP, by your words, said "they have a talent" and might have meant "they have a hobby/activity" which is in no way at all what a talent is.
Just because you've no idea what the definition of that word is doesn't make me wrong. A talent is a natural skill. Natural skill is something not everyone with an instrument has the opportunity to have. That is all.

@alsatt In my opinion, playing a musical instrument is a talent. That's why I posted this.

Thank you for your clarification. I agree with you. Now, I'm done arguing with this person. :)

Playing a musical instrument is a skill. Some of those playing instruments DO have talent (i.e. natural skill) but most have just learnt it by practice.

@bandgeekjessye COULD HAVE MEANT COULD HAVE MEANT COULD HAVE MEANT COULD HAVE MENT.

Might have meant is the same thing. Learn to read.

It couldN'T have meant that, is my point. Even the OP said that.

So, I started an argument that playing an instrument isn't a talent, we went through this huge debate and ended on a completely irrelevant point which was finished with the OP stating exactly what I was arguing about.
Nice.