+193

It's so dumb to gauge someone's success on how much money they make or what job they have. Money and possessions aren't the purpose of life, they are simply things you must have in order to carry on a greater purpose. What is success then? What is purpose? To become a better person and to contribute to a better world, whatever that might look like, amirite?

Joe_Larsons avatar
7 10
The voters have decided that Joe_Larson is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1388954

yes, I see what you're saying. Certainly a job and/or money CAN be a sign of success, but it should not be an objective gauge like society has made it. As you said, success is subjective. I still stand by my OP saying that success is (very broadly) making yourself a better person and the world a better place. A lot of people can do this through their jobs and education, but some people manifest it in other ways, and should not be looked down on for, say, working at a gas station

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are +1Reply

I don't know, when I see a homeless guy I consider him much less successful then most people.

@soberlikekesha I don't know, when I see a homeless guy I consider him much less successful then most people.

well as I said in OP, money is a means to an end. If you don't make money, it will be a lot harder to pursue a greater purpose. Homeless people are usually limited to an unsuccessful life because they do not have the money to get anything done

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are 0Reply

This is what poor people say to make themselves feel better.

@This is what poor people say to make themselves feel better.

Agreed. If some pompous, rich asshole comes along bragging about how "successful" they are, just let them brag and move on.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +2Reply

It's how the world should be but isn't because it's a lot easier to live life with the single goal of earning money.

My parents have the impression that having an assload of money is the definition of success.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are -1Reply

This makes sense except for it doesn’t.

I couldn't read the entire thing.

Anonymous