+172

There WAS a clear distinction between right and wrong. It was black and white. Popular culture, over the years, has constantly blurred that line, throwing in 'who cares?' grenades and popping off, 'its not hurting anyone' bullets until the line has become a disgusting puddle of gray with the black and white edges slowly drowning. amirite?

danieljc2008s avatar
17 51
The voters have decided that danieljc2008 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1391446

People know when something they do is iffy or just plain out wrong. Or right. Its a feeling you get, and people simply don't want to admit it because of pride or fear.

danieljc2008s avatar danieljc2008 Yeah You Are -3Reply
@1391458

Popular. Culture. Ruining the line.

danieljc2008s avatar danieljc2008 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1391483

When the parents teach the right thing, learn the right thing, from the right source, it'll be clear again.

The line has always been blurred, it's just changed over the years. It's ignorant to think there was always a consensus on moral issues.

@1448146

The Bible has been continuously altered, manipulated, and corrupted through political editing and mistranslation. That is hardly black and white.

@DanielJames The Bible has been continuously altered, manipulated, and corrupted through political editing and mistranslation...

every time the bible was translated, it was translated STRAIGHT from the original languages, Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. Over 100 biblical and lingual scholars were working together, revising continuously the text so that the essence and message of the Bible would be as accurate as possible.

danieljc2008s avatar danieljc2008 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@danieljc2008 every time the bible was translated, it was translated STRAIGHT from the original languages, Hebrew, Aramaic and...

There are words in each language that do not exist in other languages. They were forced to use inaccurate modern words that do not mean the same thing as the original word.

For example, homosexuality in ancient times meant ancient world’s sexual abuse of slaves, pederasty, rape of foreigners and pagan fertility rites. None of those ancient practices are analogs to modern homosexuality.

And entire books were taken out of the Bible because people decided that they didn't want them in there.

@DanielJames There are words in each language that do not exist in other languages. They were forced to use inaccurate modern...

the bible wasnt translated word-for-word, that would make it inaccurate and difficult to read. instead, passages, phrases and sentences were read, analyzed and studied and then translated in the best possible way for readers of the time to understand.

Entire books were taken out of the bible because they didn't contribute to the story. Most of them were just random acts of kings.

Regardless of what the word meant back then, God destroyed entire cities because of continuous homosexuality in the modern sense. a passage in the bible states that in Romans 1:23-27 NLT:

And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles. So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other...

danieljc2008s avatar danieljc2008 Yeah You Are -1Reply
@danieljc2008 the bible wasnt translated word-for-word, that would make it inaccurate and difficult to read. instead, passages...

"the bible wasnt translated word-for-word, that would make it inaccurate and difficult to read"

Yes, it would ruin the fluidity of the text, but it would be much, much more accurate than simply choosing similar words.

"Entire books were taken out of the bible because they didn't contribute to the story"

The Bible is God's Word, yes? Shouldn't everything He says be important?

And that passage is completely irrelevant. I wasn't saying modern homosexuality is or isn't frowned upon anywhere in the Bible, I was providing an example of distinct mistranslation.

@DanielJames "the bible wasnt translated word-for-word, that would make it inaccurate and difficult to read" Yes, it would ruin...

i'm not entirely sure as to when the bible was first put together, but I know for a fact that it was a good amount of time after the last book was experienced. the bible is made up off eyewitness reports, the writings of scribes, letters, phrophesys and the direct writings of God himself. (He can do that.) as far as i know, hose were not put together until the bible in its entirety was first written. its writers chose those passages that most reflected God's works and love for us.

sometimes the words in english, or Spanish or whatever, that would best translate the original words, don't exist. they did the best that they could with the words that we have, and I know that the essence of the bible was kept true to the original.

wouldn't it be the same throughout the bible?

danieljc2008s avatar danieljc2008 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@danieljc2008 i'm not entirely sure as to when the bible was first put together, but I know for a fact that it was a good amount...

Yes, the original writers of the Bible chose the passages that most reflect God's work and love. Then, throughout time, religious sects arbitrarily discarded certain books of the Bible.

And, yes, I am well aware that certain words do not have exact equivalents across every language. I said that above. Instead of using several words to describe the original word exactly, however, scholars would often replace it with a similar singular word. Every time someone changes a word, it's meaning changes slightly. Since the Bible's text has been changed so many times over history, it has conceivably changed significantly.

And the ONLY way you can "know that the essence of the Bible was kept true to the original" is if you speak perfect Hebrew and Greek.

And no... using the word "homosexual" isn't the same as using the phrase "women having sex with other women." The latter is clear; the former is subject to the evolution of language.

@DanielJames Yes, the original writers of the Bible chose the passages that most reflect God's work and love. Then, throughout...

The translations was translated from the ORIGINAL scriptures. They didn't take other translations and translate those. Each of them strived to reflect the original text as clearly as possible so that its readers could see the original structure and message.

My God, I could've sworn this was a racist joke the first time I read it d smilie

Anyway, getting past that, I think you're wrong. You can't say the line has only just become blurred. Culture, and NOT just the culture we live in today, is always changing what's considered right and what's considered wrong. A lot of white folk used to honestly believe blacks should be treated like animals. Now, we say it's wrong. The line is always blurred because it's always changing, and a lot of it depends on an individual's moral compass.

The only reason this has a positive score is because you worded it so well.

Would you kill one person to save five? Smother a crying baby to save you and your hidden companions during wartime?

I read something like this in a Time article. Right and wrong is most certainly blurred.

I don't think there was ever a time when there was a line separating good from bad, or at least a time where that line was morally correct. When was this line you speak of?

You just mindfucked the shit out of me.

mattreynoldss avatar mattreynolds Yeah You Are +1Reply

I agree with what Logan said in that culture is all around us and that the "line" or "blur" (I think it's a blur) of right or wrong cannot possible be influenced by culture, seeing as what's perceived as right or wrong are part of culture already. Culture is defined as : "The system of shared beliefs, values, customs, behaviours, and artifacts that the members of society use to cope with their world and with one another, and that are transmitted from generation to generation through learning" - http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/a...1/culture.html
All cultures all over the world are different fron one another, therefore they all have different beliefs and values, and different behaviors that are deemed acceptable to the society that lives by these cultures.
The values and customs of culture are passed down by generation, and if history has taught as anything, it's that society and culture changes from generation to generation. Owning black slaves and slaughtering Jews was considered a "right" thing by many a long time ago. Now human slavery is outlawed in the States and the Nazi's actions are thought of as a dark time in human history. Collectively, ...

@MsVerbalVomit I agree with what Logan said in that culture is all around us and that the "line" or "blur" (I think it's a blur)...

... right and wrong had always been a gray blur. And even then, people were fighting against the power of Nazi Germany and standing up for black's rights. Not everyone had or has the same idea of right and wrong. Time and opinion are gray.
And contributing to Chewbanshee and Foodums's debate above, the things that are viewed as right or wrong today aren't concrete. A rape victim that killed their rapist will say it was in self defence, doesn't that justify it? Even though murder is illegal? That's what our courts of law are for, for distinguishing the line of right or wrong according to the situation of the circumstance.
So saying popular culture is blurring right and wrong is, in my opinion, invalid, because no one culture has a concrete model of morals anyway, and that's already immersed in culture. To say culture has influence over right or wrong doesn't make much sense. And it was never black or white to begin with, it was always a puddle of gray.

@MsVerbalVomit right and wrong had always been a gray blur. And even then, people were fighting against the power of Nazi...

Exactly! The only I do not agree with, is that culture has no influence over morals. I do not believe that it has blurred the lines per se, but it certainly has a great deal of influence over our views. As for the courts being there to sort things out, I do not think their decisions are always correct because they are biased at times and influenced by society. But we're all human, therefore we must leave room for error.

@Chewbanshee Exactly! The only I do not agree with, is that culture has no influence over morals. I do not believe that it has...

What I meant was that the idea of right and wrong is already part of culture. Culture is defined as values and beliefs held by people, wouldn't that include morals?
And can a decision made by a court really be categorized as correct or incorrect? As I said before, everyone has a different opinion of right or wrong, even if they're of the same cultural background. There'll always be a good number of people who don't agree with the majority's decision; that goes the same for a courtroom. And society does influence legal decisions, but that's to be expected if the members of a courtroom are also members of society.

I was going to post this but this is poetic.
This topic has been bothering me for the longest time.
But just a question, how were the first morals made?
Because if we didn't have morals (NOT INSTINCT), we would be living like animals (such as I)

OnePenguins avatar OnePenguin Yeah You Are 0Reply
@OnePenguin I was going to post this but this is poetic. This topic has been bothering me for the longest time. But just a...

Well, if you believe that there are moral absolutes, then you believe there's a god of some sort.

pantherfanatics avatar pantherfanatic Yeah You Are -1Reply

There's no such thing as right and wrong. Just your opinion and mine.

@Chewbanshee There's no such thing as right and wrong. Just your opinion and mine.

Okay, so if I rape a girl, I didnt do anything wrong. As long as I see it as right, its ok.

pantherfanatics avatar pantherfanatic Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Chewbanshee Correct. Serial killers think they're right. And who's to tell them otherwise?

Yes, and this is what Jeffrey Dahmer thought. He said if there's no God to punish me for what I'm doing, and Earth is all there is, why not do what I want?

pantherfanatics avatar pantherfanatic Yeah You Are 0Reply
@pantherfanatic Yes, and this is what Jeffrey Dahmer thought. He said if there's no God to punish me for what I'm doing, and Earth...

Well we are given free will, so in my opinion he had the right to do as it pleased. Whether that meant killing 17 men, or creating the next weapon of mass destruction which would end the lives of even more people.

So the Germans think killing Jews is right? It just Hitler's opinion and your's.

@So the Germans think killing Jews is right? It just Hitler's opinion and your's.

Never said it was good. Why are you associating good with the right thing? Society has polluted you all....just think for a moment. I'm not tryna make you go to the dark side, btw.

@RunThePacific Trololoololololololo.

I swear to the god, whom I don't believe in that I'm not trolling..

@Chewbanshee I swear to the god, whom I don't believe in that I'm not trolling..

Okay, but it sounds like it. The way you think is... scary. If you murder someone and think it's okay, then it is okay? No, murder is wrong, end of story. It doesn't matter what you think when you do it, it is wrong.

@RunThePacific Okay, but it sounds like it. The way you think is... scary. If you murder someone and think it's okay, then it is...

I'm not saying it is. Nor would I consider murdering someone. Though it may sound like it, I am not a psychopath. All I'm asking is that you consider the idea that our morals may be based on opinion. And as for the murder issue, you should never under any circumstance take the life of another human being, in my opinion. But talk to a rape victim who killed her rapist, and she will justify that it was an act self defence. But that doesn't make it 'right' either.

Hmm I somewhat agree with you. But my problem is this: do you really think that in real life, anyone ever considers themselves the bad guy? I know in cartoons there's the whole "muahaha I'm evil thing", but it's my belief that everyone does things for their own benefit. But are you saying there are no near absolute goods and evils that a vast majority of society clings to? I suppose then the debate would be whether or not these things are justifiable in our society and why.

@SemiColin Hmm I somewhat agree with you. But my problem is this: do you really think that in real life, anyone ever considers...

Well naturally no one thinks themselves to be the bad guy, because like you said we all do things that are beneficiary and we think them to be positive. Hitler didn't try to kill all the Jews because he thought he was doing evil and hurting others. He only sought to rid the world anyone who was did not have blue eyes and blonde hair because he believed it was not 'right' that they should exist. And yes there are goods and evils that society clings to for the sake of sanity. For example on one end of the spectrum is feeding the hungry and helping the poor, and on the other is taking the life of another. In today's society these are undeniable goods and evils. But the absolute goods and evils are still opinion based. You are right in saying that the debate would be whether or not these things are justifiable in our society and why.

@Chewbanshee Well naturally no one thinks themselves to be the bad guy, because like you said we all do things that are...

I suppose what I'm saying is in context, these good deeds are what we'd call right and evil deeds are what we'd call wrong. You can have an opinion on them, but I still think right and wrong exist in society.

Anonymous