+1

It's funny how some atheists claim not to believe in God, and yet go out of their way to keep others from worshipping their own God, amirite?

heysoulsisters avatar
0 31
The voters have decided that heysoulsister is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You can't have met many atheists, then.

@colette You can't have met many atheists, then.

I've met quite a few, and heard about different situations. Especially things in the news.

heysoulsisters avatar heysoulsister Yeah You Are -1Reply

Why is that funny?

@heysoulsister Funny as in ironic.

That's not ironic...at least I don't see how it is.

@AtheisticMystic That's not ironic...at least I don't see how it is.

Because they claim not to believe in God; however, if they really didn't believe in God, it would make more sense for them to be apathetic about religious issues than for them to viciously fight against others' expression of gratitude to their God.

@heysoulsister Because they claim not to believe in God; however, if they really didn't believe in God, it would make more sense...

No it wouldn't. Because if they believe religion hurts the world, they'd want to speak out against it.

@AtheisticMystic No it wouldn't. Because if they believe religion hurts the world, they'd want to speak out against it.

Excepting extremism, religion does not 'hurt the world'. For example, setting a cross up in Ground Zero does not 'hurt the world'; it was intended for peace and had absolutely no negative effects or intentions, and yet some atheists came along and sued the company/whoever for setting it up.

@heysoulsister Excepting extremism, religion does not 'hurt the world'. For example, setting a cross up in Ground Zero does not...

Yeah, that's my athirst group, American Atheists Inc. That cross is just a bad idea. Plenty of non-Christians died in the attacks. Why only honor the Christian victims? If they put a cross there, they should have to put symbols for every religion as well as an atheist symbol. Atheists, Jews, agnostics, and Muslims died that day, too. Where is their symbol?

@AtheisticMystic Yeah, that's my athirst group, American Atheists Inc. That cross is just a bad idea. Plenty of non-Christians died...

Because, America is a Christian nation. Regardless of the fact that it is home to various other religions, it IS a Christian nation; erecting a cross in honor of the deaths of many Americans is more a display of patriotism than anything. America was not established as a multi-religious nation, no matter what these politcally correct eggshell walkers claim.

heysoulsisters avatar heysoulsister Yeah You Are -2Reply
@heysoulsister Because, America is a Christian nation. Regardless of the fact that it is home to various other religions, it IS a...

Ha bullshit. So many people came here to get AWAY from the people that said "this is a (insert religion here) nation!" And Christianity is NOT "patriotic". There are plenty of Jews, Muslims, agnostics, atheists, scientolgists, buddhists, Hindus, Druids, and deists that love the United States just as much as Christians, and maybe more. One's religion has nothing to do with their patriotism. If the founding fathers were here, they would tell you the same thing.

@AtheisticMystic Ha bullshit. So many people came here to get AWAY from the people that said "this is a (insert religion here)...

You clearly haven't learned much about history... though America IS a multi-CULTURE nation and is fundamentally accepting of all religions and cultures, it is not at its core multi-religious. It WAS established as a Christian nation, and I'm not gonna argue on that; you need to go that research for yourself, because it's not hard to figure out. People of different religions can be patriotic, certainly, and certainly can be more so than Christians. That doesn't change the core beliefs that this country was founded on.

@AtheisticMystic Dude...America was not founded on Christianity. You're just flat out wrong...

I didn't say it was founded on Christianity, now, did I? I said it was founded as a Christian nation. If you don't believe that, then you might want to go back and take U.S History again. Or simply do some research about the principles of this country.

@heysoulsister I didn't say it was founded on Christianity, now, did I? I said it was founded as a Christian nation. If you don't...

I'm in AP United States history. And by the principles of this country, you mean...? Just because most people in the country are/were Christians doesn't mean that the US is a Christian nation. It is a secular nation. Government and religion are separated, specifically because some people want it to be a "Christian nation".

@AtheisticMystic I'm in AP United States history. And by the principles of this country, you mean...? Just because most people in...

Oh cool, I just finished APUSH. This country was founded on the principles of Christianity. There is evidence of it throughout how this country USED to work - nowadays, the moral fabric of this country is quickly deteriorating. But, when founded, America was great because of it.
However, I realize that as society has turned, many Americans due to political correctness and such have been brainwashed to believe many things to be true, that aren't. Consequently, I don't think this argument is going to get anywhere.

This is an excerpt from the treaty of tripoli

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"

Even the treaty of tripoli states that we are not a Christian nation.

@Peppergirl14 This is an excerpt from the treaty of tripoli "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any...

Did you read the entire thread? I've said that America was NOT 'founded on Christianity', but that it was established AS a Christian nation. There is a large difference; we are not a theocracy, we were built on a certain set of morals and principles that are attributed only to Christianity.

@heysoulsister Did you read the entire thread? I've said that America was NOT 'founded on Christianity', but that it was...

The morals that you're talking about are stuff like murder is bad, stealing is bad, and all that, right?

@AtheisticMystic The morals that you're talking about are stuff like murder is bad, stealing is bad, and all that, right?

Those are some of them. But, what about homosexual marriage not being legal? Abortion not being legal? These are not things that are based on the standard secular system of morality. Those kinds of laws find foundation in the Bible.

@heysoulsister Those are some of them. But, what about homosexual marriage not being legal? Abortion not being legal? These are...

Well murder and stealing are covered in the Bible too, but that doesn't mean that's why they're illegal. They're illegal because they are obviously wrong and harmful to society. And that's the way some people view homosexuality and abortion. For example, my dad is an atheist, and he is against abortion and doesn't like the idea of gay marriage.

@AtheisticMystic Well murder and stealing are covered in the Bible too, but that doesn't mean that's why they're illegal. They're...

Does it matter? Christianity is the only faith that clearly states that homosexuality is wrong and condemns abortion in many ways. Without Christian faith, there is really no moral reason to be against homosexuality.
Off topic, however. To actually believe that America was founded as a secular nation is foolishness, though something tells me I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

@heysoulsister Does it matter? Christianity is the only faith that clearly states that homosexuality is wrong and condemns...

The founding fathers were secularists. They didn't want religion to influence government in any way.

@AtheisticMystic The founding fathers were secularists. They didn't want religion to influence government in any way.

Having religion influence the government vs. Having a religiously moral framework. Not the same thing. It's not like they created America as a theocracy; however they did follow certain principles and morals found only in the Christian faith.

@heysoulsister Having religion influence the government vs. Having a religiously moral framework. Not the same thing. It's not...

Because those are common things to believe! Not because they're Christian, but because they're valid points and principles. That's like saying that since I don't murder, steal, have sex with other men, or commit adultery, I'm basing my lifestyle on Christianity.