+108

There are a lot of people who need to understand that "what's up?" is a rhetorical question, amirite?

scloud22s avatar
3 15
The voters have decided that scloud22 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

...it isn't.

@silvershadow6 ...it isn't.

To elaborate: A rhetorical question is one you're not supposed to answer. You're supposed to answer "what's up?", so it's not a rhetorical question. A better way to put it would be a "figurative question".

It might sometimes be a rhetorical greeting but most of the time you're actually asking them what's going on...

THE SKY! AHAHAHAHA!

ctiscoolers avatar ctiscooler Yeah You Are +17Reply
@1763387

@Welovemuffins yeah it kinda does. I just figure it's better than embarrassing myself by telling them what's going on with me and later realizing that they're not listening or that they don't care. I mostly say "nothing" to see if the person is paying attention and a lot of times it gets the person to ask a better question than "what's up?"

@1763387

Well, if it's rhetorical, then you aren't.

@1763387

Hahaha
No, I was attempting to make a remark about how OP used rhetorical in the post but "what's up?" isn't actually a rhetorical question.

@1763387

I always just respond "nothing" because it gets awkward if you start telling that person what's happening in your life (and you can tell that they don't really want to listen to what you're saying) or if you just don't respond, they would just think you're ignoring them

No. If you don't want to know, don't ask. I find it so rude when someone asks "What's up?" or "How are you?" and doesn't wait for an answer.

I get that everyone quotes from time to time, but every single one of your posts are from funtweets.com. That's pretty gay. Just sayin'...

@I get that everyone quotes from time to time, but every single one of your posts are from funtweets.com. That's...

Yep! I find some of funny things on there and like sharing them. They are hilarious! But haha no, not all of them are from there. Just sayin'...

scloud22s avatar scloud22 Yeah You Are -8Reply
@scloud22 Yep! I find some of funny things on there and like sharing them. They are hilarious! But haha no, not all of them...

Well I did just skim over your post, but I didn't see one that I hadn't seen on funtweets before.