-17

It's annoying when white people talk about how equality should established by not giving privileges to African Americans. It's just them covering up for the horrible crimes their race has committed and trying take even more from us, amirite?

0 81
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Let me set something straight. What my ancestors did to your ancestors was horrible. However, I have never enslaved a black person and I am pretty positive you have never been enslaved by a white person. If you think you deserve special privileges because you're black, then you are the one who is rascist. If I can't get a college scholarship just for being white, you shouldn't get a college scholarship just for being black. And no one should get special privileges just because of what happened to their ancestors.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm Let me set something straight. What my ancestors did to your ancestors was horrible. However, I have never enslaved...

Maybe so, but white people are still racist and are always discriminating against us. White people are keeping us down with all the media. Who are the people criminalized on TV and movies? Black people. Who live in the ghettos in the movies and TV shows? Black people. You are the reason we've only had Obama as a black president, and a sad example. He acts more like a white man

@Maybe so, but white people are still racist and are always discriminating against us. White people are keeping us...

"White people are racist" is a racist statement. There are plenty of movies and tv shows that portray white people as the bad guy, and even portray black people as the victims of crimes. Get the fuck over yourself. Generalizing something about white people is just as racist as generalizing something about black people. Not all white people are racist.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm "White people are racist" is a racist statement. There are plenty of movies and tv shows that portray white people...

Sorry. I tried to take that comment back. I was a little emotional. White people are taught to be racist by media on instinct. And not all, I know. I'm sorry for that. Just those idiots who think it's a good idea to make black people all the "gangsters" in movies. Mostly white men

@Sorry. I tried to take that comment back. I was a little emotional. White people are taught to be racist by media...

"White people are taught to be racist." Again, generalizing. My parents taught me to be accepting of people who had different colored skin that I do, and I plan on teaching my kids the same. I have gone to school, been friends with, and worked with some very nice black people and I've also been around some black people who aren't so nice. Just as I've gone to school with, been friends with, and worked with some very nice white people and been around some who aren't so nice. You are also being very racist and sexist towards white men right now, which I do not appreciate. There are some white men who are very important to me and I do not like what you are generalizing about them.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm "White people are taught to be racist." Again, generalizing. My parents taught me to be accepting of people who had...

Same. My school is hugely diverse. I know people from literally all over the world. I know assholes and bitches and lovely amazing people. I don't give a shit about the colour of their skin. All I know is I need help so I can keep going to school, but I'm gunna have to work a hell of a lot harder to get it than if I weren't white (which simply is NOT fair).

@twisted_memories Same. My school is hugely diverse. I know people from literally all over the world. I know assholes and bitches and...

My high school wasn't very diverse, it was mainly white people and Mexicans, with a few black people. My college is a lot more diverse though. My classes so far have all been online though so I don't interact with other people very much yet.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm My high school wasn't very diverse, it was mainly white people and Mexicans, with a few black people. My college is...

In my high school, I was one of I think 5 white people. Everyone else was Native. I think there was a half black/half native guy. That was it. My university is huge though, with sooo many different people. I kinda love it.

I hope you get to have some classroom classes! I've done online classes, it's just more tough and not as fun.

@twisted_memories In my high school, I was one of I think 5 white people. Everyone else was Native. I think there was a half...

I have this upcoming Spring semester online and then I'll start taking classes on campus during the summer. I'm just not looking forward to the three hour round trip commute a few days a week.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm I have this upcoming Spring semester online and then I'll start taking classes on campus during the summer. I'm...

Oh that sucks. I had no choice but to live on campus for my first 2 years (then I did a year at home via distance ed after my dad died). Finally now I've got an apartment near school. I actually think it's cheaper than living in residence.

I hope you love it though! Also, don't ever miss class unless you totally have to. You really do get way more from a lecture than a text book (more because the prof/instructors tell you what to expect on exams and whatnot). I think online courses are easier to follow though.

@twisted_memories Oh that sucks. I had no choice but to live on campus for my first 2 years (then I did a year at home via distance...

What college do you go to? Mine doesn't really have student housing, they just have on-campus apartments through an apartment agency, so I don't think they really require freshmen to live on campus. Online is definitely easy to follow. I think I would have difficulty following someone talking the whole time.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm What college do you go to? Mine doesn't really have student housing, they just have on-campus apartments through an...

I go to a university in Manitoba (there are 3 main ones, I'm not gunna say which one, just because this is the internets). It's pretty big, tons of housing. But it's expensive :(

See, in class is easier in some ways and not so in others. Definitely see a rate your professor website before selecting classes if you can. I like taking notes on a lap top (sometimes they go pretty quickly), but smaller classes are better (your school sounds small, so it will probably be fairly small classrooms, which is nice). Profs in small classes also give more one-on-one, which is nice, too. Online it's laid out better I find, but in class you have better chances to talk to someone in person for help, which is generally easier than email. So there are pros and cons for both. Personally, as I'm lacking a little in self-discipline, I prefer classes in person.

@twisted_memories I go to a university in Manitoba (there are 3 main ones, I'm not gunna say which one, just because this is the...

Actually, my school is pretty big. Bigger than the college my sister went to, at least. I'm pretty nervous about starting campus classes. I still don't know the campus very well. I used the rate my professors website for the first semester, but this semester(my second) I was just like screw it. Haha

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm Actually, my school is pretty big. Bigger than the college my sister went to, at least. I'm pretty nervous about...

Ah well, you'll get to know the campus really quickly. I like lecture theatres sometimes, the big ones, because generally the prof sticks to what's important and the notes go a little slower. I dunno, there are pros and cons to all of it. Just enjoy the feel of being surrounded by so many people with the same sort of goal. It's a nice feeling.

@twisted_memories Ah well, you'll get to know the campus really quickly. I like lecture theatres sometimes, the big ones, because...

Yeah, a lot of my major related classes will be on campus. I am excited about that because I'll get to hear different people's opinions on the subject and such.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm Yeah, a lot of my major related classes will be on campus. I am excited about that because I'll get to hear...

Awesome. Don't be scared to speak in class either when they ask questions. Profs love that lol. Plus you'll get to feel cool when you have a debate haha.

@1471398

I don't know what I replied to, lol. But yeah, I don't care if you print it out.

@1471409

Thank you very much there =] I hope you do get an A!

@1471398

How on earth were you the Devil's Advocate? And sure, it's the internets.

Edit: Sorry, I got Devil's Advocate confused with something else... Anyway, well done.

@So you got a good education. That doesn't mean that everyone did

I'm getting a good education, though not without financial aid. My graduating class was 5 people. My high school wasn't the best school. I didn't have many opportunities. I'm lucky I got the education I did given where I grew up.

@1471436

Haha I tend to stick to my guns when I'm positive about something. Go for it.

@By the media. Not parents. And I'm not saying that they all are. Just many.

The media has never taught me to be racist either. I am intelligent enough to know the difference between reality and television, and I am also intelligent enough to make up my own opinions on people based on how they treat me and how they treat others, not based on their skin color.

@Maybe not for you and your community, but most people it's unconscious and it is there

Again, you are generalizing. Just because you have been discriminated against does not make it ok for you to discriminate against others.

@1471397

Fine by me. I hope you get an A on the assignment =]

You can say the exact same thing for women in the media (with different negative examples). But I could easily show you positive examples of black people in the media as well.

As I just said, "Racism is discriminating against someone because of their race. Anyone can be racist and anyone can experience racism."

Don't say white people are "always discriminating" against you. I'm white, I've never discriminated against you. What you're saying is racist.

@twisted_memories You can say the exact same thing for women in the media (with different negative examples). But I could easily show...

Fine, I admit, it's not all white people. It's the media. It's horrible to us. Not to mention that sexism is wrong too; it's just not the topic we are discussing. We deserve something to make up for the media's discrimination, that convinces white people and everyone who is not black that they shouldn't trust us and should hold on to their wallets. Not to mention the children who then believe they are going to fail in life because they are not white or half white like Obama

@Fine, I admit, it's not all white people. It's the media. It's horrible to us. Not to mention that sexism is wrong...

I think that's silly. If you can't understand the difference between reality and tv, something is wrong with you. Race issues are hardly the only issue with media. Everything is wrong with the media from racism, sexism, violence, and so much more. The media is as horrible to me as it is to you, so your racism argument is quite invalid. Besides, most tv shows now purposefully have a "racially diverse" cast because of the issue you're talking about. Not much has been done for women in that respect. So do I deserve something for that?

Obviously something should be done about the media issues, so you might as well include all issues when talking about that. The media is controlled largely by white, middle aged men (clearly, there are multiple issues with this).

Also, my favourite tv cop is black (Agent Derek Morgan, mm). So obviously not every black person on tv is portrayed as a thug or whatever. I'm sure it's still skewed in that direction though, as there are strong female figures in the media too, the majority are still portrayed as sexual symbols.
I'm kinda all over the place now. Sorry. Regardless, my point is you can't blame all white people for racism as that's racist.

@twisted_memories I think that's silly. If you can't understand the difference between reality and tv, something is wrong with you...

I'm not. Like you, I am blaming white MEN. I'm a woman too, and find those things insulting. And I never said that you are racist. My post was about how we deserve the scholarships to make up for the negativity, since that is a threat and insult to our education. And teen mothers get scholarships as well, since the media is the one to sexualize us and make us into whores.

@I'm not. Like you, I am blaming white MEN. I'm a woman too, and find those things insulting. And I never said that...

"...white people are still racist and are always discriminating against us. White people are keeping us down with all the media."

I'm white, I'm a people, you were racist towards me. Accept it, apologize, move on.

The media should clean the fuck up and/or parents should start teaching their kids the difference between what's real and what's on tv. Not throw scholarships at people. That's not why they do it anyway. Besides, as I said before, there are quite a few black people portrayed very well in the media (most of the black women I [personally] see on tv are in powerful positions as a character, i.e., cop, doctor, business woman, etc.), so for every black kid that grows up to be a doctor should you say it's the media's cause? No, it's not. Parents need to start parenting.

@twisted_memories "...white people are still racist and are always discriminating against us. White people are keeping us down with...

I took that back somewhere around here.......I apoligize. And as I said on another comment here, which I know you saw as you commented on it (I havent read the comment yet).

@Sorry, I had commented on the parents is what I meant

I thought the other anon might be you, but you can never be totally sure.

@Not many people seem to agree with me......so yes.

I think I clarified my point more in my most recent comment to the above discussion. I think race or gender should have nothing to do with whether or not someone gets financial assistance. You shouldn't even be allowed to inquire about race or gender on an application for financial aid.

No, you do not deserve a scholarship just for the color of your skin. Nor do you deserve one for being a woman. Scholarships should be based purely on academic and athletic ability, not on something that no one has any control over. Stop bitching about being discriminated against when you are the one being racist. I have never said or done anything racist to you, so generalizing something about white people is being racist against me. See, you're not the only one who can be discriminated against, and you are definitely capable of being racist yourself. Who gives a damn what the media portrays. Put your big girl panties on and deal.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm No, you do not deserve a scholarship just for the color of your skin. Nor do you deserve one for being a woman...

I am not saying I am the only one discriminated against, and I am not saying you did. I take it back if I did. And those scholarships truly help people in need.

@I am not saying I am the only one discriminated against, and I am not saying you did. I take it back if I did. And...

There are plenty of white people who are also in need. If you agree that you are not the only one discriminated against, then stop acting like you deserve something special for it. You want something special? Here, have a cookie. Feel better?

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm There are plenty of white people who are also in need. If you agree that you are not the only one discriminated...

They should get scholarships too. I'm just saying they should take away the scholarships for black people. And I think if they can find a way to explain it on their applications, then white people should also get support on the case of social discrimination

@They should get scholarships too. I'm just saying they should take away the scholarships for black people. And I...

Le sigh. No. One. Should. Get. A. Fucking. Scholarship. Based. On. Descrimination. Hell, everyone could get a scholarship then because everyone has been discriminated against at some point in their life. Doesn't mean they deserve a scholarship. Scholarships should be given to people because of their accomplishments or to help out in the case of not having enough money(such as HOPE, Pell Grant, etc.) NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE BLACK!

I hope you're trolling. Otherwise you're a douche.

@AtheisticMystic I hope you're trolling. Otherwise you're a douche.

I'm the douche? How is it fair that white people can trample us in society, and then want to take away our advantages?

@I'm the douche? How is it fair that white people can trample us in society, and then want to take away our advantages?

You don't deserve advantages. That's like if I said since my great grandfather was killed by yours, so you owe me money, scholarships, other special treatment. It's bullshit. You don't deserve special treatment because of something that happened to your ancestors hundreds of years ago. You, sir, are the racist one.

@AtheisticMystic You don't deserve advantages. That's like if I said since my great grandfather was killed by yours, so you owe me...

First, I'm a women. Second, I'm speaking of the long term effects of slavery. The media makes us seem like thieves and no goods. Other races instinctively don't trust us, and other black people believ they won't amount to anything. Those scholarships incourage them to work for something and they can get somewhere.

@First, I'm a women. Second, I'm speaking of the long term effects of slavery. The media makes us seem like thieves...

Well...first off you're a woman, not a women, there is an E in believe, and you're encouraged, not incouraged. And the reason you think the media is biased against you is that more violent crimes are committed in primarily black neighborhoods than in white neighborhoods. And scholarships for being black discourage work, not encourage it.

@AtheisticMystic Well...first off you're a woman, not a women, there is an E in believe, and you're encouraged, not incouraged. And...

O, i'm sorie, did i knot spel to the gremer nasis wishs? They are committed in black neighborhoods because the media made them expect to be that way.

@It encourages it

...By saying how terrible crime is?

@1471444

Umm...sure? So wait, this was you trolling the whole time?

@1471756

Okay, well good work. And you're welcome.

Or maybe we simply think everyone should be equal. We all deserve equal chance at whatever (say a job, school, financial aid, etc.) regardless of race. I'm sick of racism, I've dealt with it my whole life.

@No, I'm sick of white people's racism! What do you know it as a white person?

Ah well obviously because I'm white I've never been the target of racism. I've never had someone beat me up because I'm white, I've never been excluded from any school programs or opportunities because I'm white, I've never been mistreated because I'm white. Oh wait, yes, I have.

Racism is discriminating against someone because of their race. Anyone can be racist and anyone can experience racism.

@twisted_memories Ah well obviously because I'm white I've never been the target of racism. I've never had someone beat me up because...

Ok, I feel sorry for you, and I'm sorry that people have treated that way. But it's because of media how teaches black people to act that way. Those scholarships make it so their jobs provide more money and ability to make better African Americans

@Ok, I feel sorry for you, and I'm sorry that people have treated that way. But it's because of media how teaches...

Yeah, and women are portrayed as sluts in the media so they're all whoring around, and kids grow up to kill people because of violent video games. Sorry, but I just don't believe that crap. If your kid can't differentiate between reality and tv, then you're not being a very good parent. I said before, the media is a mess, but that doesn't mean someone should get special privileges because of it. I'm not gunna get any scholarships simply for being a woman.

@twisted_memories Yeah, and women are portrayed as sluts in the media so they're all whoring around, and kids grow up to kill people...

If you get pregnant, you will. And the media just triggers it, especially for children of ghetto parents, dominantly black. Which brings me to the subject, from the beginning black people were put in ghettos and were uneducated, so they grew up believing that the ghetto is where they belong. The media helps this

@If you get pregnant, you will. And the media just triggers it, especially for children of ghetto parents...

Except when the media portrays successful black people who got out of these places... It goes both ways.

Anyway, if I got pregnant the only thing triggering it would be me opening my legs.

Parents need to parent, the media needs to be less gross (but it's only going to get worse), and we need to stop throwing money at people and start looking for actual solutions (as clearly throwing money at problems doesn't help at all).

@twisted_memories Except when the media portrays successful black people who got out of these places... It goes both ways. Anyway...

Really? Because more black are people are going to university then before because of those scholarships. And while people shouldn't listen to media and parents should parents, it's not happening, and that I's why yhe scholarships are there

@Really? Because more black are people are going to university then before because of those scholarships. And while...

They should get the scholarships because they are in financial need, not because they are black. My white friend (quite poor) got some financial assistance for school (not enough to actually go, though, even with the money saved from working all year [of which much had to go to supporting her family]), but she had to work incredibly hard to get scholarships. My native friend applied with a one page application and got all of her schooling paid for as well as living allowances and rent and travel expenses. Her family wasn't even in nearly as much financial need as my white friend.

You shouldn't even have to declare on an application whether you're a visible minority or not, a woman or not, or whatever. You should get assistance because you NEED it.

@twisted_memories They should get the scholarships because they are in financial need, not because they are black. My white friend...

It should play a FACTOR, as they are given more trouble then most. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be giving out more scholarships in general.

@It should play a FACTOR, as they are given more trouble then most. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be giving out...

No, it shouldn't play any factor. It should be as simple as, "Hey, this kid needs help so (s)he can go to school. As long as they do well, we'll keep supporting them."

(Also, side note, I think single parents should get assistance [as well as people who genuinely need it] regardless or race or gender.)