+366

Some people make you feel like not going to college is possibily the worst mistake you could make in your life, amirite?

333Three333s avatar Education
2 23
The voters have decided that 333Three333 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

"I'm going to become an artist."
"No one will look at your art if you don't have a college degree!"

"I'm going to become a stay at home wife."
"Don't be an idiot, get a degree you need it!"

"I'm going to be a hobo living in the subway eating rats and befriending a box I name Charles."
"Charles better have a college degree!"

ScrewMidols avatar ScrewMidol Yeah You Are +15Reply

I'm all for college. For the sake of getting a job and for the sake of education. There are grants out there and community college to help people who don't necessarily have enough money. I'm all for education. And, it's unlikely that you can make good money outisde of getting a college degree.

@1486023

If you are a straight-A student and don't have a monetary barrier, why wouldn't you want to go to college?

@YouveJustBeenTrolled If you are a straight-A student and don't have a monetary barrier, why wouldn't you want to go to college?

Because maybe I want to do something fun with my life. Maybe I want to avoid a bunch of work for a career I probably will not enjoy. Maybe I think differently than you.

@ThymeAgain Because maybe I want to do something fun with my life. Maybe I want to avoid a bunch of work for a career I...

Cool down. I wasn't trying to insult you or anything, I was just asking. Most people don't enjoy their job. They don't have the privilege of just wanting to do something fun. And, usually, people that don't have a plan and live life just according to what is fun, don't make as much money or get to do what they want in life.

@YouveJustBeenTrolled Cool down. I wasn't trying to insult you or anything, I was just asking. Most people don't enjoy their job. They...

Oh, I wasn't pissed. I just always talk like an angry person. And this is true, but why not try? I don't have any particular thing I really want to do, so I figure that college may be unnecessary if I'm going to have some random minimum wage job. :P

@ThymeAgain Oh, I wasn't pissed. I just always talk like an angry person. And this is true, but why not try? I don't have any...

Oh...that's horribly pessimistic. I think going to college is an optimistic thing, because you're right, there is no guarantee that you'll end up using it. Buuut, I think it is a good investment. Otherwise, you probably will end up at a minimum wage job, miserable, wishing you had a career that paid better and made you happier. Most people don't know what they want to do, but the point of college is to figure that out and give you the skills necessary for a particular job field. The majority of people end up changing their major so it's not like you're life is going to be set in stone. Besides, college is actually pretty fun besides, the workload.

@1489717

I'm sorry...But, that's right now. I'm assuming you're in highschool? Anyway, you still have a lot of life ahead of you. You don't have to give up before you've even really started living. And, nobody really knows what they want to do in high school. If you don't mind me asking, why don't you like school?

@1495072

Yeah, I realize that half of the stuff we learn in school will most likely have no relevance when you actually get a job. However, the way I see it is that it is just another stepping stone, something that cannot be avoided. You do well in school(even when what you learn is pointless) so that you can go to a good college and then get a good job and make a good life for yourself. I realize it is incredibly tiring, but it'll be well worth it, in the end. Besides, when you're young, I think it is hard to look ahead and think that it'll get better, but it does. That probably isn't any consolation now, but it will get better. College is hard, but it is much more freeing. You might be trapped now, but that's not forever. Education is the way out, as is a good job. My sister worked her ass off in school and at work, and now she has her in apartment, her own car, just a pretty good life. Just don't give up. "Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, even our troubles."

@1497228

That would be nice... Then again, I guess you could say that about anything in life.

I just wish high schools wouldn't completely ignore legit vocational schools and act as if college is the only form of education after high school. Not everyone is right for college.

My school has a sign saying College: Not if, but where! It's really ignoring that not all students are the same.

Oh my goodness, I totally agree. I want to go to culinary school, and if that doesn't work out, be a housewife, but my grandpa is head of a school district in Arkansas, so he's very...ah, passionate about all his grandkids going to college. He got so mad at me once for getting a C on a math test, I can't imagine what he'll say when I finally tell him I'm not going to college.

I'm homeschooled and my parents have always been very accepting of my decisions, and say it's fine that I don't go to college, but I can tell they really want me to go. It's so frustrating. :P

CWYJFans avatar CWYJFan Yeah You Are -1Reply
@CWYJFan Oh my goodness, I totally agree. I want to go to culinary school, and if that doesn't work out, be a housewife...

Just curious here, why do you want to be a housewife? That seems so very boring and demeaning.

@BowBowBow Just curious here, why do you want to be a housewife? That seems so very boring and demeaning.

Boring? Heh, maybe for some people. I have 5 siblings so there's 6 kids in our house, and we homeschool. It is NEVER boring, whether it's an hour-long chase for the chickens, milking the cow, patching clothes, making dinner for 8 people, watching your sister run screaming from the rooster, planting/taking care of/harvesting the garden, snapping peas, canning peaches, helping siblings with schoolwork, making jelly and jam, sewing, knitting, going to the farmer's market, fishing at the little river behind our house, climbing trees, super-gluing your sibling's cut closed when they bust open their head, etc...

Yeah. For a lot of people, that sounds boring, but for me...it's awesome. :) I can't wait till I have kids of my own.

CWYJFans avatar CWYJFan Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1485631

Yes, that's true...it's just that college is SO expensive and if I had no need for it, then that's, what? $10,000+ down the drain?

I know everyone nowadays says you need college "just in case" but this particular "just in case" has a pretty hefty price tag. :/

CWYJFans avatar CWYJFan Yeah You Are +5Reply

I don't believe in college.

DDasias avatar DDasia Yeah You Are -4Reply