+68

Religions attempts to rationalize the unexplainable. All these insane rationalizations are eventually disproved. Before weather science, religions claimed the cause of natural disasters was the sole result of the will of God. Before evolution was adopted as a factual process by rational humans, theists believed God created each individual separately. One day, the creation of the universe will have an irrefutable scientific explanation. The only question is what religions will grasp at then.

20 86

what if i understand scientific facts AND believe in God? whats wrong with that

@what if i understand scientific facts AND believe in God? whats wrong with that

Read the post again... the post really isn't related to this. I'm simply stating that every claim religion makes is eventually disproved. You can believe in science and religion, but when science disproves a religious claim again the world's religions will likely adapt a new unexplained event that they claim is from God. The process continues like this and has been doing so for ages.

@YeahIAm Read the post again... the post really isn't related to this. I'm simply stating that every claim religion makes is...

Every claim religion (and the post is talking about Abrahamic religions) makes is eventually EXPLAINED by science. Not disproved. Just because we understand evolution better now does not mean that it proves an omnipotent being had no part in it.

Just because we have an idea of the big bang doesn't mean there isn't a God who intended that to happen.

Please separate theocracy with theism in your mind, because it's unfair to use the stupid moves of people in charge (using weather as a moral punishment) as evidence that there is no God.

@2Infinity Every claim religion (and the post is talking about Abrahamic religions) makes is eventually EXPLAINED by science...

You're right. Science never disproves any religious claim. It simply disproves the ignorant beliefs held by some of its followers.

I like to think that god DID all the things science proved. For example people 2000 years ago were told That god created animals on the 5th day. Maybe what actually happened was that that 'day' was actually 400 million years, and by 'created' he actually began the evolution process from bacteria. Win win

@I like to think that god DID all the things science proved. For example people 2000 years ago were told That god...

I disagree, but I do like the mix of science and religion. sort of like the whole macroevolution thing

I disagree, but at least you're not shutting out science for religious purposes. So many Christians deny evolution because it goes against their idea of God creating each person individually.

@YeahIAm I disagree, but at least you're not shutting out science for religious purposes. So many Christians deny evolution...

I still think that God made each individual and gave them a purpose to some degree, but I still believe in evolution to some degree, too.

Fair enough. I think as the world progresses people realize that god existing doesn't make sense but If he doesn't I just don't see what the point of life is, everything becomes so much less significant

@Fair enough. I think as the world progresses people realize that god existing doesn't make sense but If he doesn't...

The point of life is to live it. Realizing we only have a finite amount of time to be alive allows us to not waste our only known life with hopes for an infinite life in Heaven.

Even without God there are still goals to aim for: success, wealth, love, and happiness.

@YeahIAm The point of life is to live it. Realizing we only have a finite amount of time to be alive allows us to not waste...

I would just hate to be in a world where science has proven that we are born, spend a tiny amount of time striving for ultimately meaningless things, then just disappear from the face of existence while 99.5 percent of us did absolutely nothing worth shit the entire time, and then the cycle starts foe someone else. Its very depressing

@I would just hate to be in a world where science has proven that we are born, spend a tiny amount of time striving...

Kind of. Don't get me wrong, I wish there was a God too. But wishful thinking doesn't create one by any means.

@YeahIAm Kind of. Don't get me wrong, I wish there was a God too. But wishful thinking doesn't create one by any means.

I thought wishful thinking was one of the main processess in a religion containing almost 3 billion people. I think that believing in it is just as powerful for yourself as If it actually existed
says Anonymous

@I thought wishful thinking was one of the main processess in a religion containing almost 3 billion people. I think...

You're right, wishful thinking is one of the main reasons that religions have so many followers. But being a wishful thinker by no means makes you a better person or makes you more powerful. People have morals without God, they just don't know it because they think they are moral because of God.

@YeahIAm You're right, wishful thinking is one of the main reasons that religions have so many followers. But being a...

I know they absolutely don't make you better or more powerful. What I tend to see about religion is that it doesn't make people better morally but it does increase the amount of people who act morally, good people will always act good religious or not but there are many not so good people that act good because of their religion wether because of fear for a diety or belief that they'll be rewarded. The desire to act good wanes when it comes to people who believe that wether they are saintly or blatantly immoral makes no difference, and that there is no universal justice.

@I know they absolutely don't make you better or more powerful. What I tend to see about religion is that it doesn't...

True, that's actually well said. The other negative of atheism is that less people would be willing to die so if more Americans were atheists there would be less people in the army.

That being said, I still don't think we should sugarcoat life.

I do not believe that we will ever fully understand the universe and how it was created.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Disagree +18Reply
@Frank_n_Furter There's no reason why that's not possible.

Most of what we know is theorized, we can never be 100% positive. And what if we die out before we could prove and rationalize the ENTIRE UNIVERSE

Ethans avatar Ethan Disagree 0Reply
@Ethan Most of what we know is theorized, we can never be 100% positive. And what if we die out before we could prove and...

Most of what we currently know being theory doesn't mean we will never know. And if we die out before we do that, then obviously we would never do that.

@Frank_n_Furter Most of what we currently know being theory doesn't mean we will never know. And if we die out before we do that...

Well you said "there's no reason why that's not possible" and what I said is fair reason actually. But how will we ever SEE an atom, or prove the big bang happened, if we weren't there? What if all the evidence points to something, but it is in fact not true?

Ethans avatar Ethan Disagree 0Reply
@Ethan Well you said "there's no reason why that's not possible" and what I said is fair reason actually. But how will we...

How should I know how people could see an atom or prove the big bang happened in the future? I'm just saying it's not impossible and there's no reason why it would be- technology advances at an incredibly fast rate. And no, what we know now being theory (which doesn't mean not proven, germs are a theory, we can see them. Scientific theory is above scientific law)is not fair reasoning to say we won't know in the future. That operates on the logic that everything we know now is all we will ever know and knowledge doesn't advance.

@Frank_n_Furter How should I know how people could see an atom or prove the big bang happened in the future? I'm just saying it's...

I'm not dismissing ALL theories, and i'm not saying I don't agree with science. It just irks me how you say it's possible to know EVERYTHING about the universe. We won't.

Ethans avatar Ethan Disagree 0Reply
@Ethan I'm not dismissing ALL theories, and i'm not saying I don't agree with science. It just irks me how you say it's...

Not likely, but it's not impossible, it really irks me that you think it is, so let's agree to disagree?

Science disproves absolutely nothing in religion. The point of believing is in God is believing that he created all things and, believing that, created science itself. The Bible is not black and white, and for all we know, God could've created evolution. Religion does not disprove science and science does not disprove religion.

@Fanatic Science disproves absolutely nothing in religion. The point of believing is in God is believing that he created all...

The post never said science disproved religion, just religious claims. Like you said, for all we know God could have created evolution. The post doesn't say science disproves religion or that they can't coexist, it disproves religious claims like the earth being 6,000 years old. Everyone is acting like the post says science disproves God.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

This loaded language is too much, I think. And is science not explaining the unexplainable too? Many scientific ideas have been disproven. Logic isn't always the best approach.

On another topic which is not covered by the post, does it really matter if there's a god or gods or not?

@Wunderscore This loaded language is too much, I think. And is science not explaining the unexplainable too? Many scientific...

If science can explain it, it isn't unexplainable.
"What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn't prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary." -Stephen Hawking
Now with that in mind, which is more likely? The magical explanation without factual or reasonable support, or the scientific explanation backed by evidence and the brightest minds in the world? Or neither. Maybe we're not even close to knowing the true answers to the universe. Then we simply don't know. No explanation is better than a bad explanation.

What's sad is that people continue to believe these "insane rationalizations" even after they have been disproved by science, logic, and simple common sense. Just the mere thought of some "all-powerful being" sitting up in the sky creating everything and making everything happen makes me laugh. I mean really THINK about it; how does that make any sense at all? Some people just need an enormous reality check.

I wish to love this post by a thousand.

@1910205

Exactly. I have almost no problem with this post and atheism in general. My one problem is when they act like they're above all believers (I also hate when it happens vice versa). Nobody is completely sure. Everything is based on beliefs. So chill.

swimlaxs avatar swimlax Disagree +1Reply
@1910205

Saying atheists need faith to say there is no god is like saying you need faith to say there are no unicorns. We know that god and unicorns are products of human imagination so we don't need faith to disbelieve it. Theists have the same belief. You believe that all other gods are products of imagination but yours. Its interesting that the existence of man precedes the belief in gods. Hinduism is older than the belief in the Judaic god. And there's many similarities between the two. Also, civilizations all over the world have there own concept of god without interacting with each other. Further proof that we invented gods to explain things we never understood previously. So no we don't need faith to not believe in god.

@1910377

I never said that. God may exist. Its impossible to prove otherwise. I said we know the concept of gods are man made. Just like the concept of mermaids and unicorns are manmade. So while we can't prove or disprove the existence of any of these creatures, logic tells us that there existence is unlikely. So I was refuting your claim that it takes faith to be an atheist. It takes no faith at all.
I hope that doesn't come off as condescending or offensive. That's just the best way I could explain what I meant. Sorry if it does.
just one more thing to think off, my favorite atheist quote: when you understand why you reject all other gods but yours, you'll understand why I reject yours.

@1910480

PLEASE explain to me how you know there are no unicorns.

@1910205

The post doesn't say God doesn't exist because science. It says science has disproved religious claims: for example, the earth being 6,000 years old. NOT that science disproves religion.

@1910205

Atheism is based on reason and everything we know about the universe. Faith plays no part. Are you familiar with Pastafarianism? It's a religion that centers around the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The point of this religion is to show that religion is a ridiculous concept, and I think Pastafarians do a damn good job of proving that point. You can't disprove the Flying Spaghetti Monster; you aren't positive that he isn't the supreme deity of the universe. That puts Pastafarianism on equal ground with Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and every other religion we've come up with. There is absolutely zero evidence indicating that any religion is more accurate than the next, and that includes Pastafarianism. There are mountains of evidence and logic that say religion is a farce. There is no evidence or logic saying that any religion is true. Therefore, being religious is entirely based on faith and disbelieving religion is based on everything else. I'm going to find a book that I have; it's called The Quotable Atheist. It's filled with nuggets of wisdom that would be very applicable here.

@AtheisticMystic Atheism is based on reason and everything we know about the universe. Faith plays no part. Are you familiar with...

I don't know if you've heard the story of the day God kept the sun from setting, but it's one of my favorites. It talks of a day when God preventing the sun for setting so that the soldiers fighting for his cause would not have to retreat until the next day. To me, the best part about this is that the time in which this story was written coincides perfectly with ancient civilizations' texts, from all over the world, depicting 1) a time when the day was very, very long, perhaps twice as long as normal, and 2) a day in which the sun never rose, as they were expecting it too.

That's not what I solely base my belief upon, but it's always one of the bigger ones that I enjoy mainly because it's proof that the bible is not the only text that proves the existence of a deity.

@WoIverine I don't know if you've heard the story of the day God kept the sun from setting, but it's one of my favorites. It...

The corroborating texts (only one of which I found via google) prove that there was an abnormally long day. That's not proof that God made it happen to help Joshua. Besides, if God is indeed allowed to interfere with human affairs in ways such as that, it's pretty selfish of him to do so only when it benefits him. Why didn't God come down here and deploy some sort of inclimate weather (lightning, tornadoes, whatever) to help out the 7,000,000 Jews that died with strong faith in Him? Why not lend a hand to good people of the world? God also dropped stones on Joshua's enemies and killed a lot of them. I'm sure that would have been much appreciated by His chosen people, Joshua's descendants, anytime throughout history when they were being persecuted and slaughtered.

@AtheisticMystic The corroborating texts (only one of which I found via google) prove that there was an abnormally long day. That's...

"We can, perhaps, conceive of a world in which God corrected the results of this abuse of free will by His creatures at every moment: so that a wooden beam became soft as grass when it was used as a weapon, and the air refused to obey me if I attempted to set up in it sound-waves that carry lies or insults. But such a world would be one in which wrong actions were impossible, and in which, therefore, freedom of will would be void; nay, if the principle were carried out to its logical conclusion, evil thoughts would be impossible, for the cerebral matter which we use in thinking would refuse its task when we attempted to frame them."- C.S. Lewis

I'm sure it's not exactly the answer you were looking for, but it covered the subject pretty well.

@WoIverine "We can, perhaps, conceive of a world in which God corrected the results of this abuse of free will by His...

If it was okay to interfere to help Joshua 2,000 years ago, why is it not okay to help anyone now? What makes now any different from then? God used to venture down here and perform miracles for all to see at a moment's notice. Why did he stop that once we became able to record and prove these events?

@AtheisticMystic If it was okay to interfere to help Joshua 2,000 years ago, why is it not okay to help anyone now? What makes now...

He came down to teach his disciples, and entrusted them with carrying out his word. He told them to go forth and spread his word, why would he be down here when his followers are the one he's decided to spread the word?

I'll be honest with you, I was atheist for a good long while, and I believed the exact same way you did. I questioned if God loved me so much, why would he not care that I don't believe in him, and wondered why he stopped performing miracles over a thousand years ago, and I still even wonder most of that stuff today, along with thousands of other questions.

I don't have all the answers, or even most, but what I do know is that from my personal experience, the feeling of relief that washed over me from the very moment I began to believe again, was enough to make me happy, and it's been a couple years, and that happiness has yet to subside. There are countless people who could tell you have had similar experiences, and it's the sole reason they're at where they are today.

As the comment below says, basing your theory off of what? How much scientific proof does evolution have? And the big bang, something exploding from nothing sounds just as ridiculous to me as my

@WoIverine belief may sound to you.

I don't know how to universe was created, nor do I need to. I'm not offering answers, I'm just rejecting your answers.
What you've said is that religion doesn't make sense but you believe it anyway because it makes you happy. That's great for you, but it doesn't give religion any more credibility.

@AtheisticMystic I don't know how to universe was created, nor do I need to. I'm not offering answers, I'm just rejecting your...

Being isolated only to me, maybe not, but how about the hundreds of millions globally who could tell you the same thing. Does that not raise questions? Or would you just put it off as mass hysteria?

@WoIverine Being isolated only to me, maybe not, but how about the hundreds of millions globally who could tell you the same...

I don't exactly put it off as mass hysteria, but close. People from any religious group could tell me that, and they do. That's no more convincing than the millions of people that claim to become possessed by evil spirits or the devil.

@WoIverine Alright, well what can you say about the resurrection? Do you think it ever happened?

I do not. People can't come back to life in that fashion; it just isn't biologically possible.

@AtheisticMystic I do not. People can't come back to life in that fashion; it just isn't biologically possible.

What about the thousands of accounts by people who watched him die, and them saw him in the flesh, scars and all, in the weeks that passed? And the empty tomb? I'm not being condescending, I seriously want to know what you think.

@WoIverine What about the thousands of accounts by people who watched him die, and them saw him in the flesh, scars and all...

Again, that isn't anything that someone of another faith couldn't tell me. People from every religious group claim to experience such things; they can't all be right.

@AtheisticMystic Again, that isn't anything that someone of another faith couldn't tell me. People from every religious group claim...

There isn't another religion with so much proof as to an actual resurrection as Christianity. The fact that there are written accounts of actual people who saw him after the death, and the fact the the body was never found is enough to trump over any claim that someone of another religion might have.

@WoIverine There isn't another religion with so much proof as to an actual resurrection as Christianity. The fact that there...

Do you know how many people will swear to you today that they've seen Elvis Presley since his passing? A disturbing number.

@AtheisticMystic Do you know how many people will swear to you today that they've seen Elvis Presley since his passing? A disturbing...

You could go to the grave of Elvis Presley, dig it up, and have proof that Elvis died and is, in fact, still dead. If you were to go and look for the body of Jesus, good luck, you'll never find it. All that was left in his place were his neatly folded burial rags.

@WoIverine You could go to the grave of Elvis Presley, dig it up, and have proof that Elvis died and is, in fact, still dead...

The reason we can't find the body of Jesus is that bodies don't last for 2,000 years.
There are also people that swear to seeing UFOs, the Loch Ness monster, bigfoot, etc.

@AtheisticMystic The reason we can't find the body of Jesus is that bodies don't last for 2,000 years. There are also people that...

They couldn't find it 2,000 years ago either, otherwise they would have just put it on display and shut the whole resurrection down right there. And you can't really compare this and that in the first place, as the crucifixion took place in front of very credible witnesses. With the same people even seeing Jesus after he rose.

@WoIverine They couldn't find it 2,000 years ago either, otherwise they would have just put it on display and shut the whole...

I don't trust the written and re-written words of people from 2,000 years ago. They saw what they wanted to see and found what they wanted to find (nothing).

@AtheisticMystic I don't trust the written and re-written words of people from 2,000 years ago. They saw what they wanted to see and...

Well it's not like they wanted to find nothing, it just happened to be what was there. And I guess it's more of whether or not you trust them, like you said, and that's not something you can debate. I actually liked this, it was fun.

It saddens me that you are absolutely blind to the fact that atheism is ENTIRELY based on faith. No one hates atheists because they're atheists, it's because there's a stigma around atheists that they are stubborn assholes who have FAITH that their belief system is undoubtably superior with no real evidence to support why they would be more right... Just like all religions... But they still pretend they are deserving of a higher status quo. Atheism is no different than religion, it's just a disease of the mind that's infected you into it's methods and brainwashed you into false self confidence in your beliefs. 3.3 billion people on earth think there is a wizard in the metaphorical sky who watches over us and helps us in seen and unseen ways. 172 million (about 1 19th of the Catholics world wide) believe once upon a time there was nothing, and then it exploded for some reason and then we showed up in a manner that really boils down 'A series of random plausable coincidences for some reason' and yet you still cling to miles of unearned arrogance because 'a desperate burning desire to feel both superior and rebelliously unique minded' might as well be the atheist motto.

@It saddens me that you are absolutely blind to the fact that atheism is ENTIRELY based on faith. No one hates...

Atheism isn't a belief system, it's rejection of a belief system. An atheist doesn't necessarily believe in the big bang or evolution; atheism (as much as I hate to use that term, as if it's a religion) doesn't offer answers or reasons. Science does that. It just so happens that most atheists prefer the scientific method to guess and don't check.

@1910376

That may be, but all that means is that we aren't intelligent enough to figure it out. That doesn't give religious explanations any more credibility.

We might not ever know the full truth, but I believe someday, some sentient being out there in the infinite number of universes throughout an infinite span of time will have enough truth that religion is just not viable anymore.

@anonon We might not ever know the full truth, but I believe someday, some sentient being out there in the infinite number...

Religion isn't viable now. Its followers just choose to ignore that. As I said above, it all comes down to faith. And if there is nothing backing up your beliefs except faith, then your beliefs are not viable.

@AtheisticMystic Religion isn't viable now. Its followers just choose to ignore that. As I said above, it all comes down to faith...

Religion is definitely viable. Just look at how many people are religious and how long people have been religious. It's nonsensical, I know, but it's definitely popular enough to survive for pretty much since the day civilization began.

@anonon Religion is definitely viable. Just look at how many people are religious and how long people have been religious...

You're right, I may have used viable incorrectly. What I mean is that religion isn't an acceptable answer for those questions like "how did the universe begin" or "why are we here?" The people that are trying to figure out the answers to these questions don't consider religion a serious possibility.

Umm yeah. Evolution is not "Factual." It's a theory. It will always be just a theory because there are hundreds of holes where it falls through and can't be explained. One thing, for example are fossils. If Evolution were true, we should find literally millions of fossils that show how one kind of life slowly and gradually changed to another kind of life.What we really find are gaps that sharpen up the boundaries between kinds There are gaps between each of the major kinds of plants and animals. Before you go around stating something is factual, check the actual facts.

@AtheisticMystic http://www.notjustatheory.com/ Saved myself a lot of typing.

To further add to this I'd also like to explain that not everything forms into a fossil. Fossils are fomed very rarely when sediment covers the decomposing organism, hardens into rock, and minerals seep into the organic material. These conditions happen so rarely that gaps are left.

That still holds true
Nothing happens without the will of God

Tsunami happened because of the high stress

both the stress and tsunami happened because of God

In short,
both the cause and effect occurred because of God

fuzalas avatar fuzala Disagree -6Reply
@1907168

I'm not sure exactly how tsunamis work so please correct me if I'm wrong

when there are land deformations
it can cause stress on the land
pressure builds
which leads to quakes
which can then lead to tsunamis

fuzalas avatar fuzala Disagree +4Reply