-19

Because Church and State are seperate, gay marriage should be controlled by the church. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being gay, but marriage started off as a religious sacrament, thus, it should be up to the church to choose, amirite?

Sonofarifles avatar
0 15
The voters have decided that Sonofarifle is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Marriage is a legal contract. You can have a religious ceremony or not, it doesn't change the legality of the marriage and while church's should be able to choose whether or not they will preform a same sex marriage ceremony they should not have anything to do with making laws concerning marriage.

@SpearmintMilk Marriage is a legal contract. You can have a religious ceremony or not, it doesn't change the legality of the...

Exactly, if gays want to get married, go to a state where it's legal, but churches shouldn't have to recognize gay marriage if it's against their beliefs.

Sonofarifles avatar Sonofarifle Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Sonofarifle Exactly, if gays want to get married, go to a state where it's legal, but churches shouldn't have to recognize gay...

No one is trying to force a church to recognize gay marriage. Heck, there's still churches that don't recognize interracial marriages and no one seems to care.

Also, marriage started off as a legal contract to form bonds between two families.

@pikabeau No one is trying to force a church to recognize gay marriage. Heck, there's still churches that don't recognize...

"Gay marriage does nothing to harm society so it should be completely legal when performed by a judge, however, churches shouldn't have to recognize or perform it if it is against their religion"

I think this is worded better

Sonofarifles avatar Sonofarifle Yeah You Are +3Reply
@WashedUp So I guess the legal bonds were way before religion started? I doubt that

Conflicts between families, the desire for more property/land and many other things lead to the need of a legal contract between families. A father would give his daughter to a man to marry in exchange for material things, thus forming a bond between the two families. Though such marriages were seen as to be sanctioned by a god, they were not marriages founded in religion.

@pikabeau Conflicts between families, the desire for more property/land and many other things lead to the need of a legal...

I see where you're coming from however, you can not say that this is how marriage started throughout the whole world. This is how it started in one region but not in all. For instance that of native Americans or Africans.

WashedUps avatar WashedUp Yeah You Are -1Reply

This is wrong on so many levels. For starters, Christians aren't the only religious people that marry.

@YeahIAm So church refers to...?

I see what you mean, but I was referring to any religious organization that can marry a couple.

Sonofarifles avatar Sonofarifle Yeah You Are -2Reply