+12

It's contradictory when a person who denies the existence of God and doesn't believe in Christ still swears by God and Christ, amirite?

Pulchers avatar Religion
0 9
The voters have decided that Pulcher is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Nowadays, using expressions such as "oh my god" is used as an expression to indicate surprise. Alot of people use it regardless of their religion.

@de_licious Nowadays, using expressions such as "oh my god" is used as an expression to indicate surprise. Alot of people use...

Which is why I didn't mention that specific expression. I meant phrases like "for God's/ Christ's sake", exclaiming "Jesus Christ!" whenever something surprising happens and so on.

Pulchers avatar Pulcher Yeah You Are -2Reply

Those are expressions. They're not using them because they believe in Jesus or God or whatever.

@YeahIAm Those are expressions. They're not using them because they believe in Jesus or God or whatever.

They're not only expressions you can say when earlier you had denied the existence of God and Christ, cause then you'd be contradicting yourself, which is my point.
You don't go around saying that Santa is real when you believe he's not, do you?
Those expressions may be meaningless to you, but to a lot of others, they're not "just expressions"

Pulchers avatar Pulcher Yeah You Are 0Reply
@YeahIAm Well, anyone who doesn't believe in God is just using them as expressions.

To them it's such an empty expression, but since it's really not so, then they're contradicting themselves in crying out for Christ when they don't believe in him (I'll keep repeating that until you let me know that you finally understood my point).

And also, you haven't answered my question.

@Pulcher To them it's such an empty expression, but since it's really not so, then they're contradicting themselves in...

It doesn't matter what it originally was. To atheists, those are expressions. They aren't admitting they believe in God or contradicting themselves in any way.

And no, I don't... But if there was a common phrase like "Santa Claus!" then I'd probably use it despite not believing in Santa.

@YeahIAm It doesn't matter what it originally was. To atheists, those are expressions. They aren't admitting they believe in...

I do realize that they are and that they're not admitting faith, but calling unto a God you don't believe in sounds contradicting to me, regardless of what that atheist believes - or more accurately, doesn't believe.

Then I probably shouldn't tire myself, you're a hard-head who wants the last word in arguments, and since resolving to a point is not your goal, then excuse me, I have better things to waste my time on.

Yeah but I'm guessing that these expressions were first used by christians and overtime the sayings lost the actual meaning of referance to God. Because of frequent use, many non-christians adopted the sayings as well.