-5

Why do vegetarians not eat meat, but they eat plants? Are they suggesting that the life of animals are more important then the lives of other organisms? Who are they to choose whose lives are more important? To be honest, non-vegetarians are more fair to all organisms by not selecting which get the right of life over the others. amirite?

DandyLions avatar
2 14
The voters have decided that DandyLion is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Well, I can see where they're coming from. I think we can all agree, even vegetarians who had meat at any point, that meat is delicious. However, with the brutal way we (we being American Corporations) treat the animals before violently slaughtering them, as well as imagining it was once a cute animal, that is where vegetarians obtain their opinion. As well, plants show no emotion, and we sense no feelings, therefore their life isn't valued as much. In the end, it's all about the fact that animals show feeling and emotion, whereas plants are just there, surrounded by tens, possibly hundreds, of their own kind, not moving, breathing (as we think of breathing), thinking, or even feeling, giving it no significance.

@Lazynez Well, I can see where they're coming from. I think we can all agree, even vegetarians who had meat at any point...

They do "breath" in a way, but I see were you're coming from. I've always thought that what if they can feel pain, but we wouldn't know, because they can't move r make noise or show any sign that they just felt pain. But, I guess scientists would be able to find nerves in plants by dissecting them. But, also they might feel pain differently then us somehow that we can't detect..... Also, they are alive even if they don't seem as important compared to us. Every life is important.

yeah, I'm kinda just bouncing ideas around.

As for the cruel way of treating the animals I didn't even consider for some reason, but I know many vegetarians who don't eat meat, just because they are animals, and for that reason alone.

DandyLions avatar DandyLion Yeah You Are 0Reply
@DandyLion They do "breath" in a way, but I see were you're coming from. I've always thought that what if they can feel pain...

Some people just don't like the idea of eating animals. I don't get it, since a lot of animals eat other animals (I guess since we're higher up. I'll stand by "We didn't climb to the top of the food chain to become vegetarians.") My Health teacher is a vegetarian, but he used to love eating McDonald's burgers, but when he saw what happened to the animals, he stopped eating meat.
And, yes, plants are living. It is a weird concept to think they could feel pain and such ("weird" as in unusual to our belief, not "weird" as in an implausible idea), and it would be hard to prove that they can not feel pain in any way. Every life is, indeed, important. I can see plant life being more important in the aspect that without some edible plants, we would have no oxygen. We could at least live without meat (although it would be unhealthy).
And people who won't eat meat just because it's from an animal baffle me. They should watch how that animal would get meat in the wild. Not all animals are herbivores. Then again, we primarily eat cow and chicken, which tend to be herbivore.

Lions don't eat plants. un smilie

This is not talking about people who are vegetarians for health reasons and stuff..

Do you eat people?
No? Then you ARE selecting who has the right to life and who doesn't. I assume you would also have a problem eating cats or dogs, as well as endangered species.

@ForeverMarauder Then let's say instead that I'm referring to ~human~ non-vegetarians.

..I don't understand what your trying to say.

The point is, is that we are selecting who has the right to live or not, and why can we do that, and what gives that organism that right?

DandyLions avatar DandyLion Yeah You Are +1Reply
@DandyLion I don't understand what your trying to say. The point is, is that we are selecting who has the right to live or...

What I'm trying to say is that (human) non-vegetarians are still selecting who has the right to live and who doesn't; they just draw a totally arbitrary line (i.e. I don't eat dogs because they're cute) whereas the line vegetarians draw is at least rational (i.e. I don't eat anything with a brain).
The point is everyone draws the line somewhere. I don't know any non-vegetarian who's willing to eat every animal.

@DandyLion Yes,and the point is were should we draw this line

Your post said "non-vegetarians are more fair to all organisms by not selecting which get the right of life over the others." I just explained why that statement is incorrect. That is all.

@ForeverMarauder Your post said "non-vegetarians are more fair to all organisms by not selecting which get the right of life over...

yeah, I kinda bull shitted that last line, because for it to be a correct post it has to have a statement that people could agree with... My bad