+200

It's not easy, explaining vegetarianism to starving African children, amirite?

HakCynics avatar
2 26
The voters have decided that HakCynic is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I have to imagine it would be a lot harder to explain that we're using the overwhelming majority of crops grown in the country to feed livestock. Factory farming is the biggest waste of food in the world. The amount of crops necessary to produce a single eight ounce steak could feed about forty-five people.
World hunger could be eradicated if factory farming were to end. By consuming meat, you're funding the primary reason that those African children are starving.

@ForeverMarauder I have to imagine it would be a lot harder to explain that we're using the overwhelming majority of crops grown in...

You my friend, are why people hate vegetarians, you strengthen the stereotype that vegetarians think their diet makes them superior in every physical and mental way, and no one likes your kind of pretentious arrogance. If you reply I'll take it as denial and laugh at my victory

@You my friend, are why people hate vegetarians, you strengthen the stereotype that vegetarians think their diet...

In addition to the previous response to your defensiveness by anonymous, it was really the OP of this post who started it.

I was responding to the OP, who, by the way, is the one to bring up vegetarianism in the first place. He was clearly misinformed, so I corrected him. If you're bothered by those who present opposing viewpoints to yours and engage in debates, I'm not entirely sure why you're on this website.

...Why would you be trying to explain vegetarianism to starving kids in Africa? Just curious.

You down-voted my comment because it proved you totally wrong...?

Imagine trying to explain dieting, eating disorders and obesity to them...

"So, erm, while you're starving here with no access to food, there are millions of people who are either gorging themselves or avoiding food as much as possible."

Yet the language barrier is not going to make explaining this difficult?

@Zeenada Yet the language barrier is not going to make explaining this difficult?

OP could be from France and speaking of the French speaking countries.

Emperorerrors avatar Emperorerror Yeah You Are 0Reply

I think it'd be much easier to explain vegetarianism than to explain something like competitive eating, to be honest.

The comma, it burns!

Emperorerrors avatar Emperorerror Yeah You Are +4Reply

Short version: what you say is just theoretical. There might be enough food to feed the world, but the food would never get to the hungry mouths.

HakCynics avatar HakCynic Yeah You Are +3Reply
@HakCynic Short version: what you say is just theoretical. There might be enough food to feed the world, but the food would...

It's not a -theory- that the factory farming industry wastes huge amounts of food. And the very fact that vegetarians abstain from funding the industry that wastes such ridiculous amounts of food proves the point of your post wrong.

@ForeverMarauder It's not a -theory- that the factory farming industry wastes huge amounts of food. And the very fact that...

I disagree...

Let us say a starving african youth is eating a steak. A vegetarian walks up and starts explaining why the kid should not continue eating the steak. The kid is not going to drop the steak and say he would rather starve than eat it... he more than likely would consider the vegetarian crazy for denying any type of food.

And, I do agree with HakCynic about the food not going to the starving, because it wouldn't. Just like the dinners my parents told me to finish because of the 'starving children in africa'. It wouldn't matter if I threw it away or ate it, because no african would get it anyway.

So, there is no way to say that food wouldn't end up rotting on a grocery store shelf if it didn't go to factory farms. There is no way consuming meat is the PRIMARY reason people in africa are starving.

Juless avatar Jules Yeah You Are +12Reply
@Jules I disagree... Let us say a starving african youth is eating a steak. A vegetarian walks up and starts explaining...

What asshole is going to explain to a starving person why they shouldn't eat something?
The OP's point, I assume, is that vegetarians are so damn picky about what they eat while there are kids starving in other countries. My argument is that vegetarians are picky because they refuse to support and industry that wastes large amounts of food. If anyone, vegetarians are the ones who have world hunger in mind.
If I came across a starving child eating a steak, I'd think that was swell. However, the resources used to create that steak could feed many more people, and I'd be more content to see a village of well-fed individuals rather than one person.
I realize that the resources used in meat production would not necessarily end up on the plates of starving people. I am arguing against the premise of the post, that vegetarians are just picky twats more concerned with animals than with humans.

@1704228

I'm a vegetarian for many reasons, ONE of which is that factory farming wastes food. Anyone who's done research on the topic knows that there are many, many reasons to become a vegetarian. And even if world hunger were not one of my reasons, by abstaining from eating meat, I'm still refusing to support an industry that wastes large amounts of food.
And I don't actually understand how your statement has anything to do with the argument.

@ForeverMarauder I'm a vegetarian for many reasons, ONE of which is that factory farming wastes food. Anyone who's done research on...

You are claiming people become vegetarian because of world hunger, and because they don't want to support the factory farming industry. I am pointing out most vegetarians don't say that as a reason they became vegetarian. It might be why you are, but you are the first person I have heard say this.

Most vegetarians I have encountered or heard of use a reasoning that has to do with the treatment, breeding, living conditions, of animals that are to be eaten; being more humane, 'healthier', helping the environment, etc.

I was interested to hear your argument, since I wasn't aware of it, but to claim "vegetarians are picky because they refuse to support... (etc)" "vegetarians are the ones with world hunger in mind" "vegetarians abstain from funding the industry"---you are saying ALL vegetarians have these ideals, and that isn't the case. You already have a good standpoint, you don't need to claim every vegetarian is doing it for that reason, see? If you read my replies again, you'll see I have been only pointing out your generalization of all vegetarians sharing this particular opinion, when that isn't the case.

Juless avatar Jules Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Jules You are claiming people become vegetarian because of world hunger, and because they don't want to support the...

I said "-If anyone-, vegetarians are the ones with world hunger in mind." By 'if anyone' I meant to imply that a vegetarian isn't -necessarily- concerned with the fact that factory farming wastes food. My point was that whether intentional or not, they are the ones who refrain from funding the industry. I definitely didn't mean to say that all vegetarians are specifically concerned about that, and I'm sorry if I worded myself incorrectly. Some people go vegetarian simply for personal health reasons and have no moral stance on animal rights, environmental protection, etc. etc.

Although it's a good sentiment, if money weren't wasted on meat, it would likely be wasted elsewhere. I understand that it has the potential to help, but so do a number of other things. Also, it's not hard to explain because of the vegetarian's motives, but because it's embarrassing that we have the choice when they don't. Try telling a starving kid that you are helping him by eating your apple instead of a steak

People always do.

HakCynics avatar HakCynic Yeah You Are 0Reply

Why do the children have to be African?
There are starving white children y'know.

No, I was too lazy to explain why you are wrong. Laziness is wrong too, but wth eh.

HakCynics avatar HakCynic Yeah You Are -4Reply
@HakCynic No, I was too lazy to explain why you are wrong. Laziness is wrong too, but wth eh.

That's because there's no justifiable reason that I'm wrong. I'll assume I'm right until proven otherwise.

@ForeverMarauder That's because there's no justifiable reason that I'm wrong. I'll assume I'm right until proven otherwise.

And clearly he really doesn't care enough about you thinking you're right to explain to you why he believes otherwise. So to say that there's no justifiable reason for you being wrong just because he doesn't feel like putting the effort in to reply is ridiculous.

Anonymous