+267

Death: the ultimate "I told you so" moment for either believers or atheists, amirite?

_z0inks_s avatar Religion
7 21
The voters have decided that _z0inks_ is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

And it's a big "OOOOhhh" for agnostics.

@sighcantthinkofaname And it's a big "OOOOhhh" for agnostics.

Agnostics would go to hell because they didn't fully believe in God.

@Agnostics would go to hell because they didn't fully believe in God.

I think some religious sects say that some agnostic like children or babies automatically go to heaven.

"To each his own". Personally, I think that means that you don't have to believe in God, you just have to be a good person to go to Heaven. But I'm not religious so I'm really not an authority on the subject.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are -1Reply

False dichotomy.

By "believers" I assume you mean Christians? They could BOTH be wrong you know.

@By "believers" I assume you mean Christians? They could BOTH be wrong you know.

The three major world religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism)believe in Heaven for the most part, and almost every religion believes in some kind of afterlife that can be interpreted as "Heaven".

@Freddy_Krueger The three major world religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism)believe in Heaven for the most part, and almost...

I understand, but that's not really relevant to my comment. Prominent =/= true. There's still the possibility they could all be wrong, or only partially correct, (heaven, no hell etc.) Everybody could be full of shit and due to our limited capacity of human intellect and comprehension the outcome could blindside us all.

@1639153

But not all religions are the same. My point still stands. Also, you don't need religion to believe in a form of afterlife and it isn't always "heaven." Myself for example.

@I understand, but that's not really relevant to my comment. Prominent =/= true. There's still the possibility they...

My point was that "believer" could just mean anyone believing in an afterlife, whether or not it is "Heaven" (not sure why I even said that before), and whether or not you consider it a religion (although personally, I think any belief in something like that can be called a religion, even if it doesn't fit into a group such as Christianity or Islam).

Unfortunately if an atheist, like myself, is right they never get to say "I told you so."

Tim5os avatar Tim5o Yeah You Are 0Reply

If a "believer" is wrong, that's the end. If an atheist is wrong, they get to exist somewhere forever instead of just losing all self awareness. Atheists can't lose.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are -2Reply
@1638080

If believers are wrong then their self awareness disappears forever. They can loose. I was in no way saying that atheists are right, just that they still sort of win either way. And who says you'd go to hell for not believing in God? The Bible says "To each his own", so as long as an atheist is a good person, they could still go to Heaven. However, this is only my opinion and I have no problem if you disagree.

@boxtop Wait...if the atheist is wrong, they go to hell for eternity. Atheists can't lose?

My point was that an atheist, and this is very opinionated, may prefer to got to hell than to just be gone. You could argue that pain and suffering forever would be worse, but like I said, it's just an opinion.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Freddy_Krueger It more than makes sense if you actually read it.

Really? Because that means that you find it harder to be believe in something you can't prove than face Hell for an eternity. That seems pretty nonsensical to me.