LeviHooks avatar
65 119

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning. " - CS Lewis

Sure life has a meaning! There are clues hidden in nature.
The most number of spheres that can be in simultaneous contact? 3! A B C
The number of suns in our solar system? 1! A
The number of proteinogenic amino acids that are encoded by the standard genetic code? 20! A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T
The first number with more than one digit that can be written from base 2 to base 19 using only the digits 0 to 9? 19! A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +24Reply

But by you getting the "chance to create your own personal meaning of your own individual life" isn't that already giving life a point? hmm smilie

This is the kind of post that sounds great until you think for 2 seconds. No objective meaning means a pointless existence. Even if you create your own meaning, you're just fooling yourself into thinking you've found meaning. If life is meaningless, then everything we do is meaningless. It makes no difference whether I kill a baby or eat a tomato. They are both morally equivalent actions. In a billion years, the universe will have reached full entropy anyways, so everything will have dissolved into a cold homogeneous mix of particles.

@pantherfanatic This is the kind of post that sounds great until you think for 2 seconds. No objective meaning means a pointless...

Life is pointless, it doesn't matter whether you kill a baby or eat a tomato, just the morals of society and instincts have fooled you other wise, think about it, could you kill someone? Sure, nothing is stopping you but laws created by other humans, the only thing holding you back are these things created by other humans to regulate society so that we can work together towards a common goal which we all seem to have agreed is the progression of humanity as a species, at least, that's what it seems like we chose as our common goal looking back in history.

yesnomaybes avatar yesnomaybe Yeah You Are +4Reply

Well, a cosmic meaninglessness does not stop societies from creating moral codes based on what they find to be most beneficial to the happiness and survival of the community. Cosmic meaninglessness does not let you off the hook of the morality defined by society.

And if we are deceiving ourselves with meaning even though there is none, whatchya gonna do about it? If that's the truth, the truth hurts, so may as well take the silver lining of making meaning for yourself

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are +2Reply

7/10 Interesting stuff bro, could use some funnyness, tho.

Note: All my ratings will be in bold because it looks official and stuff.

@AppAwesome 7/10 Interesting stuff bro, could use some funnyness, tho. Note: All my ratings will be in bold because it...

I will never understand why people get so pissed off at AppAwesome over the ratings.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +15Reply

Because they're absolutely pointless.

Reviews are posted for movies and books so consumers can decide whether or not they should see/read the product. We've already read the post, and it's therefore useless in that aspect.

Furthermore, there's already a set system for expressing agreement or disagreement with the post. If someone wants to view how others perceive the post, they can view the post score and/or the number of favorites. No one gives a fuck what AppAwesome thinks.

YeahIAm, if AppAwesome wasn't just taking you for a ride his comments would still be perfectly fine because he's giving his opinion on the post and telling us how he feels about it.
Do I care or find his 'reviews' constructive most of the time? Not really, but the site is based completely on what he does. You just don't like him d smilie.

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +9Reply

Also, the point of POTD is to bring in users, since the POTD is the first thing they see. If they see something terrible there, they won't like it, most likely. That's why I give ratings. To say what I think of it.

AppAwesome, if I block you, you'll be unable to send me messages but I'll still be able to see your comments in anonymous form.

Anyway, I've already had a POTD: http://amirite.net/725692 . Just please don't rate it.

I have an idea. Ignore the ratings. Could be easier said than done...

Furthermore, we also already have a set system for expressing agreement or disagreement with the comments
If you wish to show your approval, disagreement, or love for a comment simply proceed the the end of said comment. There you will find, located in the bottom right hand corner, three buttons. An up arrow, a down arrow, and a heart. Choose one as your heart so desires, and go on merrily with the rest of your day :)

I think they don't know about the Block feature amirite? has. Probably because he secretly wants to know what I rate his future POTD. IF HE GETS ONE.

You need to shut the fuck up.

Note: I use bold letters to portray opinions held by the majority of the amirite community.

I wouldn't say life doesn't have a point. I'd rather say everyone has their own goals they want to accomplish.

But yes, I agree with the general premise of the post~

BurnyBurns avatar BurnyBurn Yeah You Are +11Reply

If the internet was a person, it would be an obnoxious hypocrite.

boxtops avatar boxtop No Way +11Reply

Wow I would have no motivation.
The purpose to my life is to serve God. And I'll be happy with whatever his will is.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way +9Reply
@Pug Wow I would have no motivation. The purpose to my life is to serve God. And I'll be happy with whatever his will is.

Didn't read all of those comments, but I did read the first few and some in between.

Let's be a little reflective.
Atheists, if a christian came up to you and tried to force their beliefs down your throat, you'd be pretty annoyed, right? And you'd have every right to be.
So how come it's suddenly perfectly all right for you to completely bash their beliefs? Aren't you also shoving your atheistic beliefs down their throats? Because obviously you know everything, right?
You're being very childish and immature and you clearly have some serious growing up to do.
I don't know why you feel this sort of self-entitlement simply because you're atheist.
You also fail to realize that atheists have one extremely vital trait in common with their religious brethren: both of you believe in something that cannot be proven by fact. Neither of you will know anything until death.

Maybe you guys should stop being such close-minded cockmonglers. I hope you realize that close-mindedness is exactly what's wrong with this world.

Basically, I'm trying to say that you're cancer.

The way I see it: if all life is meaningless, then Pug's allusion of meaning by serving God is just as valid as any allusion of meaning that YeahIAm comes up with. Whatever works for the individual, let them run with it.

If there IS objective meaning, though...well...that's just a scary thought since we all see the world so differently that a large majority would be screwed over as failures

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are +12Reply

While you serve God, I'll go try to become successful and achieve happiness.

We'll see who's better off.

@YeahIAm While you serve God, I'll go try to become successful and achieve happiness. We'll see who's better off.

That was both rude and ignorant. If there is no God and therefore no objective purpose, then neither of you will be better off. You will both die, and cease to exist. However, if Pug is right, and God exists, then he will be better off for obvious reasons.

@pantherfanatic That was both rude and ignorant. If there is no God and therefore no objective purpose, then neither of you will be...

Ah, so you're one of those people that fear the unknown and waste your life devoting yourself to that fear?

There doesn't need to be predefined objective purpose to have someone be better off. Who's better off, you or Bill Gates?

@YeahIAm Ah, so you're one of those people that fear the unknown and waste your life devoting yourself to that fear? There...

Who said anything about the unknown? I know exactly who I'm serving.

Of course he's better off right now. But if there's no God, then what will that mean for him in 100 years? Nothing.

Unless Pug is worshiping the wrong God and that God takes offence and throws him into ever-lasting Hellfire.

Okay, I know this happened a while ago and I didn't read the all the comments, but if Pug wants to serve God, how can you imply that she can't/won't achieve success and happiness while doing it, YeahIAm? That can be a legitimate purpose to one's life, imo.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way +8Reply

AcciseJ, your comment was wonderful. Amirite is a great community.The only time I am ashamed of it is when this sort of intolerance and bashing goes on. I barely talk religion on here, but I've been trying to put your comment into words for a long time. Kudos. Both sides of the ongoing religious debate should stop with the rudeness and/or close-mindedness, not just the Christians because, objectively, I'd say atheists are more commonly the culprits on this site.

Spareseconds, I usually see your comments as civil, so I wouldn't lump you in with the bashers. Not all athiests and Christians here are a part of the "cancer."

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way +5Reply

Thank you :) I don't really like arguing on here because it normally doesn't lead anywhere, but I'm very intolerant towards intolerance ;P

And I'd have to agree, spareseconds, my comment doesn't apply to you at all. Your comments, just like Pug's and BonslyGuy's, are very respectful and open :)

Just clarifying things up here, Pug, I don't know what religion you do or don't believe in but over here in Catholic land we believe that God offers salvation and his love to everyone. It isn't contingent on you acceptance of Him or not.

Where does this full knowledge of His existence come from?

If he exposed Himself, we would still have free will. The only time we wouldn't is if he forced us to be robots. I don't see why a compassionate God would play games when eternal fate is on the line.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +4Reply

I don't want to be cancer, so I want to be clear I'm not bashing anyone.

If Christianity is true, then God only saves those who believe in him. I don't think He'll save an atheist, no matter how kind they were. Then, how can someone try to convince me God loves me, because if I choose to lead a life on logic rather than blind faith, I'll be sent to burn in flames for eternity? Is that the kind of God that's somehow "loving"? He loves everyone, but if I am a nonbeliever, I'll be sent to perish with Satan forever. Especially if I'm OK with what He considers sin, like homosexuality, premarital sex, etc.

Just be blunt about it: God, should He exist, is quite cruel. I don't want to be told I'm "loved" if He'll give me the same fate as Hitler purely because I have no reason to view religion as real. That's not my kind of love.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +2Reply

You are right I can't believe I'm an atheist ugh f that I wish I had cancer instead like really

"tolerance" gets thrown around a lot. Just to clarify: you can tolerate something and still view it as 100% incorrect. If we all saw things the same way, we wouldn't have to tolerate them but would simply agree with each other. Therefore tolerance is an admission that you view your own ideas as correct and someone else's as mistaken, but simply making that admission in a respectful "agree to disagree" way.

"Exclusive" beliefs are thus no more intolerant than "inclusive" beliefs. We all make exclusive claims to truth but can choose to do so respectfully or not. Consider: if you call someone intolerant because they has an exclusive faith (for example, Christians who believe that the only road to salvation is through Jesus) , aren't you being equally exclusive in your beliefs by saying that inclusive beliefs are the only acceptable ones?

The key is to form beliefs based on our best reasons available to us, but understand and respect that others will disagree. Someone is only "intolerant" if they fail to respect others' views in their disagreement

Well... anon that's not really the point I'm trying to make.

Intolerant, close-minded cuntmuffins, religious or atheist = cancer

@ spareseconds
i don't feel like you're bashing anyone, i enjoy hearing your point of view.
that is actually something i struggled with myself. after my dad died i could not understand why God would ever let such a thing happen, i still don't. but after that (as corny as this sounds) i grew very close to God. he was, and still is, my best friend. he has healed me mentally and physically. last year i broke my back. at first i could not walk, so i prayed. the next day i was going up the stairs. idk, it's something you can't pass on with words.. but God is love. he is the definition of love. i would never want to serve a God who was not loving.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way 0Reply

Wouldn't he want us to be saved than be happy for a small moment on earth? If God is so all-powerful he'd have the power to do better convincing, like maybe send another prophet, or mass miracles. I can't possibly trust that there's a supreme, all powerful being when all I have to look at are some mortals reading out of a book. Either way, I can't picture someone who loves their children to send them to hell for any reason at all. I chose this for myself because I have every reason in the world to support my decision. No sane God would blame me for that.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are 0Reply

heaven is not for people who are "good enough". no one is good enough... i deserve hell. the only reason i'm going to heaven is because of faith. John 3:16 "everyone who believes shall not perish but have everlasting life". our deeds don't save us, faith does. however, with faith comes a brand new attitude. you WANT to serve God, not because you have to.. but because if you have true faith you end up loving God.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way 0Reply

I know that. But anaverageBoss said people only go to hell if they're given completely knowledge and still deny it. The problem is no one is given that knowledge.

Wow I don't even remember this :p
But I was just recently water baptized and I'm the happiest I've ever been..
And at Joe - everyone is a failure. I'm probably one of the worst. But God is still happy with me, and I find a lot of hope and happiness in that.
Also I'm on mobile, so I'm sorry for poor communication.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -1Reply

but what you're saying is that God is not letting you have faith? .. thats what faith is. If God exposed himself to the world, everyone would believe. He wants us to believe by our own free will.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -1Reply

At first i had many doubts.. it's not normal if you don't have them. but after i truly accepted Christ, i received the holy spirit. after that it's almost impossible to doubt.. he lives in you.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -1Reply

I find Pug annoying, but I respect her. It's a little sad that people are so butthurt by what she says. Just accept that she is going to rot in the ground with the rest of us and move on. Let her pretend if she wants.

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are -1Reply

I know that God exists because of medical/scientific facts mentioned in the Quran that are impossible to be know for a man in the 7th century...

If your entire life is based off of something whose existence you have no evidence for, what happens if you're wrong?

@If your entire life is based off of something whose existence you have no evidence for, what happens if you're wrong?

what do you mean by evidence? everyday living is proof of how great our God is. its not just like believing there is a santa.. you feel him. he's my best friend, and he does so much for me. and for you as well. at first sure, i had my doubts. but i fell in love with him, and i know i am not wrong that he is a living God.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way +3Reply
@Pug what do you mean by evidence? everyday living is proof of how great our God is. its not just like believing there...

I could claim that I "feel" the existence of my imaginary friend; that doesn't mean I have evidence that he's real.

@I could claim that I "feel" the existence of my imaginary friend; that doesn't mean I have evidence that he's real.

as much as i wish i could, i cannot show you how different this feeling is from anything else. i would like to think that i am wise enough to know the difference between something imaginary and something not. he is nothing like an imaginary friend. He has been a better friend than any human has been. sorry i can't have evidence for you, but i defiantly have some for myself. and i think thats how He works. until you have faith, he won't give you 'proof', and at that point you won't even need any.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way 0Reply
@Pug as much as i wish i could, i cannot show you how different this feeling is from anything else. i would like to...

Just to revisit your Santa Claus analogy: When I was a young kid, I wholeheartedly believed in Santa Claus. I didn't have any explanation, but I was sure, I was absolutely sure, that Santa Claus was real. As a first-grader, I ignored the fact that there was no logical basis whatsoever, because it was more fun to believe in magic. Obviously, a year or two passed and I found out I was wrong.
The point is that we often underestimate the power of wishful thinking. Of indoctrination. But ultimately, those beliefs that have no logical basis will crumble.

@Just to revisit your Santa Claus analogy: When I was a young kid, I wholeheartedly believed in Santa Claus. I...

but how old were you? as i said already: i am wise enough to know the difference between something false and real. you were young and had absolutely no reassurance. i have my own personal testimonies and as i've said; once you have faith He gives you 'proof'. but i don't need it.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -1Reply
@Pug but how old were you? as i said already: i am wise enough to know the difference between something false and real...

I wasn't always an atheist. Until about a year ago, I swore that I felt something to. Reality can be a difficult thing sometimes. If what you're feeling really is concrete, then what about all of the people who don't feel what you do? What about the people of different backgrounds, different religions, no religions?

@Pug ..what about them?

I'm saying that if the presence of God is actually something concrete that you can feel, why are there so many people who don't feel it, or who feel something different?

@Pug He will only give his spirit to those who have faith in him and in Jesus.

So those who are Jewish or of some other non-Christian religion, those who don't believe that Jesus is the savior, but claim (just the way you do) that they feel and experience the presence of God... are they lying? Because God hasn't given them his spirit, right?

@Pug who am i to say? all i know is what i personally know.

Either he gives his spirit to everyone of all religions, or some people are misleading themselves. If it's the latter, then there's a chance you're misleading yourself.

@Either he gives his spirit to everyone of all religions, or some people are misleading themselves. If it's the...

Its not about religion at all. i know people who follow the bible dramatically. i can say that that i see none of Gods love in them.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -3Reply
@Pug Its not about religion at all. i know people who follow the bible dramatically. i can say that that i see none of...

I'm just going off of what you just said, that God only gives his spirit to those who believe in Jesus. Would you like to qualify that statement or do you stand by it?

@I'm just going off of what you just said, that God only gives his spirit to those who believe in Jesus. Would you...

God comes in 3 parts: The father, the Son, and the Holy spirit. I don't think you can only have one of the three, or two of the three. you have to have all. they are all one.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -4Reply
@Pug God comes in 3 parts: The father, the Son, and the Holy spirit. I don't think you can only have one of the three...

So then I revert to my earlier statement: If God only gives himself to people who have all three, then some people must be misleading themselves when they say they feel God's spirit with them.

@So then I revert to my earlier statement: If God only gives himself to people who have all three, then some people...

God is with everyone at all times. whatever religion, whatever belief. i cannot say wither they feel him or not because i've only been in my own body. but his holy spirit is different that just his presence. i don't know if you are spiritual enough to even understand anything i'm trying to get across.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -1Reply
@Pug God is with everyone at all times. whatever religion, whatever belief. i cannot say wither they feel him or not...

And you are not objective enough to receive my point. What I'm getting at is that someone must be lying. Someone has to be misleading themselves. You have millions of people, each saying different things, and instead of citing evidence, they cite faith. They say "I just feel it". While that's sweet and idealistic, a great number of them must be wrong. Why can't it be you?

@And you are not objective enough to receive my point. What I'm getting at is that someone must be lying. Someone...

You don't know anything about the spiritual world for me to even get to explaining about that it's not a feeling. It is but it's not. You can think I'm lying but I know I'm not

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -3Reply
@Pug You don't know anything about the spiritual world for me to even get to explaining about that it's not a feeling...

Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, polytheists, etc. etc. etc. would all say the exact same thing. If they're deluding themselves, then chances are you are too.

@Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, polytheists, etc. etc. etc. would all say the exact same thing. If they're deluding...

I can't say, I've only experienced what I have been through. Not what they have.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way +1Reply
@Your purpose in life is to be God's bitch?

why do you think that? He serves me more then i could ever serve him. I am very selfish, but he still loves me. And i try to do my best to serve him anyway i can.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way +9Reply

My purpose in life is to serve my God. I know it's been posted by Pug before. Although I know it'll get me thumbs downs and people trying to prove me wrong, I don't care. It is called faith for a reason. :)

jraaeys avatar jraaey No Way +3Reply
@jraaey My purpose in life is to serve my God. I know it's been posted by Pug before. Although I know it'll get me thumbs...

My purpose in life is to serve my God too :) He told me to kill my daughter and I almost did, but then he was like "lol, just playing, bro! It means a lot to me that you would do though." She doesn't talk to me very much anymore.

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +3Reply

In the grand flow of time our lives are inconsequential. But we're also the 'God' of our own existence.

PopsicleSticks avatar PopsicleStick Yeah You Are +2Reply

Minecraft.

You started off saying life is completely pointless; then you said there is no benchmark to say if it is pointless or not. That means it's not always pointless and is subjective.

@1808320

And many people believe you are an idiot for that. Deal with it.

This is the same logic people use to justify their claims that Skyrim is the best game ever.

I'm glad that I started such a long and interesting discussion.
Yet it is a pity that I haven't been able to participate.
See you next time.

LeviHooks avatar LeviHook Yeah You Are 0Reply

Makes sense if your atheist

I don't think you (and many many other people) are wise. "Doubt is the origin of true wisdom". Well, I really don't see you doubting about the existence of God. And hallucination, imagination, indoctrination,... are not depending on your age and experience. You are falling in a trap, a trap of your own human wishes. That is not a good reason. That is a bas reason.

LeviHooks avatar LeviHook Yeah You Are -3Reply
@1808735

You hate someone for standing up for their beliefs against an intolerant, closed-minded, overwhelmingly vast majority? You are such a good person.

@1808735

This is an excellent post to bring up God and religious beliefs, and nothing that she said sounded self-righteous to me.

boxtops avatar boxtop No Way +2Reply
@1808735

She left a comment relating to the post. You left a comment about your hatred towards someone, yet she's annoying?

@1808735

I'm not even surprised that frogy8thefly upvoted her own comment.

jraaeys avatar jraaey No Way +1Reply
@1808735

Frog's comment doesn't make Pug any less annoying.

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are -3Reply

An imaginary friend doesn't exist too. It does, in you mind. But not for other people. It is the same with 'God'. 'God' is just a common imaginary friend...

LeviHooks avatar LeviHook Yeah You Are -7Reply
@LeviHook An imaginary friend doesn't exist too. It does, in you mind. But not for other people. It is the same with 'God'...

Millions of other people have similar delusions makes things fact?
What is this, a happy go lucky anime where-in if you believe hard enough your dreams become reality with the power of friendship?

Anyway, more seriously now, a simple way to stab your argument in the eye is to ask, why is it that some people get completely different answers from the same God?
Why is the God in one man's mind alright with gay people and the other's God is not?

Why is it that millions of people have also heard the voice of a COMPLETELY different God?

Are you going to say, "They're wrong I'm right!" Or something? What argument can you make against the claims of a Muslim hearing God when they're making the same claim as you with a different name to the God?

Lens avatar Len Yeah You Are +6Reply

@LeviHook "gives you the chance to create your own personal meaning of your own individual life. There is no benchmark that decides if a life is pointless or not"
Those are your own words, yet here you are telling her that her meaning if life is imaginary.

I think that the first idea of god came from the sun, it's visible and it provides light and heat. If you were a early human you would respect the sun.

freddos avatar freddo Yeah You Are 0Reply

an imaginary friend that has done amazing things for you and has talked to you? i don't think so. i'm not insane, and nor are millions of other people. we are wise to know the difference between what is real and not.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -1Reply

I read it in the voice of a crazy person in a straight jacket "HE TALKS TO ME! I'M NOT INSANE!"

freddos avatar freddo Yeah You Are -3Reply

The anonymous athiest sure had a lot of questions but they didn't seem to have much to say to back up their claims. It's like want answers but they never really offer much for the argument. Anonymous athiest, you were very wrong to jump down pugs throat like that. If they have chosen to follow christ and live in His image, then how is that hurting you? When we're all dead and gone and Pug has achieved salvation, you're gonna wish you had decided to live a life like theirs. You are childish, ignorant, and quite immature, and I'll pray for you. I hope someday you're heart will be opened and you will know just how much god loves you. His love is so eternal and huge that we cant even explain it well enough. We can't fathom how great his love is.
Coming from a stranger, Pug is seems like an amazing person and i wish I could express my love for god half as good as they have. The light of god shines from them and it's pretty awesome!!!!

Anonymous