+119

You can use apostrophes, commas, capitalization, and spell check, but that does not qualify you to be a grammar Nazi. No, that qualifies you to be on a high horse, talk down to everyone about grammar like it's the greatest thing ever (which it's definitely not), and be really annoying. If you can understand who you're talking to online, leave them alone. Otherwise, go ahead and knock them out. amirite?

AdonisBatheuss avatar
6 14
The voters have decided that AdonisBatheus is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Superfluous use of parentheses.

/adjusts glasses

Suzywaos avatar Suzywao Yeah You Are +7Reply
@1648383

It's common courtesy to write with a form of a language that everyone understands, It'd be like me writing in Spanish on this site out of context or spewing out private jokes that only three people understand. Yes, people do occasionally get picky, but I've never seen someone not trolling call it a lost art.

I think we'll just skip alright and go straight to aight or even further to ait perhaps ay? Then we can all be sailors! :D

Not saying I disagree, but I found it funny when learning about lnaguage when I studied Psychology. You can read something roughly similar to what we did here:
http://www.oup.com/us/companion...uage/?view=usa

Basically, it's about what something has to have to qualify as a language. Without grammar, you are technically not even using a language, since that's one of the things that separates a true "language" from "grunts that kind of have some meaning to someone". It's a long shot off of just using the wrong "your/you're" once in a while, but still... I found it a bit funny. :)

I don't mind a quick grammar correction as long as: a) you aren't just doing it sound like a smartass, as this is usually done in arguments as a placeholder for an actual point, b) it wasn't very clearly just a typo.

It´s alright to correct grammar once in a while, educate the young generation a little.

@Nacklefoodle It´s alright to correct grammar once in a while, educate the young generation a little.

Then you'd be happy to know that "alright" isn't technically a word yet. You didn't use an apostrophe for "It´s". You're missing the preposition "to".

You can't educate people when you're not even educated in the subject you're trying to educate others in. I don't want to hear it.

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are -6Reply
@YeahIAm http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/alright How the hell is "alright" not technically a word yet?

Among the professionals, it's controversial and although is accepted as a word, it is not "technically" a word for some reason. Or so one of my English teachers tells me.

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are +2Reply
@AdonisBatheus Then you'd be happy to know that "alright" isn't technically a word yet. You didn't use an apostrophe for "It´s"...

I didn´t say I´m the one to do it, I´m just saying it´s perfectly fine. I know this stupid apostrophe thing is incorrect, since it´s obviously an accent mark placed inconveniently in the place of the English keyboard´s apostrophe. I won´t switch it off for you because I see you dislike it.

And alright is a word.

And you used a preposition at the end of a sentence. That´s also "controversial" as to whether it is correct.

@Nacklefoodle I didn´t say I´m the one to do it, I´m just saying it´s perfectly fine. I know this stupid apostrophe thing is...

I don't dislike it. I don't care for it. You're just being a hypocrite so I pointed it out.

Also, the preposition wasn't supposed to be used at the end of the sentence.

"It´s alright to correct grammar once in a while, >TO< educate the young generation a little."

That's the correct format. I don't know grammar that well, and neither do you. Don't educate others in something you don't know, because that's how ignorance is spread.

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are -3Reply
@AdonisBatheus I don't dislike it. I don't care for it. You're just being a hypocrite so I pointed it out. Also, the preposition...

I was referring to "the subject you're trying to educate others in."

And I didn't mean there to be a "to" in that sentence, because I don't forget things like that. I meant it as an elaboration or explanation of what I previously stated, so it was in fact the comma that was wrong.

And lolwut smilie, not knowing all the complexities of grammar does not make me ignorant. If I know that using a semicolon; right here is wrong, I will tell them how it's meant to be used. If a person randomly Capitalises random things, I will tell them they're stupid and shouldn't do that.

Just because I don't know all does not mean I don't know anything.

How is that how ignorance is spread? Maybe you can't teach a person everything there is to know about grammar, but you can correct them when you do know, and as long as what you're saying isn't completely false, you're stopping the spread of ignorance.