-399

You should be offended when your religious friends don't try to convert you. If they don't, they're basically just saying they don't mind if you're eternally damned, amirite?

Religion
12 178
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Or they could just be respectful of the fact that you have your beliefs and they have theirs.
When religious people talk about religion and try to spread the word, atheist are like "stop shoving your religion down my throat."
But when they don't try to convert you, you're offended?
Seriously, make up your mind.

@1652325

It sucks as a joke.

@It sucks as a joke.

In what way does it suck?

Courage_Wolfs avatar Courage_Wolf Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Courage_Wolf In what way does it suck?

In the way that it's not funny.

@In the way that it's not funny.

But that's completely subjective. What qualities does this joke lack that successful jokes have? Besides humor.

Courage_Wolfs avatar Courage_Wolf Yeah You Are +4Reply
@If a joke isn't funny, it's not successful.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Now, assuming some people do think this joke is funny, what would you say to them to explain why it isn't?

Courage_Wolfs avatar Courage_Wolf Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Courage_Wolf Thanks for stating the obvious. Now, assuming some people do think this joke is funny, what would you say to them...

You asked a question, and I gave you an answer. Sorry if you thought it was obvious.
I find it offensive.

And if that answer isn't good enough: I can't explain why I do or do not think something is funny. It's like asking me to explain why my favorite is what it is. It just is.
And I just find this 'joke' unfunny.

@No.

Were you offended by this joke because you realized your religious friends don't mind if you're eternally damned?

Courage_Wolfs avatar Courage_Wolf Yeah You Are +7Reply
@No. I'm actually a religious person.

This has become shamefully irrelevant

@How is this irrevelant?

Because this thread is occupying too large a portion of the comments page without making much progress. Why is it this post, out of so many of the religious ones made, that offends you?

Courage_Wolfs avatar Courage_Wolf Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Courage_Wolf Because this thread is occupying too large a portion of the comments page without making much progress. Why is it...

A few of them offend me, but this just happens to be the one I commented on.
If you want an explanation, go back and read my original comment.

@1652348

The world may never know

@The world may never know

it takes 3,456 licks! I counted.

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +26Reply

So basically religious people are offensive no matter what they do.

@So basically religious people are offensive no matter what they do.

Haha, hey, I think a religious person wrote this, atheists are never offended when people DON'T shove religion down our throats. That's why this post has a low rating.

Tim5os avatar Tim5o No Way +7Reply

Not all religious people believe that. Most religious people pick and choose what they believe.

eldoritos avatar eldorito No Way +33Reply

Religious people = cunts. Atheists = cunts. Can't we all just get along?

@WolfeDeWary Religious people = cunts. Atheists = cunts. Can't we all just get along?

At first I thought you said "religious people = cats" and i'm like i like where he's going with this.

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +12Reply
@1652869

I prefer the term avid cat lover

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Favvkes At first I thought you said "religious people = cats" and i'm like i like where he's going...

I was going to use cats and dogs, and focus on the arguments between them. But cunt is a much better word

I believe in God, attend church etc.. but I never try to shove my beliefs down my friends throats. They know what I believe, and I'm not going to force them to believe the same things. If they have questions, I'll answer them, but it's rude to push it at them.

@makeup_nerd I believe in God, attend church etc.. but I never try to shove my beliefs down my friends throats. They know what I...

Having a discussion about your religious views in't the same as shoving your religion down some body's throat... there's actually a pretty big difference there, buddy.

@makeup_nerd I never said they were the same thing.

You didn't have to, by responding to the op (discussion) in the manner you did (shoving) it shows that you assume that they are the same thing. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

@KickAss You didn't have to, by responding to the op (discussion) in the manner you did (shoving) it shows that you assume...

Op didn't say it was just a discussion. They simply said "try to convert." When I think of someone purposely trying to convert someone, even if they have different beliefs, I feel like it's shoving. If it is a discussion where the friend is asking a question, it's simply that... a discussion. I never assumed anything. You were the one making assumptions.

@makeup_nerd Op didn't say it was just a discussion. They simply said "try to convert." When I think of someone purposely trying...

First off, I was not making "assumptions" they were implications and secondly, you can't, "try to convert" without having a civilized conversation about. Using your logic, you also made the assumption that you're going to be shoving your religion, which you don't necessarily have to.

Is this meant to be hilarious?

@Is this meant to be hilarious?

Nope. Only reason. Why its post of the day is to arise dissension.

adizzleshaws avatar adizzleshaw Yeah You Are 0Reply

I love it when POTD has a negative score

I'm a Pastafarian. http://ctrlv.in/68342

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +16Reply
@Favvkes I'm a Pastafarian. http://ctrlv.in/68342

You're going to hell you worthless scumbag. Become a Unicornian to save your soul.
http://ctrlv.in/68347

@1652419

How da fuq do I become an accordian?
http://ctrlv.in/68361

@1652518

You cow. You fucking purple cow. wary smilie

@YeahIAm You cow. You fucking purple cow.

I want to double love this comment y smilie

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +1Reply

Anthony just wants us to bicker.

My religious friends tell me that they're worried about my salvation all the time. I know they think they're being nice by doing that, but it gets on my nerves...

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau No Way +12Reply
@pikabeau My religious friends tell me that they're worried about my salvation all the time. I know they think they're being...

"I'm worried that you're going to Hell."
"I been there and yo momma says to tell you HI." OOOH BUUUURRNNNN

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +13Reply
@Favvkes "I'm worried that you're going to Hell." "I been there and yo momma says to tell you HI." OOOH BUUUURRNNNN

I can see it now:
friend runs away crying
"Oh come on! It happened last year... You should be over it by now!"

Most modern religious people don't believe a person is going to be eternally damned for believing in a slightly different dogma. Lots of religious people don't even believe in damnation at all. Besides, just because you practice the "correct" religion doesn't mean you'll get saved. Most religions require additional things like adherence to moral code, good works, faith, and spiritual enlightenment to achieve salvation.

I love it when people share their religious beliefs and ideas with me but it would be really rude for someone to make it their mission to change my personal beliefs. Being obnoxious and nagging people about their personal religous convictions hardly ever changes people's beliefs.

@1652435

That is totally the best policy. I've always respected LDS Church, not because I agree with the stuff they believe in (i actually think the book of Mormon is the silliest thing I've ever seen), but because all Mormons I've gotten to know personally have been some of the nicest most hard working and responsible people I've ever met.

I'M HINDU AND I'M PROUD YEAH
http://ctrlv.in/68325

Kashishs avatar Kashish No Way +11Reply
@Ebony_Way Be careful with that Kashish....

I know what you mean Rhea, but I shouldn't be afraid to use it.
All it means is good luck, Hitler just fucked up part of our religion by using it as his symbol. It was holy until his stupid ass came along, and it still is to me.

Kashishs avatar Kashish No Way +14Reply
@Kashish I know what you mean Rhea, but I shouldn't be afraid to use it. All it means is good luck, Hitler just fucked up...

I know right!!! I have the most beautiful diamond encrusted Swastika earrings and necklace given to me by my dead grandmother but I'm scared to wear them because I live in an area that's 65% Jewish

@Ebony_Way I know right!!! I have the most beautiful diamond encrusted Swastika earrings and necklace given to me by my dead...

Then you might not want to wear it since it's that densely populated, but really there shouldn't be a problem. I have a swastika bracelet and I wear that to school everyday, one of my good friends is Jewish and he completely understands. I don't give a shit what anyone thinks, because I know its harmless.

@Kashish Then you might not want to wear it since it's that densely populated, but really there shouldn't be a problem. I...

I wish I could, but I'd get A LOT of hate from everyone at school, and possibly even be suspended.

@Ebony_Way I wish I could, but I'd get A LOT of hate from everyone at school, and possibly even be suspended.

K if you would get suspended for that then it'd be counted as racism.

"Second in importance only to the Om, the Swastika, a symbol which look like the Nazi emblem, holds a great religious significance for the Hindus. Swastika is not a syllable or a letter, but a pictorial character in the shape of a cross with branches bent at right angles and facing in a clockwise direction. A must for all religious celebrations and festivals, Swastika symbolizes the eternal nature of the Brahman, for it points in all directions, thus representing the omnipresence of the Absolute.
The term 'Swastika' is believed to be a fusion of the two Sanskrit words 'Su' (good) and 'Asati' (to exist), which when combined means 'May Good Prevail'. Historians say Swastika could have represented a real structure and that in ancient times forts were built for defense reasons in a shape closely resembling the Swastika. For its protective power this shape began to be sanctified."

tl;dr
THAT'S SOME RELIGOUS STUFF MAN.

@Kashish K if you would get suspended for that then it'd be counted as racism. "Second in importance only to the Om, the...

It wouldn't be racism, considering it's her religion. It's just discrimination. And "the Swastika, a symbol which look like the Nazi emblem" is incorrect. The Nazi emblem WAS a Swastika, not just a symbol that looked like one.

@Dinosaurs It wouldn't be racism, considering it's her religion. It's just discrimination. And "the Swastika, a symbol which...

Well it definitely was the swastika, but it was a bit altered. The Nazi Party one was rotated about 45 degrees and had no dots in it, whereas the official Hinduism one has dots and is siting on a 180 degrees angle. But I understand what you're saying.

I'd say that if you wanted to spread religion, you should do something like Jehovah's Witnesses.
They only take a second of someone's time to open the door and if you say no, they leave.

Really, I don't understand why people are ever pissed at Jehovah's Witnesses.
What's so bad about someone trying to save you religiously in a barely annoying way?

@I'd say that if you wanted to spread religion, you should do something like Jehovah's Witnesses. They only take a...

IT'S SO ANNOYING! They come to the door and I have to put on some goddamn pants! Do you know how much I hate wearing pants? I hate it a lot! So I don't even put on pants. I go to the door in a pair of stained tighty whiteys with a popsicle in my hand. I make DIRECT eye contact while eating it and if that makes them uncomfortable, then that's fine. If they can't accept me, then I can't accept Jesus. GET OFF MY PORCH!

@Brettward95 IT'S SO ANNOYING! They come to the door and I have to put on some goddamn pants! Do you know how much I hate...

True story.
opens door
sees jehovah's witness
"well hello there, you're just in time for our weekly Satanic ritual, come inside and watch us burn the sacrifical goat!"
They looked horrified. It was great.

Whenever I answer the door and hear "Hello Madam, do you have time to learn about Jesus Christ?" I always say 'I'd love to join your church, but unfortunately they wont accept my girlfriend because she's black."

The looks on their faces are always worth having to put pants on.

Because I'm already religious and I don't try to tell them about my religion. If people wanted to be a Jehova's Witness then they would become one. I don't want to be rude and tell them to leave but they're wasting their time if they try to convince me to convert.

I could've sworn this was by Katjazz when I voted on it wary smilie

Javvies avatar Javvie Yeah You Are +10Reply

This post is pretty much right on. If you actually believe in eternal damnation (which I find a difficult thing to even reasonably believe, much less choose to believe) then you should be very active in evangelism. You would literally be saving lives if that's what you believed in and took that belief seriously. Unfortunately, many Christians, for example, pretend that this doctrine doesn't exist. If you adhere to part of a religious doctrine, you should adhere to all of it. But the "pushy" Christians shouldn't always be seen as jerks, often they are simply being the best people they can be based on a difficult belief system

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are +10Reply
@1652468

``talking bout the rain, and mulling over things, that won`t live past day, and as I dance around the truth time is not his friend this might be the only chance to tell him that you love him... so here I go again``

couldn`t agree more

thatsjustmiis avatar thatsjustmii Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Joe_Larson This post is pretty much right on. If you actually believe in eternal damnation (which I find a difficult thing to...

I don't try to convert people because I think I'd push people away from God more than bring them to him if I tried.
If you're too pushy, people get mad. You should absolutely stick up for your beliefs and try to give people a better understanding, but relentlessly trying to convert them won't give them time to think things through for themselves. They have to actually believe it because it makes sense to them. How can they try to make sense of it if you're always nagging them and give them no time to think it through?
And honestly, I don't try to straight up convert people because I don't think I have very good abilities where this is concerned. I can't explain things to people as well as others, I can't speak to people as well as others and help them understand as well as another person could. Not everyone has the same abilities, and I don't see the qualities needed to teach someone something so important in myself. I shouldn't be trying to convert someone if others would be able to do it so much more sincerely, so much better than I ever could. In fact, if I made converts, they probably wouldn't be good Christians. I dunno, maybe if I studied to be a missionary, but not now.

@fangirl12 I don't try to convert people because I think I'd push people away from God more than bring them to him if I...

no, there is someone out there that does not want to listen to an eliquent scholar.. God has commissioned all of us Christians to tell them about Him. If we don`t than their blood is on our hands. We have the antidote to the greatest pandemic this world will ever see and the outcome of this disease will always be death unless you receive the antidote, Jesus Christ. You don`t need to study to be a missionary to help save souls you just have to be willing

@thatsjustmii no, there is someone out there that does not want to listen to an eliquent scholar.. God has commissioned all of us...

Haven't you heard that the Pharisees converted lots of people and Jesus told them they were making the converts worse than they were before? If I can't do it right, I'd be hurting someone if I did it wrong.
If the opportunity comes where someone wants to ask me, fine. If someone is willing to listen, fine. If I'm defending or explaining my beliefs, fine. But I'm not going to every non-Christian I know and telling them about the Good News when I know they won't listen and that it might just make them even more reluctant to have anything to do with God.

I don't necessarily not believe in eternal damnation, but there are many parts of the Bible that I don't agree with. One of these is the belief that just because one does not believe in God, they go to Hell. I think that you go to Hell based on your character and actions; not on beliefs, sexuality, etc.

@Sergio I don't necessarily not believe in eternal damnation, but there are many parts of the Bible that I don't agree...

Well to bad ur not God. You dont get decide what is true and false in the Bible. You dont have to agree but if you disagree you're flat out wrong

thatsjustmiis avatar thatsjustmii Yeah You Are -4Reply

thatsjustmiis avatar thatsjustmii Yeah You Are -9Reply

Besides, even the Bible says everyone has different roles with their given talents. Some people are meant to be teachers, others have talents that make them good evangelists, others are priests, etc. Not everyone is suited to be a teacher.
And there are dangers in converting someone just to convert them.
Jesus told the Pharisees that they crossed the seas to convert someone and made them "twice the sons of Hell" they themselves were, making the person better off if he had never been converted by such horrible religious leaders.

I hate when people tell me that I'm going to be damned. I'm Jewish and once a women asked my mom "How do you feel that all of your kids are going to hell?".

@DandyLion I hate when people tell me that I'm going to be damned. I'm Jewish and once a women asked my mom "How do you feel...

Aren't Jewish people not going to hell though, because they still believe in the same God as Christians, but are just waiting for Jesus to return?
I'm not 100% about this, but that's what someone told me.

@Aren't Jewish people not going to hell though, because they still believe in the same God as Christians, but are...

Jews are waiting for the messiah to come, which is not Jesus. Christians believe that Jesus is the messiah and is waiting for him to come back. Also, I think if you don't commit to christ or something, then you go to hell, but I'm not sure.

@1652294

No.... You must delacre war on them.

i thought this was a pretty funny post; people shouldnt get so worked up about it. if it bothers you just leave it alone. it wouldnt be potd if it was meant to offend people.

amisprites avatar amisprite Yeah You Are +4Reply

I had a friend try doing that to me. She told one friend the devil was working through her. She actually damned me to hell. True story. It'd be better if that never happened.

TReckss avatar TRecks No Way +3Reply

I hope this doesn't start a religious debate.

@Rifka I hope this doesn't start a religious debate.

I think that you're a tad too late. Just a tad...

@YeahIAm The other 175 comments didn't count.

Everyone knows that its never really true until 176 people say it.

Am I the only one who found the sarcasm in this post?

OhSnapWords avatar OhSnapWord Yeah You Are +2Reply

I came here to laugh at the debate.
I ended actually sitting in thoughts.

MioResnovs avatar MioResnov Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1653043

Not rly.
If you're religious then forgive me for what I am going to say.
I came here as someone that didnt belive in god
I am leaving here as someone that doesnt belive in god.
But Maybe there's some kiiind of thiny there up.

Lets find out!

MioResnovs avatar MioResnov Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1653046

Are you silently speaking of me? xD

MioResnovs avatar MioResnov Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1653049

Yay. ^^
Well, havefun, Imma go leave like a non-religious man.

@1652253

Comment deleted in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Axolotls avatar Axolotl Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1652299

That would be chaotic. People would delete comments that they simply disagreed with.

@1652253

Youre cool.

Velociraptors avatar Velociraptor Yeah You Are 0Reply

I do believe in hell and heaven but I don't think that if you're the "wrong" religion, you go to hell. Or if you're the "right" religion, you go to heaven. I believe it mainly is about your actions. Like, you'd go to hell is if you've terribly sinned (murdered, raped, etc). In my religion (I'm a Shia Ismiali Muslim) it's said that, if you've done good in your life, you go to heaven. But, if you've sinned, you are either given another chance on earth, punished on earth (as in, have a unfortunate life), or go to Hell...
It'd make more sense if I could actually say it but hopefully you all get what I mean.

I really care if my friends go to Hell.
But I know that I might not be able to convert them, or worse, if I do they might be worse than they were before because I taught them to believe something when I didn't understand it enough myself. Have you ever heard the saying about the blind leading the blind?
I try to teach them, talk about it when it's appropriate, but it's not as simple as telling them about God until their ears bleed.
My friend isn't a Christian- she got Mormons at her door all the time. Know what? It didn't help. It just made my friend more pissed at people who were shoving their beliefs on her and wouldn't leave her alone. It made her resent the religion even more. It drove her further from God, it didn't bring her to him. It might not have been so bad if it were a couple people with time in between visits, or if it wasn't her own house. But they were the same people that came periodically to her door. How did that help her?
If you were always trying to convert your friends, they would be on guard all the time and even a casual mention of religion would make them irritated. Then you wouldn't be able to talk to them about religion ever.

POTD comment when it comes- to religious crap - Tl;dr.

Runys avatar Runy Yeah You Are +1Reply

Seriously? I only get mad at people when they try to force their beleifs on others. I'm an Atheist, and I think I always have been at heart. Nothing is going to change that. The thought that there's a God does nothing but make me feel worse.

Or I could be thankful he's not like most religion nuts who shove it down anyone's throat they can find expecting them to believe it.

Tim5o believes his beliefs, I have never convinced him otherwise.

I try and convert my friends all the time. The less they know about the invisible pink unicorn the more likely they will live in a world without the invisible pink unicorn. I care about them too much to let that happen.

@NerdyBlonde I try and convert my friends all the time. The less they know about the invisible pink unicorn the more likely they...

Are you from the Pink Unicornian branch you worthless fucking pig? It's an atrocity that you scumbags have the audacity to claim yourselves as Unicornians. All true Unicornians know that the Great Unicorn is fucking purple.

@YeahIAm Are you from the Pink Unicornian branch you worthless fucking pig? It's an atrocity that you scumbags have the...

Oh no, don't go there! I say we fight a long crusade over this at our sacred place, the Rainbow of Unicornians! Us invisible pink unicornians will obviously win considering there is only ONE of you worthless purple unicornian.

@NerdyBlonde Oh no, don't go there! I say we fight a long crusade over this at our sacred place, the Rainbow of Unicornians! Us...

Challenge accepted. But know this: while our numbers may be small, the Great Unicorn and his purple exterior guide us through everlasting wisdom and power.

What the fuck? This gets POTD, the day it's posted, yet most of us have posts that were posted a long time ago that are POTD worthy.... Posts man.

@OFWGKTA What the fuck? This gets POTD, the day it's posted, yet most of us have posts that were posted a long time ago that...

It's POTD because Anthony sleeps with the OP. I thunknthat much is quite obvious. Unfortunately it's his website so we have no right to complain.

@It's POTD because Anthony sleeps with the OP. I thunknthat much is quite obvious. Unfortunately it's his website so...

Yeah, that's pretty obvious, bro. He travels the world molesting the users of his website; the POTD is only the mark that you've been chosen for molestation. From his picks, it's clear he is both bisexual and a child molester.

I like it when POTD comments are witty and entertaining to read, pointless religious internet debates are pointless.

We know that eternal damnation is just a myth, though, so it doesn't really matter. The fact that you could think someone is going to be tortured forever at all is kind of ridiculous.

Tim5os avatar Tim5o No Way -5Reply
@Tim5o We know that eternal damnation is just a myth, though, so it doesn't really matter. The fact that you could think...

I like how you are thumb downed. I beleive eternal Damnation is just a threat,and I'm pretty religious

@Ethan I like how you are thumb downed. I beleive eternal Damnation is just a threat,and I'm pretty religious

Haters gonna hate. I guarantee everyone who down-thumbed me is religious.

Tim5os avatar Tim5o No Way +8Reply
@Tim5o Haters gonna hate. I guarantee everyone who down-thumbed me is religious.

I'm not religious and I gave it a thumbs down. I hate people who state opinion as fact. Don't be ignorant.

@Tape I'm not religious and I gave it a thumbs down. I hate people who state opinion as fact. Don't be ignorant.

And this is a point I often make, these are not opinions, but beliefs, beliefs should be treated as fact because I believe them to be fact. Even if I am wrong, which I may be, they're my beliefs.

Tim5os avatar Tim5o No Way -2Reply
@Tape If this is a point you use in arguments, I'm assuming you lose a lot.

Why would I even bother arguing if I only say probably or in my opinion? I know I can be wrong, I am completely aware of this.

Tim5os avatar Tim5o No Way 0Reply

Or it's people that think you're a dumbass for shooting down religions.

@Or it's people that think you're a dumbass for shooting down religions.

I'm just stating what I believe, don't get so butt-hurt. Seriously, I'm not trying to insult people, I was just making a point, it really wasn't even directed at religious people.

Tim5os avatar Tim5o No Way -6Reply
@Tim5o I'm just stating what I believe, don't get so butt-hurt. Seriously, I'm not trying to insult people, I was just...

Did you just say that because you believe something, they are therefore facts?
Da fuck?

@runnerdude Did you just say that because you believe something, they are therefore facts? Da fuck?

No, no, you're misquoting me, I am saying that in a sentence I should treat them as fact because I believe they are fact, even if I am wrong. I know I could be wrong, but I don't believe I am.

Tim5os avatar Tim5o No Way +3Reply

I never understood that idea of heaven and hell. You go to hell if you don't believe in and worship God. People can't choose to believe in God though so God must have made people who he knew wouldn't believe in him and therefore have to spend eternity in hell - hardly fair. So God is evil or doesn't exist or heaven and hell don't exist...? hmm smilie

@HastyCroissant I never understood that idea of heaven and hell. You go to hell if you don't believe in and worship God. People...

Of course people can choose...since belief is a leap of faith anyways. Everyone who believes in a certain religion is climbing onto a bit of a limb. Some just find it easier to believe what they cannot see than others

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Joe_Larson Of course people can choose...since belief is a leap of faith anyways. Everyone who believes in a certain religion...

I don't think you can. For example, however unlikely it might be it is possible that Santa Claus exists. I can want him to exist as much as I want and I can try as hard as I can to believe in him but I can't because logically it doesn't make sense to me for him to exist. I mean, I want God to exist because that would give more meaning to life but I can't because logically it doesn't make sense to me.

@HastyCroissant I don't think you can. For example, however unlikely it might be it is possible that Santa Claus exists. I can want...

fair enough...but I don't think belief in God can be compared to belief in Santa. For people like you (or me) who find irrational things difficult to believe, there are rational arguments for God out there (apologetics). Some of them are quite good. If religions had no possibility of being true and were proven false beyond a doubt, then they would not still exist.

PS The most fascinating thing about the God question is that there are so many arguments to be made for each side but not a shred of conclusive proof for either. It's the world's greatest kept mystery. No wonder there are so many smart people on each side of the debate

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Joe_Larson fair enough...but I don't think belief in God can be compared to belief in Santa. For people like you (or me) who...

Sure, it isn't a perfect example but there's nothing which can be compared to God. My point remains the same. I totally agree, I'm an agnostic, I have no idea. The concept of heaven and hell just doesn't work for me though. In most ideas of it one of the factors is how well you've led your life and how good a person you've been. The problem there is that there are only two options. Mass murderers get the same punishment as someone who once stole a stick of gum and didn't repent for that. Also, people who are close the boundary either way could live almost identical lives but one of them once killed an ant and the other didn't and one goes to heaven and the other hell. It just seems all a bit unfair to me.

@HastyCroissant Sure, it isn't a perfect example but there's nothing which can be compared to God. My point remains the same. I...

Not a compeltely Biblical version of Hell (Christians believe that those with faith and true repentance will be saved, regardless of past sins) but I am still with you. Good people who feel unsure about God/Jesus will be eternally damned, at least if you read the bible honestly

Joe_Larsons avatar Joe_Larson Yeah You Are 0Reply

I really hate it when people compare believing in God to believing in Santa Claus. We all know and have confirmed that Santa Claus isn't real, and so no one except for little kids believe in him because that's what their parents told them. God and religion have not been proven to be false.
Oh, and as you say about mass murderers getting the same punishment as people that steal gum. I believe that even if you don't believe in a certain God or you believe in a different religion, but you're a good person, then you will get to go to Heaven. God forgives.

@Brettward95 Well from what I understand, God doesn't fuck with free will.

No, we can still have free will and not have a choice about believing in God. You can still choose whether to eat a carrot or a cake or to play football instead of watching TV. Some things you can't make a decision about though. You can't choose to be the most talented artist just by wishing and you can't choose to not love someone anymore even if you don't want to and you can't choose to believe in God. There's a clear difference.

@HastyCroissant No, we can still have free will and not have a choice about believing in God. You can still choose whether to eat a...

I agree, you can't choose to believe in God. You do have the choice to read the Bible though if you want to believe in God but you find it difficult. Then if you still don't believe, you could pray about it. But I guess that's kind of paradoxical because if you didn't believe in Him then how would you pray to Him...

@1652383

No, we can still have free will. You can still choose whether to eat a carrot or a cake or to play football instead of watching TV. Some things you can't make a decision about though. You can't choose to be the most talented person just by wishing and you can't choose to not love someone anymore even if you don't want to and you can't choose to believe in God. There's a clear difference.