-11

It's dumb how Americans have to tip waiters a certain % of the bill. It's not like it takes any more work to carry a $3 drink to the table than a free cup of water, or more energy to carry a plate of lobster than a burger, amirite?

0 7
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Tipping is an optional thing only the kind do to show their appreciation. Notice I said optional.

@Chewbanshee Tipping is an optional thing only the kind do to show their appreciation. Notice I said optional.

Yes, both of you are right that it's not a legal requirement to tip the waiter. But it is a custom that is firmly ingrained in American culture, and notably absent from most other countries. If you go to a restaurant in America and fail to leave a tip, you might be tabbed and have your food spit in the next time you go there.

Let's just say that tipping is a de facto requirement in America and leave it at that.

@1656426

No it doesn't...water is offered for free at just about every restaurant.

Besides, I think you missed the point. When you leave a tip, the waiter takes all of it. Therefore, the tip is a reward for the work they've done. So it shouldn't matter how much the water costs, it matters how much work it takes to bring the water to the table. Instead, we tip them some arbitrary percentage of the bill which doesn't necessarily reflect how much work they've done.

I'm actually arguing that sometimes the waiter gets under-tipped for the work they do. I think we should pay them based on the service they give us rather than how much money the items on the menu cost.

@No it doesn't...water is offered for free at just about every restaurant. Besides, I think you missed the point...

Most places the tip gets split between everybody working then. Unless the waiter is a douche and keeps it all like they're not supposed to do.

@1656480

Lol I've never seen a restaurant charge money for water, unless it's bottled water or something.