-82

You shouldn't say you support the death penalty unless you'd be willing to carry out the executions, amirite?

Cpt_McMuffins avatar
1 27
The voters have decided that Cpt_McMuffin is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm against the Death Penalty but this is dumb.

@Astronaut_Will I'm against the Death Penalty but this is dumb.

I respect your opinion, and I don't have a problem if you disagree, but would you mind explaining why you think my post is dumb?

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Cpt_McMuffin I respect your opinion, and I don't have a problem if you disagree, but would you mind explaining why you think my...

Because I'm pro choice but would never make a woman have an abortion. I don't see why someone for the death penalty should need to be able to pull the lever themselves.

@Astronaut_Will Because I'm pro choice but would never make a woman have an abortion. I don't see why someone for the death penalty...

I think you missed the point of being pro choice. It doesn't necessarily mean you even support abortion, but you believe people should have a right to choose what to do.

It's not really that they should be able to, it's that they should be willing to go through the same mental pain that they are putting executioners through by supporting the death penalty. And for the pro-choice comparison, it would be more like being the doctor carrying out the abortion than making a woman go through with it (I myself am pro-choice and would rather not start an argument about that though).

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are +1Reply

That's like saying just because you want to eat meat, you have to kill it yourself

@saxybandgeek That's like saying just because you want to eat meat, you have to kill it yourself

If we ate human beings, then I could understand that. But what someone goes through killing a cow so someone else can eat a hamburger is nothing compared to what executioners go through. Say what you want, it doesn't matter to me. I stated my opinion and don't care about the post's score or anyone's comments.

I would never join the police force, but that doesn't mean I don't support people who did wrong getting arrested.

Tapes avatar Tape No Way +3Reply
@1659037

What I meant is that executioners are exposed to heavy mental/emotional stress in knowing that they're killing people. By supporting the death penalty, people are putting them through great pain and it is my belief that anyone who wouldn't want to go through that themselves but is willing to make other people is being hypocritical. It's the same as saying that you shouldn't support wars unless you'd be willing to fight in them yourself.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are -4Reply
@1659056

Yes, but sort of as a service. Just like people volunteer to join the military (I don't mean to keep referencing war, it's just the best comparison I can think of). It's a bad job that no one really wants, but someone has to take it.

@1659066

You still have a choice of going into the military or not, but people still do (and die because of it), and everyone feels sorry for them. But, you're right I suppose. It's just my personal opinion about the death penalty.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Cpt_McMuffin You still have a choice of going into the military or not, but people still do (and die because of it), and...

Many people go into the military because of the benefits they receive for it, like having their education paid for.

@Cpt_McMuffin What I meant is that executioners are exposed to heavy mental/emotional stress in knowing that they're killing...

When people get put to death from injection, they're injected with three different things by three different people. The three people don't know what they have so they never truly know if they were the one who killed the person or not. That way they wouldn't feel guilty because they didn't for sure kill a person. And besides, I don't think many people would feel guilty about killing a person who killed and tortured other people.

Meagans avatar Meagan No Way +1Reply
@Meagan When people get put to death from injection, they're injected with three different things by three different...

They usually do something similar with most forms of execution to try and lessen the guilt factor. However, it is still present. I think that regardless of what the person being executed did, the thought that you are doing something permanent to another human being is enough.

I'm pro choice, but I would never get an abortion myself.

@ginnypotter93 I'm pro choice, but I would never get an abortion myself.

It would be more like being the doctor carrying out the abortion than the woman getting it.

@Cpt_McMuffin It would be more like being the doctor carrying out the abortion than the woman getting it.

Then shouldn't your post say not to become an executioner if you're not willing to execute people yourself?

@ginnypotter93 Then shouldn't your post say not to become an executioner if you're not willing to execute people yourself?

I'm not sure you completely understand. By supporting the death penalty, you would be putting executioners through mental pain that comes from, for lack of a better way to say it, killing people. My post is sort of saying that if you support the death penalty but wouldn't want to go through that same pain, you're being hypocritical. I am against the death penalty for multiple reasons other than just this one though.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are -2Reply
@Cpt_McMuffin I'm not sure you completely understand. By supporting the death penalty, you would be putting executioners through...

Nobody can force somebody to be an executioner if they don't want to be. And that's like saying it's hypocritical to support medical care if you're too squeamish to be a doctor yourself.

Have you been talking to Ned Stark lately?

@Cpt_McMuffin Never heard of him.

Hmm...
He's a character in A Game of Thrones, and he has a quote that is pretty much the same as this.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."

@MartellusBoss Hmm... He's a character in A Game of Thrones, and he has a quote that is pretty much the same as this. "The man who...

Interesting. My post is inspired by something I heard my sister say while writing an essay on what it means to be hypocritical.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are -1Reply

Just wondering, do you personally know an executioner?

Oh, so, if I eat meat I should be willing to kill it myself? What a sophism.

@Oh, so, if I eat meat I should be willing to kill it myself? What a sophism.

Either you need to read the post again, or explain hat you just said. And I don't see how this is anything like a sophism.....