+106

You're fine with transsexuals, but you wish there was a definite way to realize if someone is a transsexual so you don't accidentally date them without knowing they were previously a man/woman, amirite?

YeahIAms avatar Relationships
1 22
The voters have decided that YeahIAm is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

If you were fine with transsexuals, surely you wouldn't care if they were one AND you wouldn't be 'accidentally' dating them because you wouldn't care what genitals they were born with. Way to hypocrite, hypocrite.

dzmaxs avatar dzmax No Way +10Reply
@YeahIAm No, not at all. I'm fine with gays, but that doesn't make me a homosexual myself.

How is that in any way comparable? You say you're fine with transsexuals, but you wouldn't want to "accidentally" date one just because they're transsexuals, even though you presumably like them if you're considering dating them. Clearly, being transsexual is a deal-breaker for you, so you must have an issue with it. Why else would it matter so much that it'd be the sole reason you'd never consider dating them? It's your choice who you date, of course, but the choices you make DO reflect your thoughts. If you really liked someone, why should it matter?

@How is that in any way comparable? You say you're fine with transsexuals, but you wouldn't want to "accidentally"...

By saying I have no problems with transsexuals, I mean I find transsexualism morally acceptable and would be fine being friends with one. However, I would never want to have a sexual relationship with someone who was originally a man.

@YeahIAm By saying I have no problems with transsexuals, I mean I find transsexualism morally acceptable and would be fine...

Well I'm sure that all transsexuals would be very happy if I extended their gratitude and thankfulness to you. I'm sure they're all so very reassured now that you've publicly announced your moral acceptance of them.

Now, back to the real world. If you were fine with a transsexual person, then you would surely be fine with dating them if they were the of the sex and gender you found yourself sexually and/or romantically attracted to. You can have gay transsexuals too, you know, so your no homo argument doesn't really have any substance. You're just a bit of a jerk, it would seem, if this is anything to go by.

dzmaxs avatar dzmax No Way -7Reply
@1667670

I think having no preference is being pansexual.

The OP said they were fine with transsexuals, meaning they aren't prejudiced against them or think that there is something morally wrong with being transsexual. Just because that person wouldn't want to date one doesn't mean they're a hypocrite.

...get to know them?

@YeahIAm People can lie.

well then the problem isn't with their transsexuality, but the fact that they lied about it. You can't tell if people have STDs, either, but you've got to trust they'll tell you if they do.

You are a hypocrite, actually. You're fine with transsexuals; you just want to make their lives even more difficult by ensuring that they will always be identified by their former genders rather than that which they really feel they are.

@YeahIAm http://amirite.net/706669/1668093

Yes, but then you're not REALLY fine with them. When you want to make sure you can pick one out of the crowd so you don't accidentally sleep with her, you're asking that a person sacrifice true identity and carry around a warning label.

@ForeverMarauder Yes, but then you're not REALLY fine with them. When you want to make sure you can pick one out of the crowd so you...

Well, I don't believe changing your outside appearance actually changes your gender. So perhaps I'm simply not convinced it would actually be a "she," and not being a homosexual, I don't want to be intimate with "her."

If viewing a transsexual man as entirely a woman is a requirement for the acceptance of transsexuals, then no, I'm not really fine with them.

@YeahIAm Well, I don't believe changing your outside appearance actually changes your gender. So perhaps I'm simply not...

Well to me accepting transsexuals means accepting what they seem to unanimously insist as true; that they are truly the gender they claim to be and that it is hell being trapped in the wrong body.

@1668826

Of course the post is totally hypothetical, I just think it's worth mentioning how hard it must be to be transgender and constantly worry that everyone sees you as being the gender you don't believe you truly are.