-66

In a perfect world there would be no Atheist, Christians, Hindus, or any other category for beliefs amirite?

Sex_With_A_Snails avatar
2 76
The voters have decided that Sex_With_A_Snail is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

No. I a perfect world you could believe what you wish, but get along with others, and not be judged, or discriminated against for such.

@Mcflydougie No. I a perfect world you could believe what you wish, but get along with others, and not be judged, or...

yeah, this is the "ideal behavior" you're supposed to have around religious people right? be open-minded and whatever to all sorts of people? But what if...what they say is just sheer ignorance. Do we just then accept their argument while fully aware of how irrational it is? you might say "ooh who are you to say what's right and what's wrong?" but "what you believe in".... that is really ambiguous and can be used to justify irrational claims.

I've been watching a lot of Ricard Dawkins (an athiest) and his debates. this woman kept repeating "it's what I believe, it's what I believe, I believe that..."

and then that totally justifies her bullshit argument. Only in religion.

That's like seeing "I interpret the world through the lens of the bible while you interpret the world through the lens of evolution" no, that doesn't make sense. Evolution has evidence, no matter how repeated this claim is, it's true.

I feel like religion is now....becoming a burden crippling the desire for knowledge...the universe doesn't owe you "hope" so why cling on the illusion of an afterlife.

@TalkingRice yeah, this is the "ideal behavior" you're supposed to have around religious people right? be open-minded and...

How can you claim that science is more rational than religion? Science today is claimed to be based on logic and reasoning, yet so was science 2000 years ago, and look what we think of that today.

"The more carefully they [scientific historians] study, say, Aristotelian dynamics, phlogistic chemistry, or caloric thermodynamics, the more certain they feel that those once current views of nature were, as a whole, neither less scientific nor more the product of human idiosyncrasy than those current today."

Kuhn, Thomas S. (2010). The Structure of Scientific Revolutions (p. 2). University of Chicago Press - A. Kindle Edition.

(This argument against the rationality of science isn't necessarily my opinion, mainly because I don't believe myself to be informed enough on the subject to form one, but it is one that has a legitimate basis and should be brought up in a conversation like this)

@MartellusBoss How can you claim that science is more rational than religion? Science today is claimed to be based on logic and...

Science changes dramatically over time. We find new evidence to change our perception of the Universe. Religion changes to fit the lifestyle of the the people who follow it.

@Sex_With_A_Snail Science changes dramatically over time. We find new evidence to change our perception of the Universe. Religion...

Thomas Kuhn argues that during scientific revolutions, the ideas that win out are the ones with the loudest supporters. How does that make it any better than religion?

@MartellusBoss Thomas Kuhn argues that during scientific revolutions, the ideas that win out are the ones with the loudest...

The loudest supporters usually have more evidence to support their claims, that's why they win out. Religion has no evidence to prove it besides a book written two thousand years ago.

@Sex_With_A_Snail The loudest supporters usually have more evidence to support their claims, that's why they win out. Religion has no...

Unfortunately, I haven't read Kuhn's book so I don't know how he backed up that claim. Also, while Christian faith is based rather heavily on the Bible, there are many philosophical arguments for the existence of God. Again, I do not know what these arguments are.

@MartellusBoss Unfortunately, I haven't read Kuhn's book so I don't know how he backed up that claim. Also, while Christian faith...

The thing about philosophy is that it can change from person to person. Science only changes when new evidence is discovered.

No, what I meant with science being "right" is that it has the evidence to back it up while religion revolves mostly around "I believe..."
that's what I meant or else where would be the boundary be between right or wrong?

@TalkingRice No, what I meant with science being "right" is that it has the evidence to back it up while religion revolves...

here's the thing though. philisophical arguments for god have quite a bit of merit to me. where did this universe come from? how did the big bang theory happen? there are a lot of questions like that that are pretty hard to answer

@here's the thing though. philisophical arguments for god have quite a bit of merit to me. where did this universe...

You're right they are very difficult to answer. But like I keep saying, instead of attributing these things to "god" why not continue researching and studying these ideas so one day we will know.

I find it ironic that this post is a belief.

Or humans at all.

Truuninjas avatar Truuninja Yeah You Are +11Reply

That would never happen. Everyone's going to believe in something and there will always be people that disagree

@That's why he said "In a perfect world".

But that means that nobody would have opinions. That doesn't sound like a perfect world at all

I can't get over that you mentioned Hinduism... that's usually the forgotten religion when people go on religious rants...

@I can't get over that you mentioned Hinduism... that's usually the forgotten religion when people go on religious...

I am Hindu and generally we are very peaceful and tolerate of other religions. I don't get why people would ever pick on it OR Buddhism for that matter

@mchalla3 I am Hindu and generally we are very peaceful and tolerate of other religions. I don't get why people would ever...

Because Hindus and Buddhist still belief in some magical property so I have no respect for them either. I don't care how peaceful they are.

@hahaimright A lot of Buddhists are atheists. And you don't have any respect for all religious people?

I don't respect people who ignore logic and fill the blanks in with magic.

@Sex_With_A_Snail I don't respect people who ignore logic and fill the blanks in with magic.

The fact is that you can't disprove that god exists either. Neither can religious people prove that there is a god.

@hahaimright The fact is that you can't disprove that god exists either. Neither can religious people prove that there is a god.

You're right I can't disprove a deity. But I can prove science with evidence. That is the line between logical thinking and cults.

@Sex_With_A_Snail You're right I can't disprove a deity. But I can prove science with evidence. That is the line between logical...

I don't know shit about the Abrahamic Faiths, but I know for a goddamn FACT that Hinduism and Buddhism and Sikhism and that general ballpark is not a cult.

It is your kind of thinking that has caused generations of wars over religion. "I don't respect you because you don't have the same belief as me." Is what you are saying. All you are doing is having people think "wow what a dick."

@Sex_With_A_Snail I'd rather be a dick than a religious zealot.

I am not asking you to be religious. I am saying to respect others beliefs. I am kinda religious, but I know that there are athiests and I respect their beliefs. I do not insult their beliefs even though i have different views. Its basic courtesy. Kindergarten rules still apply.

@Sex_With_A_Snail Because Hindus and Buddhist still belief in some magical property so I have no respect for them either. I don't...

Buddhism is finding the meaning of life and peace within yourself. There is no God. Just basically meditating and finding an answer to life.

@1675707

Black people.

@1675707

I think I just lost a large sum of respect for you.

This reminds me of imagine by John Lennon

Juliafaces avatar Juliaface Yeah You Are +3Reply

finally someone said it! i applaud you

spimax12s avatar spimax12 Yeah You Are +2Reply

So in a perfect world there would be no religious people and no non-religious people?

@mchalla3 Pretty much that the concept of atheism and theism never existed.

That just means everyone would be atheist, but the post says there are no atheists either.
They wouldn't be called atheists because everyone would be, but they would still be atheists.

@Sex_With_A_Snail Science.

That's not an explanation. Explain what scientific data proves that the universe could not have been intentionally created.

@personThingy That's not an explanation. Explain what scientific data proves that the universe could not have been intentionally...

That's what we don't know.... that's like saying "tell me what is dark matter"...

and that's the one thing religious people cling on as the evidence of a God.

@TalkingRice That's what we don't know.... that's like saying "tell me what is dark matter"... and that's the one thing...

I'm not defending anyone who claims there is evidence of God's existence, but SomeDude just said there was evidence, and now you both agree that you don't know what it is.

@personThingy I'm not defending anyone who claims there is evidence of God's existence, but SomeDude just said there was...

"but SomeDude just said there was evidence..."
Are you implying I said there is evidence for god or evidence for science?

@Sex_With_A_Snail "but SomeDude just said there was evidence..." Are you implying I said there is evidence for god or evidence for...

I meant you said you have evidence for the lack of a God.
Technically you said logic, not evidence, but either way I don't see it in this thread.

I couldn't tell you. No one can, at the moment. Instead of saying god did it why not question why we're here?

@Sex_With_A_Snail I couldn't tell you. No one can, at the moment. Instead of saying god did it why not question why we're here?

So nobody can prove there is no God, but you insist on believing it anyway, and saying that everyone else is wrong.

Remind you of someone?

What do you mean "why we're here?" If there is no higher power that created us, then we're here by accident, and that's the end of it.

@Sex_With_A_Snail Let me rephrase "why we're here". How about "how we came to be".

I assumed you would know how we came to be better than I do. We started as single cell organisms, then we mutated and became more complex life forms like fish, then we eventually grew legs and started living on land, then someone got the idea of using 2 legs instead of 4, and now here we are. Or something. I'm not about to do any research. Still, the only thing we don't know about how we got here is whether or not it was caused by someone (and if so, then by whom), which is a matter of belief.
Why do I have to ask about this instead of "saying God did it?" Just because I believe the universe was created by God doesn't mean I'm not interested in how he did it.

@Sex_With_A_Snail Then we'd all just be humans who follow logic.

Youre being just as annoying and disrespectful as stupid Christians. Don't put yourself on a fucking pedestal just because you don't believe in a higher power.

@Sex_With_A_Snail I'll put myself on any goddamn pedestal I want.

then you're no better than the KKK who speak of white supremacy.

@Sex_With_A_Snail Fucks given - 0

ok. good day to you. you just seem like an immature douchebag right now.

I was actually agreeing with you, you know that right. (except for the pedestal comment) because that was just really unnecessary.

@1676132

Everyone has a different definition of perfect.

It wouldn't be a perfect world to everyone because everyone has different views of thinking and if they were suddenly forced to change they would be happy. Also, there are people that devote their lives to religion like nuns or monks, so if religion suddenly disappears what would they do?

Really? Just, wow. really?

@Some_Dude Really? Just, wow. really?

Woah man. We got an issue here.

That would make everyone atheist.

Go live in Ingsoc then.

Atheism isn't a belief, but rather a lack of a certain belief, right?

@Atheism isn't a belief, but rather a lack of a certain belief, right?

Atheism is the belief (and I stress the word BELIEF) that there is no God, Gods, or any other deities.

@Cpt_McMuffin Atheism is the belief (and I stress the word BELIEF) that there is no God, Gods, or any other deities.

But a world where nobody would believed in any religion would mean everyone is atheist, isn't that right?

@1675658

Did you say we need religious people to do good things?

I'm an Atheist and I donate money to charity, help anyone who needs help, and I have never hurt someone for personal gain. Did you know Bill Gates is an agnostic? The same guy who's going to donate 90% of his fortune to charity when he dies.

Sex_With_A_Snails avatar Sex_With_A_Snail Yeah You Are +10Reply
@1675683

I don't believe that. I'm a better person now than when I was religious.

@Sex_With_A_Snail I don't believe that. I'm a better person now than when I was religious.

I think what Purple_Cow means (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) is that some people, though not all, do good things because their religion says, "Do this and you will be rewarded after death." If these people didn't believe in a reward, they would not do good deeds.

@1675683

You're wrong there, some people use religion(more specifically christianity) as an excuse to do bad things because "they aren't perfect" and "god will forgive them"...if you've ever been in a "younglife" group, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

Supermannns avatar Supermannn Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1675683

I think you mean...religion offers some moral guidelines that may help the overall public.

Then what's the point of life?