+736

Parents shouldn't try to make their kids stop liking things due to the kid's gender, amirite?

Image for post Parents shouldn't try to make their kids stop liking things due to the kid's gender, amirite?
mashs avatar Life
52 111
The voters have decided that mash is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

As long as you don't have the parents who practically force girly stuff on their sons or manly stuff on their girls just so they don't "conform to gender roles." If your daughter wants a freaking easy-bake oven for Christmas, get her the freaking oven, not a stupid Power Ranger she doesn't want.

@fangirl12 As long as you don't have the parents who practically force girly stuff on their sons or manly stuff on their girls...

This reminds me about a yahoo! article that was about a boy who was raised gender neutral. The parents let him wear pink-sparkly things but banned black with skulls because it was "too masculine."

What annoys me is that, now that I am in college, I have friends who are all about "not conforming to gender roles" and someone who does that is seen as better than someone who does not. You should do what makes you happy and not try to end gender roles for the sake of making a point or try to force yourself to adapt to a stereotype that you would be unhappy in. This is coming from a guy who's favorite show is "Project Runway."

-- Pointless rant over. I'm really sorry...

@Lkun This reminds me about a yahoo! article that was about a boy who was raised gender neutral. The parents let him wear...

How is banning masculine things gender nuetral?

People should like what they like, not be gender hipsters.

@fangirl12 How is banning masculine things gender nuetral? People should like what they like, not be gender hipsters.

Beats me... I'll try to find the article.

That's what bothered me about it. I can't tell you how to raise your child, but don't parade your ulterior motives around as something that they are not.

@1688928

That's how Justin Biebers born.

My mom had a friend when she was a kid, and she said her mother was very insistent on her daughters being different. Like, she wanted them to join boyscouts and got them unicycles instead of bikes.
I feel like if they want to learn to ride a unicycle, they can, but you don't want to force them into being interesting. What if they turned out really shy and hated that everyone thought they were different? And in my experience most girls would not like to join boy scouts.

This is funny because originally pink was a boy color and blue was a girl color

@AwkwardMoments1 And then Hitler happened . . .

I dont know if you were sarcastic or not, but the pink/blue gender correspondence did change around the time of Hitler

sb123s avatar sb123 Yeah You Are +12Reply
@sb123 I dont know if you were sarcastic or not, but the pink/blue gender correspondence did change around the time of Hitler

Are the two things related? I've never read up on Hitler so I have no idea if forcing Aryan boys to wear blue was one of his kinky fetishes.

dzmaxs avatar dzmax Yeah You Are +10Reply

No, I was serious! We talked about it last year in AP Euro. If I remember correctly, he did it mostly to degrade homosexuals. ("Pink is a girls color now, and gays have to wear pink! Take that!")

AwkwardMoments1s avatar AwkwardMoments1 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1677105

A lobster is my guess

DryTurtles avatar DryTurtle Yeah You Are +79Reply
@DryTurtle A lobster is my guess

girls can like lobsters too ;__;

mashs avatar mash Yeah You Are +92Reply
@mash girls can like lobsters too ;__;

I didn't say that it made sense lol

DryTurtles avatar DryTurtle Yeah You Are +7Reply
@DryTurtle I didn't say that it made sense lol

haha I know, it made me laugh though :D

mashs avatar mash Yeah You Are +9Reply
@1677105

haha I was just about to add that in the comments. It's supposed to be a toy wrench. Trust me, my attempts at a toy car and hammer were worse. I was also going to add that I had to start this over because firefox crashed when I was almost done and I was pissed off :I

mashs avatar mash Yeah You Are +28Reply
@1677105

Looks like a fish.

silvershadow6s avatar silvershadow6 Yeah You Are +9Reply

When commercials for male-oriented toys came on, I immediately thought "I'm not supposed to ask for that, that's for boys" even though I wanted some of them really bad.

I appreciate this post a lot because it encourages self expression from an early age, props! :)

Montanas avatar Montana Yeah You Are +29Reply
@Montana When commercials for male-oriented toys came on, I immediately thought //"I'm not supposed to ask for that, that's...

My mom can be strict,
But is very accepting
For which I'm thankful.

Wow. What an awesome haiku.

@Montana That was a pretty good haiku.

I'm glad you liked it;
It took about two minutes
Because I'm awesome.

On a roll today.

@I'm glad you liked it; It took about two minutes Because I'm awesome. On a roll today.

On a roll today
Making awesome haikus on
The Post of the Day

And it rhymes, oh snap!

@But you made day rhyme with day... I hardly think that counts

A rhyme is a rhyme
Even if it is with "day"
You'll learn it in time.

@1688859

So clever.

@1688930

I really like when I'm noticed for my kindness.

@1688927

I was referring
To both me and anon's poems.
That's why it's plural.

@MartellusBoss I was referring To both me and anon's poems. That's why it's plural.

Oh I understand
Although anonymous, I
Like to get credit.

@Oh I understand Although anonymous, I Like to get credit.

This is a Haiku.
Wait. Actually, it's not.
There are too many syllables on the last line.

@th3don i thought a haiku was 575.

That was correct then;
I used the correct pattern
Just as I was taught.

@That was correct then; I used the correct pattern Just as I was taught.

You guys are retards
Haikus are for big douchebags
Oh shit this is one

@amiritesucksnow You guys are retards Haikus are for big douchebags Oh shit this is one

Hahahahaha
That was very funny, mutt
You're a big dog now.

I felt the same way about anime because when I was a kid I saw them as "boy shows" so I thought I shouldn't like them. Especially when Naruto first came out, even though I hadn't see any episodes yet.

Oh, glad you like it! I did something sort of similar in that if something was very girly and pink I wouldn't ask for it (even if I wanted it) because it was assumed I'd like that stuff.

mashs avatar mash Yeah You Are +1Reply

Totally reminded me of this.

@HastyCroissant Totally reminded me of this.

I was actually gonna quote that, but I couldn't really figure out how to make it work.

I love this so much, I'm sorry that you had trouble and it didn't go through the first time. I'm sure we lost some enthusiasm. But still, fantastic post, and illustration, and thought. :)

Suzywaos avatar Suzywao Yeah You Are +16Reply
@Suzywao I love this so much, I'm sorry that you had trouble and it didn't go through the first time. I'm sure we lost some...

...Wow, thanks very much! I'm really flattered by this comment haha. It was a little frustrating to redo it, but I think the spacing turned out better in this version, so it doesn't bother me greatly. Thanks again! :D

mashs avatar mash Yeah You Are +12Reply

I love this post so much. I have no idea why people still find this a difficult concept to grasp! :)

Chous avatar Chou Yeah You Are +12Reply
@Chou I love this post so much. I have no idea why people still find this a difficult concept to grasp! :)

The thing the girl's holding looks pretty difficult to grasp
Ha ha.
No?
I'll go sleep then.

@Francois The thing the girl's holding looks pretty difficult to grasp Ha ha. No? I'll go sleep then.

The girl seems to be firmly grasping it with her hand efficiently enough.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +11Reply
@Synesthesia

hehe, the audio sounds funny if you look at it in a certain way.

Firmly grasp it in your hand. FIRMLY grasp it. FIRMLY GRASP IT!!! ...That ought to do it.

Gambiteers avatar Gambiteer Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Synesthesia

I knew somebody would catch that!

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +5Reply

This reminded me of the parents who tried to raise a genderless baby, to "stop it being affected by the social norms" and let it play with/wear whatever it wanted. But I think that's taking it way too far.

@1688852

I agree with most of what you said, however I believe the brother you are referring to preferred dressed over pants.

Suzywaos avatar Suzywao Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1688852

I completely agree. Also I was actually thinking about this story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news...ild-Sasha.html

I had forgotten about Storm.

@Suzywao Which party specifically was taking it too far in your opinion?

I think the parents thought it was better not having society force the child to behave in a way that was considered "normal", but they themselves are forcing the child to be something that they are not, by not having a gender, as the child is too young to decide for themselves. In my opinion, your gender is a very big part of your identity, and the parents are being extreme by removing it altogether. I see where they're coming from as the idea of the child not having to worry about whether playing with dolls seemed too "girly" or playing football was "too much of a boy thing" is actually good in principle, but the way they went about it was taking it too far.

Okay this may not actually be related to the post any more because I'm getting myself confused now but yeah...

They look like they're making eyes at each other hello smilie

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +9Reply

boy should be holding a pony...

th3dons avatar th3don Yeah You Are +8Reply
@th3don boy should be holding a pony...

the point is that a boy can hold whatever the hell he wants to hold he doesn't have to fit in the stereotypes

@1688923

/)*(\ brohoof

th3dons avatar th3don Yeah You Are +6Reply
@1688860

It's ok. Everyone thinks I'm a lesbian because I don't wear makeup or jump, scream, and flap my hands all at the same time when I'm excited.

@1688860

I know that feel. I mean I make out with a girl once, and everyone thinks i'm a lesbian.

For a second I thought drawing posts were back...

@itube For a second I thought drawing posts were back...

It was taken down because Ant wanted to tweak it. It's coming back.

points at profile picture

Nobody gets to decide the type of television I watch.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +6Reply

Well I think this calls for a shameless self promotion!

@1689226

Dang gurl. Look at them legs.

@1688939

D'aww you guys make me feel so pretty

@1688932

I read '6th' as '65th' and had to read it like, four times before I got it...

Am I the only one who thinks that the girl looks like Rumia from touhou?
but that would mean that she's actually holding a severed limb... shudder

When my sister started noticing that I like guy stuff more than girly things, she thought I was a lesbian.

Though I don't think there'll be many people seeing this since the post is kind of old now, I saw this the other day and decided to put it here:

mashs avatar mash Yeah You Are +1Reply

They're dressed like they're from the 50's

@They're dressed like they're from the 50's

Not really. Maybe the most "out-of-date" thing is the girl's bow, that's it.

@1689058

I think the lack of controversy has to do with the demographic of amirite users. I've seen many older people (though this isn't exclusive to them) try to force their kids to like certain things, and I think that there are a lot of people who would disagree had they seen this. I think that it's sort of sad, too, that parents still do this.

mashs avatar mash Yeah You Are +6Reply
@1689058

You are sadly misinformed of the outside world. You don't seem to know how argumentative an issue this is.

OnePiecepkmns avatar OnePiecepkmn Yeah You Are +3Reply

...but boys still have to dress like boys and girls should still have to dress like girls. Otherwise, I'll be calling chicks "sir."

@eldorito but boys still have to dress like boys and girls should still have to dress like girls. Otherwise, I'll be...

If you listen closely, you can just barely make out the sound of the point going right over your head.

That is, unless you can think of a gender neutral word, or not be stupid enough to mistake them for a different gender.

@That is, unless you can think of a gender neutral word, or not be stupid enough to mistake them for a different gender.

Good idea. I'll just stare at the person's chest. If I see tits, it's a girl. If not, it's a boy. And if I can't tell, I'll just call the person "sir or madam." That won't be offensive at all.