+354

Expectations... Reality, amirite?

Image for post Expectations... Reality, amirite?
Evanhaubners avatar
49 8
The voters have decided that Evanhaubner is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

this is funny cus you drew both.

Yeah! You're a good artist!

SureImRites avatar SureImRite Yeah You Are 0Reply

Is this an observation on the discrepancy between the expectation and actual result of one's drawing ability? Or is it a comment on the unfortunate letdown known as "Mockingjay"? Either way, I agree :)

EmptyMelodiess avatar EmptyMelodies Yeah You Are -2Reply
@Evanhaubner It's the first! I personally loved Mockingjay... what made it a letdown for you?

Well, first off, I didn't like what happened to Katniss as a character. I feel like she slowly deteriorated from an awesome heroine into an annoying mess. I can't stand how she continued to handle the Gale/Peeta situation; it really wasn't fair for her to toy with them both that way throughout the series, but she kept it up right until the very end.

But I mostly didn't like how everything felt so rushed. Especially the deaths... I mean, I didn't even really care when Prim died because it felt like she was just one more of many unnecessary deaths that had already occurred. I hated that Finnick had to die; in addition to being unnecessary, he was also one of my favorites.

Finally, I wish we had been given more of an epilogue. I would have liked to know a bit more about what became of Gale and the general state of the country after the revolution.

Now, I didn't think it was a bad book overall, but considering how good the first two were, I guess I just expected better.

EmptyMelodiess avatar EmptyMelodies Yeah You Are +8Reply
@EmptyMelodies Well, first off, I didn't like what happened to Katniss as a character. I feel like she slowly deteriorated from an...

I feel like most of the points you made could be explained by Suzanne Collins's want to show what a war does to people, and how when people die in a war, they don't get the respect they deserve. It shows that most people think that as long as we achieve our goal, it doesn't matter who get's hurt along the way. She killed off beloved characters because if she had just harmed people you didn't care about, than you wouldn't have minded their deaths, which goes against the whole point she's trying to make. For Katniss, the war completely destroyed her emotionally, and while I agree that she was annoying at times, her breakdown shows what these traumatizing events do to people.

I think the reason why we weren't given as much detail in the epilogue is because the book is in Katniss's POV, and we only find out information that she knows. She might have never been told what happens to Gale or the rest of Panem.

I hope this makes you see things differently! If not, then you're completely entitled to your own opinion!

Evanhaubners avatar Evanhaubner Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Evanhaubner I feel like most of the points you made could be explained by Suzanne Collins's want to show what a war does to...

I know authors will kill off a bunch of characters in order to convey the gravity of the situation, but I still don't like it. As for Katniss' breakdown, that just seemed out of character to me. Here's a character that's been through hell on multiple occasions and only now she can't keep it together? I expected better from her.

Yes, the story was told from her point of view, but it would have been nice to have some extra info in the epilogue.

I don't know... I think I was looking for the same impact left by The Deathly Hallows (that's a tall order!), which Mockingjay did not provide. I should probably try to avoid having any expectations in the future.

Anyway, I'm really glad you loved it! This is all extremely subjective, and I'm happy that people have different opinions than mine.

EmptyMelodiess avatar EmptyMelodies Yeah You Are +2Reply