+19

It's annoying how every new movie is claimed to be the "#1 movie in America", amirite?

awwyeahs avatar
0 7
The voters have decided that awwyeah is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The #1 movie tends to change every 1-2 weeks. I'm not sure why this confuses so many people.

@wobbuffet The #1 movie tends to change every 1-2 weeks. I'm not sure why this confuses so many people.

I'm not confused. I'm talking about when two (or more) movies that come out on the same day are both claimed to be the number one movie at the same time about a week after their release. They obviously cannot both be the number one movie

awwyeahs avatar awwyeah Yeah You Are 0Reply
@awwyeah I'm not confused. I'm talking about when two (or more) movies that come out on the same day are both claimed to be...

It's possible you see something like "#1 family movie" in America when the movie isn't actually #1, but they would never just outright lie.

@wobbuffet It's possible you see something like "#1 family movie" in America when the movie isn't actually #1, but they...

No, they legitimately just say "the #1 movie in America". And yes they would just outright lie. The media always lies or over-exaggerates the truth. That's how they get people to buy stuff. If they were honest and said "hey guys, this movie sucked ass... But you should go see it anyway because that'd be great for sales purposes!" do you think people who go see it? No, they wouldn't

awwyeahs avatar awwyeah Yeah You Are +3Reply
@awwyeah No, they legitimately just say "the #1 movie in America". And yes they would just outright lie. The media always...

The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Can you post an example of a movie commercial/advertisement that's lied?

@wobbuffet The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Can you post an example of a movie commercial/advertisement...

A movie commercial: no, because people only post the original movie trailers on the Internet, not ones that claim said movie is the #1 movie in America. Other advertisements: yes. Example: how toothpaste companies claim "4 out of 5 dentists recommend (insert toothpaste brand here)". That's obviously just a false advertising technique. From a statistical standpoint, 5 surveyed dentists is definitely not a big enough sample to form any statistical proof. Also, if 4 out of 5 dentists recommend Colgate and 4 out of 5 dentists recommend crest, both claims get discredited because they are conflicting "facts".
Another example: ever notice how alcohol advertisements always make it seem like the guy drinking the beverge is the man. What they're trying to communicate to viewers is "hey, you'll be the life of the party, you'll be the big shot, and you'll get all the fine women IF you drink our alcohol. Is that ever really the case? Nope. Another false advertising technique. Anyone who believes the media doesn't lie to us in order to get their product to sell is naive.

@awwyeah A movie commercial: no, because people only post the original movie trailers on the Internet, not ones that claim...

Let me know when you get that movie advertisement. I'm quite positive that no movie advertisement has ever knowingly lied about the movie's rank in America.