+233

There are those words out there, like ironic, idiom, paradigm, and oxymoron, that are hard to define without using an example, amirite?

ihatelizardss avatar
4 5
The voters have decided that ihatelizards is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I think, as the example of the first two posts suggests (!), that the definitions of those words rely on context to have meaning. Yeah, an oxymoron is a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, but the pudding is in "seemingly". In order for something to "seem" like something, it has to be interpreted first. That means, it may not "seem" like that to me, even if it "seems" like that to you. The only way to get a standard definition is to give an example and have it ratified as logical. You can tell me the dictionary definition, but I won't understand it until I've personalized it. But then, maybe not. I should be studying for my networking final...

Oxymoron- A word of phrase that contradicts itself.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm Oxymoron- A word of phrase that contradicts itself.

From that definition one could think "she has long hair that is short" is an oxymoron.

Suzywaos avatar Suzywao Yeah You Are +4Reply

Alright, my point with my post was that some of these words are hard to define, not completley impossible. I understand that some people have a better grasp on how to portray an oxymoron or an idiom than I do.

ihatelizardss avatar ihatelizards Yeah You Are 0Reply