-149

For a movie called the "hunger games" there wasn't all that much hunger. Think about it. Every other scene in the city segment was of them in their upscale hotel room eating at a table covered in food. And in one scene a kid got a soup based helicopter drop. Sure they may be kind of hungry, in like one or two scenes, but they were not 3rd world Ethiopia hungry. With a title like the hunger games there should have been more hunger, or at the very least some cannabalism, amirite?

Qeezs avatar
3 22
The voters have decided that Qeez is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1692770

This wasn't stated explicitly in the movie. In fact if you hadn't read the books than you wouldn't know because the whole purpose of the hunger games was kind of glossed over with a incredibly vague explanation. And while it may very well be in the books, that is arbitrary as this post is about the movie.

Qeezs avatar Qeez Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1693111

the "if you hadn't" was a general statement that implies that if someone, anyone,hadn't read the books, they couldn't have inferred that. the "if" represents a hypothetical situation in which "you" (i.e. the reader of that post) is supposed to pretend that they had not read the books. The statement wasn't addressing "you" specifically, i suppose a better word would have been "one", but they meet the same end.

Qeezs avatar Qeez Yeah You Are +2Reply

Read the books

Fv92s avatar Fv92 No Way +24Reply
@1693097

Or that you were oblivious to the fact that the Hunger Games is a book series, too.

@KirstenAnn Or that you were oblivious to the fact that the Hunger Games is a book series, too.

or i added the "for a movie" line because i knew the people who read the books would promptly pull up their suspenders, slide back their askew glasses, and lecture me endlessly about the hunger catniss has faced. for a bunch of people who claim to be reading books they are kind of shit at picking up on qualifiers.

Qeezs avatar Qeez Yeah You Are -3Reply
@1710584

well than you have some very shallow principles. Also i never claimed that i read the book, i just know it exists. Your argument is based on the premise that i can't talk about a movie separate from its books. Thats like saying i can't make a comment about a shortcoming of the harry potter movies if the books didn't have a short coming. Its silly because even if the books covered it we would be talking about a shortcoming of the movie. its the same principle here. And, if you feel that the books are pertinent to this discussion I once again defer you back to the "for a movie" line.

Qeezs avatar Qeez Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1710584

At the end of the day i don't care if the books were the reincarnation of Jesus Muhammad Siddhartha Christ. Yes, the books could have had starving Ethiopian children every three seconds.However, did the movie emphasize the hunger? no. Was i talking about the movie? yes. Is the book relevant? sure. Is it relevant to this discussion? no, because this discussion should be about the movie as its own entity.

Qeezs avatar Qeez Yeah You Are 0Reply

Well yeah, they weren't hungry in the city scenes. That's because the Capitol can easily afford to live and dine exquisitely while the districts are forced to starve; it's important to see that. Reading the books will give you a much clearer perspective on the whole hunger thing though.

@Sarcasm_on_ice Well yeah, they weren't hungry in the city scenes. That's because the Capitol can easily afford to live and dine...

The movie is called The Hunger Games because it's based off the books. I know we're not talking about the books, because you've fucking said it 100000 times, BUT you need to realize that the movie can't include every single bit of detail that is included in the book, and the book explains this "lack of hunger" very well. The movie makers simply didn't have the time, or they didn't think it was important. The reason the book is getting brought up so much is because you wouldn't have the movie without the book, not because we can't read "for a movie"

PLUS PLUS PLUS, the COMPETITION is called the hunger games, and the title of the book/movie is the hunger games because that's the most important part. The soup flew from the sky because someone in the capitol paid for it to. In case you didn't notice, all they showed them eating the entire competition was a bird and that soup, and the competiton took place over a few weeks. (something like that, it's been a while since I read them) During the competition, they were very hungry.

This is all directed at OP, in case you hadn't picked that up yet.

I havn't read the books =). And I didn't know about them.I just watched the movie out of boredom, so I didn't know of the hype surrounding the film (yeah I live on my own special planet)Anyhow,when I saw the movie I did get it. The entire concept that is of 'The hunger games'. But you're right I didn't get the 'vibe' of hunger in any part of the film.. but I didn't miss it iether (Infact I didn't think of it till I saw this post) I think it maybe because you have read the books and perhaps in the books there was a really strong consistent vibe of hunger, which you missed in the film because you were all too aware of it. However for someone like me who hadn't read the books, I didnt find the title of the movie unsatisfying in any way while watching the film..... SO It's safe to say that you have a point however, I think the movie makers did the film justice..it's not easy to compare the books with the movie PLUS the movie made me want to read the books =) and I'm sure the books are gonna be more insightful and will have a hunger vibe which was not present in the movie.But it's understood that it's not really required as long as the concept is understood. It depends on an individu...

*individuals artistic take on the same story. Maybe a different person would have made the film in a different manner. I think if you had made the film you would have definitly put in more stress on the hunger vibe.

@8Durkaron, You, you actually know whats going on. I could hug you. My only point was that the FILM fell short on delivering the motif of hunger, for which the series is named. That'd be like watching a lord of the rings movie where they just kind of gloss over the "RING."

i never read the books, and that is why i solely wanted this discussion to be on the movie as a standalone piece. I firmly believe that in order to justify itself being made into a movie it needs to be watchable, and comprehensible, separate from its books, like harry potter was. For the most part it accomplished this goal i was just making note of the fact that, what i assume was a huge aspect of the book, was kind of overlooked by the director.

Qeezs avatar Qeez Yeah You Are 0Reply

But i said movie not books. And most of the movies takes place in the city. Therefore for a movie called the hunger games there wasn't that much hunger. Also soup comes from the sky if people like you enough. There just wasn't a vibe of hunger in the majority of the movie.

Qeezs avatar Qeez Yeah You Are -12Reply

Cannibalism was not allowed in the games. It was done in some games, and the gamemakers killed the people who ate others. The gamemakers kind of wanted the bodies preserved for collection.

@MusicIsAGift Cannibalism was not allowed in the games. It was done in some games, and the gamemakers killed the people who ate...

What?! that should have been talked about in the movie that would have made the games history seem way more intense.

Qeezs avatar Qeez Yeah You Are +1Reply

I think most of the hunger was the hunger to live

What about that whole scene where she was like dying or something and Peeta threw her bread?

@Infinity What about that whole scene where she was like dying or something and Peeta threw her bread?

I know that there was some scenes involving "hunger", but the whole topic was forgotten during the rest of the movies. It didn't feel like they were fighting for food. Or they were desperate. i don't know i just, personally, felt like they should have emphasized the real "hunger", i.e. the real driving force behind the games, the competitors, and the world in general.

Qeezs avatar Qeez Yeah You Are 0Reply

I don't think it's literally meant as hunger as in food. Yeah, maybe the poorer districts - 12, 11, etc - were hungry, but the better off districts - 1 and 2 - were described as being the Capitol's lapdogs.