+6

One of the biggest misconceptions about Christianity brought about by preachers like Joel Olsteen and Catholicism is that God is completely loving and will do no harm. That's not true: He will let people suffer. He will let harm fall upon you, you just have to ask Him for help and turn to Him. Yes, this probably makes Him malevolent, but He definitely isn't going to make your life completely easy as atheists think that we believe, amirite?

thatguyss avatar Religion
1 8
The voters have decided that thatguys is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's like in the book of Job. All that bad stuff happened to him, but he kept his faith, and in the end prevailed.

Instead of listening to the odd preacher I think you need to read some Christian teachings, you don't seem to understand the religion your criticising.
Surface to say theirs something called Free Will and God wanting us to learn from our mistakes.
Read about Free Will and the Problem of Evil and you'll understand things a bit better.

Yeah he sounds awesome....i have always wanted to serve a sadistic prick. Sign me up

Trishs avatar Trish No Way -1Reply
@Trish Yeah he sounds awesome....i have always wanted to serve a sadistic prick. Sign me up

How is it sadistic if He promises to help so long as you go to Him?

thatguyss avatar thatguys Yeah You Are 0Reply
@thatguys How is it sadistic if He promises to help so long as you go to Him?

Ok, if I threw you into a snake pit, took away the ladder and stood there letting you suffer until you screamed my name....am I sadistic or a "savior" when I give the ladder back?

Trishs avatar Trish No Way -1Reply
@Trish Ok, if I threw you into a snake pit, took away the ladder and stood there letting you suffer until you screamed my...

God doesn't throw you in the snake pit though. You do that yourself. A major point of Christianity is that almost every bad time you encounter is the consequence of a sin that occurred at one point in your life. Chances are it came from you acting upon lust, greed, etc. Things of the physical world.

Yes, I am aware that getting cancer out of the blue isn't from a sin committed. I said almost.

Your metaphor would work if I accidentally fell in a snake pit on my own accord because I didn't listen to you in the first place. Then you help me out when I ask and admit I was wrong instead of being arrogant and stubborn, refusing to admit that you were right.

@thatguys God doesn't throw you in the snake pit though. You do that yourself. A major point of Christianity is that almost...

Oh yea, and God tests often. Forgot to mention that. The other portion of bad times God lets upon you other than your own sin are the times he tests you, just like in the Book of Job that the anon. had posted about down below.

thatguyss avatar thatguys Yeah You Are +1Reply