+75

If the Spanish, English, Germans, and French, Polish, Italians (etc) are all categorized as Europeans; and the Chinese, Japanese, and Filipinos are all Asians because they are all in the same continent called Asia, and all the people that are native to Africa are called Africans. Mexicans, Canadians, and other Latin American people should be considered as Americans, like the people in the United States, considering the fact that they all are in the same continent called "America", amirite?

2 6

Why not North Americans? And that's just how it is, I'm not being arrogant when I say that I'm American

@PenguinsFly Why not North Americans? And that's just how it is, I'm not being arrogant when I say that I'm American

Actually you are absolutely right - it IS already North Americans and South Americans. The OP assumes "America" to be a single entity, whereas it is two distinct geographical regions.

Geographical technicality will never be able to supercede convention and traditions. Example - when you say "asian people" - do you incluide middle eastern people in that? you should, since it's part of Asia. Do you consider citizens of cuba as part of North America? you should, because they, along with 22 other countries make up North America which traditionally is thought of just as the US and Canada. Also, British rarely consider themselves "Europeans" in that sense, even though we really are. The same way the Russians technically are (at least some of them) but they hate it when you characterize them as European. Basically it's just a huge mess

The names got fucked up. Not really something to constantly bitch about.

Ahh finally someone else that thinks the same way as me!!

Izzie_23s avatar Izzie_23 Yeah You Are -1Reply

No thanks, I'd rather not be called American since a large portion of the world doesn't like Americans.