+272

It's interesting to think that if we started a full on nuclear war and destroyed everything about our civilization, including the people, the Earth would start to heal itself and after millions of years evolution would begin all over again and create a new dominant species completely different from humans, amirite?

sparesecondss avatar
14 25
The voters have decided that spareseconds is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Cockroaches would be my first guess.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +9Reply

Let's do a case study on Venus, shall we?

I know there're no nukes on Venus, but i'm working on the temperature rise and all the carbon locked up in biomass released into the atmosphere. Cockroaches survive radiation, not roasting. In that case, all life would be wiped out, and judging from what's we've seen of space, the chance of new life is incredibly rare.

You can't destroy humans without destroying everything else using only nukes. Those destroy everything.

@B10ckH34d Let's do a case study on Venus, shall we? I know there're no nukes on Venus, but i'm working on the temperature...

It depends on how powerful the nukes are. Some organisms can survive higher levels of radiation than humans, such as wasps or beetles. Those organisms would survive. Even they didn't, bacteria would, and so the evolutionary process would begin all over again. Not all life would be wiped out. Yes, it would be a very slim chance that mutations would occur in these life forms so that they become intelligent, but it's interesting to think about. Also, the intense radiation would probably make the whole process a lot more interesting.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +6Reply
@spareseconds It depends on how powerful the nukes are. Some organisms can survive higher levels of radiation than humans, such...

Full nuclear war= EVERYTHING!! They may survive the radiation, but not the temperatures brought about by all the nukes exploding. And definitly not Earth turning in tp Venus.

@B10ckH34d Full nuclear war= EVERYTHING!! They may survive the radiation, but not the temperatures brought about by all the...

The Earth would eventually cool down though, and since we have the means to support life, life would eventually come back. And plus I don't think even conditions as intense as that would kill all forms of bacteria. Really, how many nukes does it take to kill everyone? Not every area needs a nuke. If you targeted important areas like food sources, it wouldn't take long for everyone to die. The radiation would kill a lot of people but the rest would die of other reasons, such as hunger, chaos, or disease.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +1Reply
@spareseconds The Earth would eventually cool down though, and since we have the means to support life, life would eventually...

Full, dammit, FULL NUCLEAR WAR. It's not full unless you can't do more than you have done. Is there life on Venus? Earth would become another Venus due to the release of carbon dioxide from all the biomass. THis would raise temperatures to well over 200 degrees celsius, which wouldkill all life, including the one that live in the hot springs.

@B10ckH34d Full, dammit, FULL NUCLEAR WAR. It's not full unless you can't do more than you have done. Is there life on Venus?...

Yes, it's possible all life could die. But then again, Earth was really hot after the Big Bang. Then it cooled down and life showed up. Who's to say the same couldn't happen after a nuclear war?

@spareseconds Yes, it's possible all life could die. But then again, Earth was really hot after the Big Bang. Then it cooled down...

Earth didn't exist during the big bang. I coagulated out of a disk around the sun about 10 billion years after the big bang. it also wasn't surrounded by heat-trapping greenhouse gasses back then. There was a time when there was a lot of carbon dioxide, but it was slowly taken care of by plants, which evolved from bacteria, which had to be made by like a lightning bolt in an exact place. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm saying its highly unlikely.

@B10ckH34d Earth didn't exist during the big bang. I coagulated out of a disk around the sun about 10 billion years after the...

Oops, excuse my factual inaccuracy. Yeah, this is a hypothetical situation. The beginning of life on this Earth was a highly unlikely chance, but it still happened. Maybe a better way to word it would be, what would happen if all people died, maybe from a widespread disease or natural disaster and humans were wiped from the Earth and another species became dominant. It doesn't necessarily have to be a nuclear war.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are -1Reply
@B10ckH34d Ok well if you take away the nuclear war, then I don't know what I'm arguing.

The point of me saying it should be reworded was to end any disputes about the plausibility of the situation.

Besides, you said it could happen but the chances would be unlikely. I know it would be unlikely, but it's a hypothetical situation.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1697286

Yeah. The reactors are a lot safer than missiles. You see, missiles are actually meant to destroy stuff. Also they go off pretty much all at once, as seen by FULL nuclear war.

@1697303

Ok yeah, that's a valid point. I also have o idea how far fallout can diffuse.

Yes, but why would there necessarily be a dominant species?

This reminds me of Adventure Time and the Mushroom War...

I know this sounds completely bizarre, but I heard somewhere that in the event of all humans disappearing, squid would be most likely to evolve into the next dominent species.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are 0Reply

Hey guys, I like cheese.

Or we would have the Hunger Games.

@More like Fallout.

War... war never changes.

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are -1Reply