+274

If you had the choice between adding ten years on to your life, or getting 10 million dollars, you'd pick the 10 million dollars, amirite?

Panda_moniums avatar
1 29
The voters have decided that Panda_monium is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

That depends. If I knew I was going to live to 90, I wouldn't want 10 years more. But if I was going to die at 30, I'd rather take the years.

@strawberrymoo That depends. If I knew I was going to live to 90, I wouldn't want 10 years more. But if I was going to die at 30...

I think we're assuming you live an average lifetime (prob 70-85 years In places with Internet.)

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +8Reply

I think if I had ten million dollars I could really make the most of the time I had, like go travelling all around the world and not having to worry about work. But if I had ten extra years, I'd still be poor, and not have as many experiences. So I'd take the money.

Starlight_dragons avatar Starlight_dragon Yeah You Are +28Reply

No shit I would. Imagine all the useless crap you could buy with 10 million dollars.

sx2ls avatar sx2l Yeah You Are +21Reply

Depends. If knew I might die tomorrow, then I'd take the 10 years. But if I knew I'd live until at least 70 regardless of which option I'd choose, then I'd choose the money.

Money is not the primary asset in life. Time is. If you have time you can make more money, but if you have money you can't make more time.

@Chewbanshee Money is not the primary asset in life. Time is. If you have time you can make more money, but if you have money...

I'd rather spend my time using money to do things I enjoy, than making money I won't have time to use.

I'd be old, though. If given the choice, I'd rather not wait until I'm retired to start living. I don't want objects, I want experiences, like traveling, skydiving, swimming with dolphins, writing a novel and not having to worry about how much I'll make from it. And by spending less time working, I'd be able to spend more time with my family and friends.

With 10 extra years you'll have plenty of time to use it. 10 million dollars is worth nothing compared to having time to relax with people I like being around. I'd honestly rather have just one more year of happiness than 100 billion diamonds.

If I live to 80 for sure, I'm not going to take the 10 years. I don't know when I'm going to die, and better to be safe than sorry. We're kind of on the same page here. I would use that extra 10 years to use the money I've made over the years and spend it travelling, gaining experience, spending time with family.

Maybe it's just personal preference. I think about how the world's going to be like in 100 years all the time. Just gaining new knowledge over the years would be so valuable to me.

Who needs 10 million dollars? I'd be satisfied with a steady income. 10 years will get me extra time with family and more time to do shit I never got the chance to do. Life is priceless. I can't believe so many voted yes on this post.

Assuming I'd live to a normal ripe ol' age either way, I'd take the money in a second. Hello college tuition and a rainy day fund for traveling.

Encore93s avatar Encore93 Yeah You Are +8Reply

I'm not even that bothered about living for a long time, as long as I get past 60 that's sound.

poppinyoualls avatar poppinyouall Yeah You Are +5Reply

$10 million would probably take ten years off your life.
I think I heard that the average life expectancy of someone who wins the lottery is about 10 years. It's just all the dramatic lifestyle changes.

@flynSpaghettiMonster $10 million would probably take ten years off your life. I think I heard that the average life expectancy of...

Ya'know you dont have to make yourself have "dramatic lifestyle changes" unless you're like Mike Tyson and just buying huge mansions and white tigers left from right, you aren't going to lose 10 years off your life.

It seems like that when you don't have the money. I am a pretty cheap person but I recently made about 6K and I am having a bit of trouble stopping myself from saying "oh, I might as well get that, I can afford it." I can imagine this being a lot worse with $10 mil.

Yeah that's understandable. I come from a frugral family, so i'm pretty cautious with money no matter how much I have. It depends on the person of course, just don't go overboard with it because money won't be there forever and might one day be all gone.

I wouldn't maj a million bucks in the extra ten years, and the money would let me retire early, effectively going me ten able bodies years instea of ten elderly years.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +3Reply

Yeah this would really depend on the circumstances of my life.

Only really rich people say no way on this.

abbeyds avatar abbeyd Yeah You Are +1Reply
@abbeyd Only really rich people say no way on this.

I vote no way, and I'm a typical broke 17 year old. And no, my family is not wealthy either.

If I HAD to choose one, I would take the 10 years, but I'd rather take neither. I definitely wouldn't take the money because I don't believe in taking large handouts that I don't necessarily need(like a car or a laptop). I believe that if I took the 10 million, I wouldn't appreciate it. And to me, wealth is pointless if I didn't work to get it.

I wouldn't take the 10 years because I believe that life is something that isn't meant to be extended by pure "magic" (which I'm assuming the OP meant would be the case), for the same reasons I wouldn't want to be given wealth. Everyone dies. It's something that I believe people should learn to accept. There's no point in pushing death away. Do the best you can with the time you're given, whether you die at age 25 or 100. If I were meant to die tomorrow from a random heart attack, and I suddenly was granted 10 extra years to live, I would live every day knowing that I still have time. Which I believe is wrong, because, like I said, everyone should accept death, not postpone it.

Marios avatar Mario No Way 0Reply

I would take the money, because assuming I would live to the average age (~75) I could have a better time using the money, rather than living another ten years. This is simply because Alzheimer's runs in my family, so I would probably be unhappy for those ten years.

somepeoples avatar somepeople Yeah You Are 0Reply
@somepeople I would take the money, because assuming I would live to the average age (~75) I could have a better time using the...

I understand what you mean, but I have seen my Grandmother suffer through this disease, and I can see how unhappy she is because she can recognize that she should remember something, and then feels bad that she can't. For example, she knows that my sister and I are related to her, but she doesn't know how and I can see that it hurts her when she has to ask. I don't want that for myself, so I would take the money so I can enjoy the best part of my life.

somepeoples avatar somepeople Yeah You Are +1Reply

That's terribly unfortunate :/ But yeah, I totally understand why you would want to take the money, as I have similar reasons myself.

mchalla3s avatar mchalla3 Yeah You Are -1Reply