+304

Not being assaulted is not a privilege to be earned through the judicious application of personal safety strategies. A woman should be able to walk down the street at 4 in the morning in nothing but her socks, blind drunk, without being assaulted, and I, for one, am not going to do anything to imply that she is in any way responsible for her own assault if she fails to Adequately Protect Herself. Men aren’t helpless dick-driven maniacs who can’t help raping a vulnerable woman, amirite?

love is consensual - “Not being assaulted is not a privilege to be...Emily Nagoski. no idea who she is, but i thank her. there is no excuse for rape and anyone who excuses it is insulting both the victim and the rapist.http://rapeisnotajoke.tumblr.com/post/10006345347/not-being-assaulted-is-not-a-privilege-to-be
Astronaut_Wills avatar Quotes
27 32
The voters have decided that Astronaut_Will is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Responsible actions should be taken by both parties.

That would be an ideal world. A woman SHOULD be able to do that, but, sadly, she can't. And she should know that. Now, if she were blind drunk, I wouldn't blame her because she has no idea what she's doing. But if she were totally sober, with a normal IQ, she just shouldn't do that and not expect some guy, who is blind drunk to not do anything. You see, when alcohol incapacitates the brain, sex is all the back-up brain thinks about, and has no normal rain to tell it otherwise.

If the guy is sober and has no mental condition, then he would also not do shit, except maybe hand her his jacket, or shirt, because it's okay for a guy to go around topless. If he has a mental condition, and the neighbourhood is known for such people, the girl still doesn't deserve to get assaulted or raped becaus she doesn't know what she's doing, but it's not that she was unlucky to get raped, but that she was lucky if she wasn't. It's a probability thing.

In the above scenario, she would be arrested by the police for inadequate exposure.

@1729308

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think as long as you're not a public disturbance to others it's okay.

@1729308

Well if she's not disturbing anyone then there's a small chance that she'll actually be caught.

It's in no way her fault. Just like if I were walking down a shady road at 4 and I get murdered and mutilated, no one would say I "deserved it", now would they? People think it's ok to blame the victim for gods sake just because she made it out alive. I guess that means she's in a well enough mental state to be blamed for a crime someone else did. Sounds legit, society.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +14Reply
@spareseconds It's in no way her fault. Just like if I were walking down a shady road at 4 and I get murdered and mutilated, no...

I'm sure nobody just "waltzes" into a dangerous place. You have to understand that there are circumstances. Sometimes the girl is just so poor that she can't move out of her ghetto town. Or that she's so young she doesn't know any better. Maybe she's out working late to support her family and can't afford a car. She didn't just go "whelp, might as well go prancing around this horribly dangerous area!" You can't always help it.

If they went in just for the sake of it and invited attack, then yes, they wholly deserved it. If they were just minding their own business and trying to be cautious, it's really only the perpetrator's fault.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +3Reply

I'm at fault for...walking down a street...here's the key phrase: minding my own business, not bothering anyone.

There's a difference between having no choice but to walk past a snake and walking inconspicuously versus taunting the snake and purposely provoking it. If there's a human out there who doesn't give half a fuck about someone else's rights, then it's obviously his fault when he commits a crime. He knows the consequences, he just doesn't care.

sparesecondss avatar spareseconds Yeah You Are +2Reply

If I'm walking past a snake, not even acknowledging the snake for being there, not looking at it, etc., and he bites me, then it's not my fault. It's not the snake's fault either because it doesn't know right from wrong. A snake doesn't know consequences.

People are going to rape, and you can always expect there to be someone in this world who will rape. However, when they do rape, it's still their fault. Just because it's inclined to happen doesn't mean they're innocent for the crime. A person walking down an alley should expect no consequences. They shouldn't have to care.

I can't fathom why you would blame the victim in any situation when they didn't purposely put themselves in there. If I'm just nonchalantly walking down the street and get shot, it's not my damn fault. That's why the shooter gets arrested, not the person with the gunshot wound. Clearly if someone got raped they're innocent because they didn't do anything. The person who did rape is guilty because they did. Therefore, blame is placed on the guilty one. Simple as that.

I completely see where you're coming from. If you walk down a dark alley, yes, be very cautious because it's dangerous. Yes, they shouldn't be walking down there in the first place. Yes, they know that they are risking a lot by doing so. They shouldn't be doing that if they want to be safe.

But what I'm saying is that even with all those things in mind, they're still the victims here. They never pulled a trigger, or hurt another person. That's why they don't deserve blame. Yes, they should've had common sense, but no, they didn't "deserve it".

If it's in a place that is known for high murder and rape rates, I would say you're at fault.

That's like walking close by a rattlesnake and saying that it's not your fault that it bit you because it infringes your rights to walk where you want when the snake obviously doesn't give half of a fuck about your rights.

My metaphor still applies. You're not trying to piss off a snake, you just walk on by. You shouldn't be provoked by it because, hey, you mean him no harm?

But you know snakes bite people. You just think he isn't going to bite because you're not taunting him or anything, so it shouldn't matter, just keep walking, idgaf. Funny, you even used this against me. A person is just walking by a snake, and "He knows the consequences, he just doesn't care."

Of course, you still get bit. Yea, the snake is at fault, he's getting killed afterwards probably. However, you are at fault for...wait for it...

"He knows the consequences, he just doesn't care."

Hm, I flat out disagree.

Some dude get poisoned because he didn't read a warning label from something he drank, he deserved it.

Someone gets killed by a snake because they thought it wouldn't bite them when they crossed its territory, they deserved it.

Some girl gets raped and killed because she waltzed into a neighborhood she knew was bad at the wrong time and place, yep, she deserved it too. Still a victim, the rapist was wrong, but she flat out deserved her fate if she ignored her common sense.

Ignorance is not an excuse to avoid blame and fate.

Ok, so this far into the debate, I'm noticing that you cannot even fathom the possibility of a world where people own up to their own mistakes in a scenario with a second party.

Which means you're just refusing to see that kind of world, where you can be called stupid for walking near a snake, fully knowing it's there and thinking it won't bite you because you haven't bothered it...

...or you do see it and you disagree with it. Either way you can't be swayed and won't admit to seeing my side of the opinion even though I can see yours.

Tl;dr, I'm not wasting my time on a debate that is going nowhere.

Rapists are maniacs though..

In way she would be kind if responsible for her asssult. Were all aware we don't live in a perfect world where things like this do happen. And even though a woman should be able to wonder around smashed at 4am, in the world we live in it is essentially asking to get assaulted since the asshats that do that kind of thing are out there.

Agree, in almost every single way. But, not rape specific but in general, can you really say that said hypothetical girl is in NO way responsible for I'll events that could befall her. Hard to compare accurately but if a man was walking around in the middle of the night blind drunk and naked and he got mugged for everything he had society today would definitely put blame on that man simply because 'He put himself in that vulnerable position through his own actions and suffering the consequences is understandable. Again not comparing rape to mugging but for assault in general it seems like a double standard.

@1729258

Maybe its a geographic thing or the people I'm around are different from your people but generally if a friend of mine said he was walking around naked and stupid drunk in the middle of the night and a couple guys rolled on him and took his wallet and phone people would (in a humorous tone) say that's what he gets for being incredibly irresponsible with his night and he shouldn't get sympathy. Obviously this doesn't apply to rape but I said that above

@John_MacTavish Maybe its a geographic thing or the people I'm around are different from your people but generally if a friend of...

this is completely irrelevant to this discussion, but I'm lolling at the thought of a naked man getting his wallet stolen... where is he keeping this?

Splashs avatar Splash Yeah You Are +56Reply

@ John: people seem to be jumping on you about this huh? I agree that it's unreasonable and sexist for people to think the women takes no responsibility for her actions. You can't do the things the post described and complain about mistreatment, but girls do all the time. Yet guys don't get this blind eye kind of pass.

@@ John: people seem to be jumping on you about this huh? I agree that it's unreasonable and sexist for people to...

Wow wow wow buddy. Thanks for the support but I am in NO way condoning the assault of a girl based on her actions or calling it fair. And I'm definitely not calling the objective view of women taking no fault 'sexist' because it's not. In my view women get off more than guys for this kind of behavior simply for being women, but I never implied they deserve it. Thanks again, but I don't think I share your thought process.

@1729259

If a girl walks through town at 4 in the morning, she is asking to get hurt.

...do you have any idea how messed up you just sounded?

@If a girl walks through town at 4 in the morning, she is asking to get hurt. ...do you have any idea how messed up...

Aparently we live in different towns. You don't walk alone through south side at night where I live.

@1729259

That doesn't justify her attackers, though.

Uzumaki_Narutos avatar Uzumaki_Naruto Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Uzumaki_Naruto That doesn't justify her attackers, though.

True but it seems like girls get special treatment here. If a guy walked through a ghetto carrying shopping bags full of cash, and got robbed you'd say he was an idiot.
You see what I mean? Why doesn't it apply to girls?

@1729259

It does! However, the fact that the person was mugged/raped isn't the person's fault; it's the attacker's. Responsible actions should be taken on both sides, but regardless of what someone is doing before they get attacked, unless they were attacking somebody themselves, they aren't at fault for what happens.

Uzumaki_Narutos avatar Uzumaki_Naruto Yeah You Are +2Reply