bangss avatar Politics
8 19
The voters have decided that bangs is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Amirite is a little too liberal for this to get a good score, but I completely agree. Well said.

AtheisticMystics avatar AtheisticMystic Yeah You Are +8Reply
@AtheisticMystic Amirite is a little too liberal for this to get a good score, but I completely agree. Well said.

Why thank you, I can't take full credit though because I got the idea from Jake Brigance in the movie A Time to Kill, and just changed the wording a bit.

bangss avatar bangs Yeah You Are +1Reply

I'm assuming that you're not from outside of Texas.

@eldorito I'm assuming that you're not from outside of Texas.

Eldorito used Confusion. It's not very effective...

oh yes cause conservatives are only from Texas

FlotatiousTurds avatar FlotatiousTurd Yeah You Are +1Reply

So just say he's from Texas instead of using a double negative. Idiot.

crispys avatar crispy Yeah You Are -10Reply

I'd rather see comfirmed, without a doubt, self-admitted murderers and rapists die than have them living in jail.
Where they of course can watch TV, get an education, get 3 meals a day, have clothes and warmth due to the money of the citizens.

People who have done horrible things, who have destroyed peoples lives, robbed familes of a mother or brother, and show no remorse do not really deserve to live.
However, I can see both sides which is why I only agree with the death penalty when the guilty party is 100% guilty.
If there is any cause for doubt, I am against it.

Let's think of all the things wrong with the death penalty:
-It's expensive.
-You're not giving the murderer a second chance at life.
-You're doing the same thing the defendant did to get the penalty.
-When you tell their family, you can't just say "Oh, but don't worry, your mom/dad/child/sibling/husband/wife was a murderer, so they deserved it."
-You risk killing several innocent people.
-Apparently it's "not used enough."

@personThingy Let's think of all the things wrong with the death penalty: -It's expensive. -You're not giving the murderer a...

1. Hanging is much more slow and painful than a lethal injection. If we are going to kill people, we should at least make it as painless as possible. (Or, you know, we could just not kill people)
2. Okay, that's a fair point, but are all murderers really given no chance of parole? Just because someone really hated one person enough to kill them doesn't mean they will spend their whole lives as a threat to society.
3. Who are we to decide who has the right to live and who doesn't? Executing murderers won't bring the victims back to life.
4. That won't make them feel any better. If the criminal really had no chance of returning to society, and the method of killing is painless, then you're punishing the family more than you're punishing the offender.
5. I don't think we should be risking lives in order to kill people. Even if the criminal deserved to die, if we kill innocent people we are no better than they are. When forensic science becomes flawless, then it's a possibility.

1. !!! One important fact you guys forgot: The death penalty does not deter murder. Murder rates are actually higher in states/countries WITH the death penalty.

2. I, personally, believe that no person, group, and especially no institution, has the right to take a human being's right to live away. The right to live ranks higher than any law man could ever make. Killing is never right.

3. No matter how evil and disgusting a person is - killing them just sets the wrong example. It shows that violence is the right method to succeed - no, not even to succeed (in saving lives, for instance) - it shows that killing is a legitimate way of MAKING A POINT, of TAKING REVENGE!

Sadly, America seems not to have made this vital realization yet: The right to live is untouchable. Germany and Austria have. Maybe because of our shared history... Anyway, I do hope that America, as a country, as one, will one day climb the next step of moral development.

1. I was only said hanging because of costs but a firing squad would do fine (if that makes you happy)
2. Not all murderers but those who have received several life sentences. But they must be punished and they must be considered a threat otherwise all we would do is
"So you only wanted to kill that one guy?"
"yup"
"okay you're free to go"
3. We have to live by rules otherwise it's chaos we don't go to jail or receive the death penalty just because the government is mean. We do it so there will be some order I wish that we lived in a world where we all happy and not hurting one another but frankly that doesn't exist so we are forced into these situations.
4. "The axe swings both ways" what about the victims family?
"Hi remember that convict that killed 25 of your close family members and dwar friends?"
"yeah"
"Dont worry about it we are going to send him to a goveent run facility where he gets free food gets to sleep all day and doesn't have to pay taxes"
"Oh thank god justice is served!"
5. Your right we shouldnt have to risk innocent lives but we have an improving law system (apposed to 100 years ago when all someone need was a witness)

wolfflame93s avatar wolfflame93 Yeah You Are +2Reply

1. Fair enough.
2. There's a difference between being eligible for parole and being let out for killing only one person. I'm just saying that the normally proposed crime for capital punishment is not, or should not be, one where you are given no second chance as it is.
3. Sending people to jail isn't just meant as a punishment. It is meant to protect society from dangerous individuals, and to teach these individuals that crime has consequences.
4. For serial killers, maybe the death penalty is acceptable, if you are 100% sure of who it was.
5. Improving != perfect. The idea of people's lives being dependent on the skills of the lawyer they could afford is not made better because 100 years ago it was worse. In my opinion, it's better to spend tax money on feeding and housing convicted criminals for life than to risk murdering even one person.

Dear wolfflame,

3. No it doesn't. Read my post from above.
4.&5. Death is final. A prison sentence can be taken back.

Question: Why are you so fond of the idea of killing people for revenge? And don't tell me it's for protection (see above).

Suggestion: Put people in jail and force them to have a miserable, but orderly life. Make them work (do laundry and stuff). Force them to be productive. That seems far more fit to achieve "order" (which you wished for in your post above) than murdering people because they murdered somebody else. Oh wait - that's what most civilized countries are already doing? So why not the US?

The death penalty is only expensive because of the legal process leading up to it. if we could get rid of that a bullets only $1

1. It's expensive because of the way they do it, if it started being a more regular occurrence the government might revert back to some of the older methods like hanging or firing squad.
2. Most of the people that are serving life sentences with no chance at parolle won't have another chance at life (I'm assuming you meant civilized life)
3. It's not being done as a for the same reasons as the criminal.
4. No but you can say that they deserved to be punished for their actions
5. Innocent people may die but the odds of that are small and will continue to get smaller as technology and forensic science advance.
Did I cover everything?

wolfflame93s avatar wolfflame93 Yeah You Are -1Reply

To personthingy
2. I wasn't suggesting that you kill everybody who robs a store or assaults someone just the more serious crimes.
3. That is my point the death penalty helps do that
4.&5. It seems to me that your main problem is that it is the right person and not an innocent but that happens in alot of situations an innocent man will be sent to prison for his entire life because of pregidous or simply bring in the wrong place at the wrong time. But there isn't really anything anybody can do about that

wolfflame93s avatar wolfflame93 Yeah You Are -5Reply

I don't know if CA has voted yet, but I know there was/is supposed to be a vote on whether we're gonna keep it or not.

ScottyDs avatar ScottyD Yeah You Are 0Reply

Definitely true.