+152

It doesn't make sense that professional surfing is split up in to male and female. amirite?

Unicornss avatar Sports
0 48
The voters have decided that Unicorns is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

All professional sports are split into male and female categories, even table tennis. Just because it is split into male and female, doesn't mean there is a bad stigma about it.

liens avatar lien No Way +7Reply

Oh shit, now it makes sense that in the movie "Soul Surfer" only girls were in the competition. It's like two in the morning and I am amazed by this.

All sports are split up into gender, I don't see why surfing would be any different

@AllSmiiiless All sports are split up into gender, I don't see why surfing would be any different

My line of thinking was that it doesn't make sense for a sport to be split into genders if literally the only thing prompting this was solely for the fact there are two different genders even though the gender difference doesn't make any difference in performance.

Unicornss avatar Unicorns Yeah You Are 0Reply

provided that the gender difference doesn't make any difference in performance*

Same thing with diving. I noticed that while I was watching the Olympic trials. It's not a strength thing at all.

ctiscoolers avatar ctiscooler Yeah You Are +2Reply

if you watch mens surfing and then watch womens surfing you will understand the difference.

TheShamWowGuys avatar TheShamWowGuy Yeah You Are +2Reply

It requires strength.... Men are stronger. Not too difficult

@pantherfanatic It requires strength.... Men are stronger. Not too difficult

I guess I'm just misinformed. I was thinking that surfing was a much more skill-based sport where strength didn't factor in as little as I thought.

Unicornss avatar Unicorns Yeah You Are -1Reply

Come on, people. Let's be realistic...

@YeahIAm Come on, people. Let's be realistic...

It's not like football or basketball though, there's no reason why a female surfer can't surf just as well a male surfer.

Unicornss avatar Unicorns Yeah You Are +17Reply

Okay, females are definitely not that weak. Although it would obviously take more time for a female to be able to paddle a wave just as good as a man, it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility. And paddling isn't the only factor in surfing, either.

Unicornss avatar Unicorns Yeah You Are +3Reply

So you're admitting that men have an advantage, and that that advantage is obvious?

The fact is on average men are stronger

I've only surfed once, but I know you have to paddle fast to catch the waves or something, and that requires strength.

This post reminds me of the time my P.E. teacher made our whole class play baseball and softball as two different units in the same year.

There is no sport, physical, athletic activity that women can do at the same level as men.

@Kasanova There is no sport, physical, athletic activity that women can do at the same level as men.

yes because clearly, due to physical exertion, there is a definitive gap between the skill of one gender over the other in...
...

...

...

...

...

table tennis

I'd like to see you do a little research of ALL the sports in the world before you say something like that. Go ahead, compare them all.

I'm not accusing you of generalizing, but there's NO way strength is a factor in ping pong

I'll say this about another sport. At the top level of bowling men are better than women. Could any woman near the top level of bowling kick 95% of men's asses? Sure. But bowling requires a lot of strength. Which is why the best men are better at it.

You need a lot of strong muscles for gymnastics, so it is probably naturally easier than me. Plus, boobs are really hard to work with when doing that kind of stuff. I'm a former diver, I know.

Fred_Weasleys avatar Fred_Weasley Yeah You Are +1Reply

Okay I reread my original comment and I realized that I totally fucked up the end of the first sentence. It should read:
...so it's probably naturally easier for men.

@1745732

please name 1 sport that women are better at than men.

@cherryblossom I fully agree with you and it goes both ways if a girl were to try and do a boys competition for gymnastics they would not do as well guys and girls are built different, we were not meant to do the same thing not that ones role is superior to the other

Most female divers, that I have seen anyway, are pretty flat-chested.

Tweetbaby14s avatar Tweetbaby14 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1745743

yoga is not a sport. I'm surprised women aren't better at curling seeing as its just like mopping.

@1745767

that's not what I'm saying at all. Women can do a lot of things better than me. All I'm saying is that there is no sport where the best womens team can beat the best mens team.

For gymnastics the competition between boys and girls are too different to compare its a different sport for each one, boys do single bar, rings, pommel, floor, parallel bars, and vault. Girls do beam, uneven bars, floor, and vault. Strength is a bigger factor is guys competitions but girls is more form an balance, I would say they are equally hard but in different aspects of the body

Thats also a good point a lot of sports are considered guy sports so girls are discouraged from playing them, very few football teams allow girl making it very hard for girls to excel at the sport due to no appreciation

I already said there may be sport that women are better at, but think about ping pong. It's about the speed of the arm when it hits the ball right? And the way the arm is rotating. Strength would probably be a factor.

Physically speaking, men will come out on top every time. I bet most college tennis players could beat Maria Sharapova. Not only are men stronger, but they also have better reaction times.

This is not sexist, it's the truth.

Pedo_Cats avatar Pedo_Cat No Way -24Reply
@Pedo_Cat Physically speaking, men will come out on top every time. I bet most college tennis players could beat Maria...

I agree with most guys on the tour, they do just play at a different level. But again I was talking only about the reaction times. And your study that you posted showed there weren't any statistically significant differences...so I'm not sure why you used that. And yes, top college players for sure. But there are lots of college players (I was going to be one of them before deciding I didn't want to devote my life to tennis) that would have very little chance of beating them, whether they are stronger or not, because the females have too much skill and experience. Except for the reaction times and just a slight clarification on college players, we are on the same page though.

Wynauts avatar Wynaut No Way +4Reply

Well, strength yes. But reaction times? where did that come from...
And as a fan of Sharapova, I'd admit that most of the top 100 pro players could probably beat her. Any woman actually. but college players? That's a huge gradient of play level.

Wynauts avatar Wynaut No Way +3Reply

http://www.pwlk.net/reaction/ex...tal_report.pdf
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/...d.php?t=362755

Don't believe me keep searching. It's a testament of how large the female/male ratio is on this site that my comment is so far in the negatives :/