+132

Canadians: it's annoying when some Americans assume they know what it's like to have universal healthcare and exaggerate to make it seem like everyone in your country is dying of waiting for treatment. As if you're some third world country that doesn't have it's shit together. Amirite?

3 6

People actually think that? Granted, being an American myself, I don't have many conversations about Canadian Healthcare.

@HopeImrite People actually think that? Granted, being an American myself, I don't have many conversations about Canadian...

Yea, it's one of the top arguments agaisnt universal healthcare "have fun dying while waiting", when in reality, this problem only happens to a small percentage of the population and Canadians in general are proud of their healthcare system( while its not perfect)

I just wished people did their research to find legitimate reasons against healthcare instead of listening to Rush Limbaugh or their opinionated grandfather and jumping on the "we're all gonna die waiting" bandwagon.

I'm Canadian, and all my experiences with our healthcare system have been very positive.

A whole back I was in a skiing accident and I had to stay in the hospital for a month, while receiving many CT scans and X-rays. I had to have months of physiotherapy to just walk again.

All that, and not a cent from my parent's pockets.

cherryblasters avatar cherryblaster Yeah You Are +4Reply
@cherryblaster I'm Canadian, and all my experiences with our healthcare system have been very positive. A whole back I was in a...

The only issue with our system and any other social healthcare system is that it is always priority based. So if the physicians are sure that there is something terribly wrong with you, things will go very smoothly. However, if you have some obscure symptoms that may or may not be indicative of a life-threatening/debilitating condition, you are going lose your mind in the six months it will take to get a scan. Additionally, a lot of family physicians do not prescribe any medication before testing is complete so you have to basically deal with the symptoms using over-the-counter medication
That being said, the percentage of the population that is in critical need of treatment does receive it promptly and less than 2% die due to delays in testing/procedure.
This is still much better than a lot of other countries, including USA, where poorer population doesn't gave access to a doctor and cannot afford life saving treatments and consequently die.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are 0Reply

I actually read a comment online saying, "At least Americans don't have to wait three years to get an operation."

no smilie

I never thought they died waiting, but I thought they didn't get to choose their doctors, so that was kind of bad