+170

(It really doesn't make sense without the picture.) This picture is really offensive. Tesla should be at that table. Not Edison. amirite?

Image for post (It really doesn't make sense without the picture.) This picture is really offensive. Tesla should be at that table. Not Edison. amirite?
Scientists avatar Jokes & Humour
7 41
The voters have decided that Scientist is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's funny how people hate Thomas Edison yet idolize Steve Jobs. They both got the major credit and wealth from something they did not create.

@YeahIAm It's funny how people hate Thomas Edison yet idolize Steve Jobs. They both got the major credit and wealth from...

I'm not freaking out. I'm giving my opinion. Please feel free to go through my other post. I comment like this in all of them. I comment like this on other peoples post. I like to express my views and have people fully understand where I'm coming from. Was I recently reminded of Tesla? Yes. Which is what inspired this and my other Tesla post. But this passion is typical. And so what if it's not important if I enjoy talking about it. I've argued about fictional stories before too. That's not important. And I don't care about Steve Jobs because he didn't rip off Tesla. My hatred for Edison is entirely based on my love for Tesla. If Edison had ripped off some who ONLY invented a more efficient way to provide electricity I wouldn't care. Or if that was the only time Tesla had been ripped off I probably wouldn't care (as much). But it happened over and over to this man. And no one even knows his name. So I think think it was entirely worth my energy.

Scientists avatar Scientist Yeah You Are +5Reply

The "the oddly overzealous OP" doesn't give a fuck about Steve Jobs and didn't think this comment was worth the time because I agree that it's stupid that people worship him. I've known of Tesla for at least a year now. But your condescension is much appreciated. Also I tend to reply to most comments on my post.

Scientists avatar Scientist Yeah You Are +4Reply

Regardless of how much you hate Edison, he wasn't an idiot, and he deserves a significant amount of praise from the scientific community. And I believe you know that. It might seem like you need to speak only in extremes to get people to understand your point, but you'd be more successful if you spoke truth.

Yea. I can admit my first comment had absolute bias behind it. But I still think Tesla deserves to be up there more than Edison. And I mentioned above I wouldn't mind getting rid of Dawkins or Aristotle either. Anyway. I apologise for my original comment. It was malicious and immaculate. And that's all Tesla did for the Lightbulb. But he did so much more for Science.

Scientists avatar Scientist Yeah You Are +1Reply

I'd also like to thank you for knocking me off my high horse. Biased opinions are something I hate most in the world and I was doing exactly that.

Other than my very first comment (which was entirely opinionated) what have I said here that hasn't been true?

Scientists avatar Scientist Yeah You Are 0Reply

My first comments definitely sounded more condescending than was necessary/intended though.

I was mostly referring to your first comment. You've also done a great job supplying examples, but I still have a problem with the obvious bias behind your fact-based claims. Namely, just like how Edison only improved on the light bulb, Tesla only improved on AC current, which was in use before he was born.

I wish the oddly overzealous OP would reply to that.

Yeah, we get it, you recently found out there was a really smart guy named Nikola Tesla. Calm down.

Why don't you care about Jobs? He was a great guy. He was really similar to Edison. It's relevant.

And no one freaks out this much over an issue like this that matters so little for long. If you actually have clung to this excessively passionate campaign for long, you're a crazy person. It's cool if you learn about it and get excited about it for a while (that happens to everybody, amirite?), but even if you're in the right, which you might be, this isn't an important issue, so I sincerely think it's not worth your energy to say things like your first comment here.

Edison was not that smart. All he did was combine random things together until he finally got a reaction. There was no theory going into it at all.

ctiscoolers avatar ctiscooler Yeah You Are +9Reply
@ctiscooler Edison was not that smart. All he did was combine random things together until he finally got a reaction. There was...

No because I watched The Simpsons and they had Thomas Edison and they showed he invented a lot of things and he was really smart. Sorry but you are wrong (:

Equals avatar Equal No Way -2Reply

The Oatmeal would be proud of you y smilie

Fred_Weasleys avatar Fred_Weasley Yeah You Are +8Reply

Whenever I see pictures of the last supper, I think of the miss nothing video by the pretty reckless

They both should.

@B10ckH34d They both should.

The first electric light was made in the very early 1800's by Humphry Davy but it was incredibly impractical (I don't know the exact date). Davy's lamp produced its light by creating an electric spark between two charcoal rods. it took entirely too much power and was far too bright. J.W. Starr developed the first incandescent bulb using a carbon filament inside a vacuum bulb in 1845. After Starr died, Sir Joseph Wilson Swan continued to work on the design and patented a carbon filament bulb in 1879. Edison made Swan a partner and eventually bought out his patent. Edison did improve on the bulb, no doubt. But it was in no way his idea.

Scientists avatar Scientist Yeah You Are +10Reply
@Scientist The first electric light was made in the very early 1800's by Humphry Davy but it was incredibly impractical (I...

That doesn't really make Edison a thief...

Rather, it's just people's idiocy that made people believe he invented it.

Orangiess avatar Orangies Yeah You Are 0Reply
@B10ckH34d They both should.

Edison was an idiot and a thief. His name shouldn't even be mentioned in the Science community unless it's followed by or preceded by an insult.

@B10ckH34d They both should.

Edison deserves credit for improving on someone else's idea? ANYONE can improve on another person's idea. Should everyone who's improved on the light bulb since Edison also be in that picture?

@B10ckH34d They both should.

We wouldn't be where we are had it not been for Tesla inventing a way to provide electricity to anyone that needed it. That's where Edison robbed Tesla. He offered him 50,000 (about 1,000,000 by today's standards) to invent a way to do this. So he did. And then when he asked for the money Edison replied with "You fail to understand the American sense of humour". Tesla had many other incredible inventions that were ripped off by other Scientist. If you ask me Tesla deserves to be in this picture more than most of these men. (And that's coming from someone who prefers Physics/Astronomy/Astrophysics/Biology more than anything else and is immensely bored by technological sciences.)

Scientists avatar Scientist Yeah You Are +3Reply
@B10ckH34d They both should.

Typically it's not an invention of this magnitude. And that doesn't change the fact that Tesla was infinitely more brilliant than Edison.

@B10ckH34d They both should.

What the fuck kind of joke is that? But that doesn't change the fact that Edison shouldn't be up there. While we're at it can we get rid of Aristotle and Dawkins? I love Dawkins to death but that I know of he doesn't have any great scientific discoveries or theories. He's merely a forerunner in Atheism. And Aristotle was the worst scientist in history. He didn't test a single one of his theories (or whatever you may call them) And because of his high stature they were accepted as true and then enforced by the church. It wasn't until Copernicus that anyone really questioned him. (at least openly)

@B10ckH34d They both should.

Compared to Tesla, Edison is an ant. Here's a fun little link to show you just some of the things Tesla did. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla Yes it views Edison in a negative light. But he should be.

Scientists avatar Scientist Yeah You Are +2Reply
@B10ckH34d They both should.

What about Eratosthenes? He predicted the size of the Earth in about 300BC to almost the exact size and angle degree. And the Egyptians were amazing astronomers. One of them (Perhaps Eratosthenes but I honestly don't remember) predicted that all stars were flaming balls of gas millions of miles away. And that our sun was no different. That we revolved around the sun. And many other fantastic predictions. Most civilisations not influenced by Aristotle were far more advanced in Astronomy. Unfortunately most of these places were destroyed by the Jewish, Islamic, and Christian civilisations. Prime example is the Library of Alexandria.

@B10ckH34d They both should.

I don't think anyone thinks it was his original idea. he did improve it greatly, and since then the only change has been turning his carbonised cotton to tungsten. It's like Bell created the telephone, but then other people created cordless etc. We still wouldn't have a lot of modern stuff if not for his improvements. He's like an appendix. It's useless now, but we wouldn't be here if it didn't help us digest grass and leaves hundreds of thousands of years ago.

@B10ckH34d They both should.

Also I feel I've given too much credit to Aristotle. The idea of planetary motion was initially set by Ptolemy. But the same applies where it was accepted by the church and therefore not questioned.

@B10ckH34d They both should.

Then who invented the lightbulb? I really don't know.

@B10ckH34d They both should.

Of course Tesla was better. And Edison was an asshole for doing that. It still doesn't change the fact that he allowed light bulbs to progress further. In addition, he didn't do that to steal Tesla's invention. He did it as a joke because he thought AC was useless. Tesla proceeded to show how transformers make it far superior to Edison's DC by powering New York from Niagara Falls, which Edison needed a power station close to every electricity user because of voltage loss.

@B10ckH34d They both should.

I already said he was an asshole for doing that. And he should be there because you're probably using something right now that wouldn't exist if not for his contribution to the idea of a light bulb. Tesla deserves the spot more than him, but he deserves it too. Dawkins should be the one to give up his spot. Aristotle questioned what the heaven were like, even though his idea that stars were in glass balls was total bullshit. Without him, maybe Copernicus wouldn't have thought about it either, and just accepted that stars were there, instead of "how would you get a glass ball so high up?"

And at least there's copernicium(112) but no aristotium.

@B10ckH34d They both should.

@partinobodycular Edison lived in a time when not every Tom Dick and Harry was working on improving something. That made his job somewhat special. And you have to admit, it was a pretty big improvement that directly led to even bigger improvements.

@CHasing_Echos Meh, I dunno. I guess they're just not as famous, so the photoshopper didn't know about them. I can't excuse Tesla, cos he's pretty damn famous.

@B10ckH34d They both should.

Are you British by any chance?

Nikola Tesla invented the power generator. Humphry Davy invented the light bulb.

@SuperSukh Nikola Tesla invented the power generator. Humphry Davy invented the light bulb.

Yea. I addressed that in an above comment. But Tesla should still be in the picture. Edison hasn't earned it at all.

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't care. We about about both of them in school, we know all about what each of them did, so fuck it. un smilie