+356

Blaming gun owners for the Batman massacre is like blaming the entire Muslim community for 9/11, amirite?

Big_Bosss avatar Politics
13 35
The voters have decided that Big_Boss is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I do believe in gun control, but the sentiment of this post is still absolutely right. But at the same time, I think gun control is a necessity. Not every shooting or gun-related issue is so high-profile as this kind of shooting. Sometimes it's like pro-gun people like to think it's ONLY these sorts of things that happen once in a blue moon and therefore there's nothing wrong with the current situation. In the UK, it took one such event to happen before people realized that more control was needed.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +12Reply
@TommyUK1234 I do believe in gun control, but the sentiment of this post is still absolutely right. But at the same time, I...

I have no respect for people who want to ban actual gun parts because they "look scary". I shit you not, people think that making a gun look more "friendly" will make them safer.

On the other hand it should be harder to get a gun, but not ridiculously hard to the point where people don't want to get one anymore.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +14Reply

I think allowing guns for sporting use in rural areas is fine, and stringent background checks should be performed on EVERY person who wants a license to own one. I don't see why we need to make handguns and machine guns available to people though...gun control works very well in china. I think it's the one crazy over-controlling aspect of this country that I truly appreciate! haha

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +9Reply

I think it's more like blaming everyone who has a bomb.

Blaming Americans would be like blaming Muslims.

Yes, but blaming gun ownership laws for the massacre is like blaming airport security for 9/11... it's not necessarily their fault, but maybe something could have been done (or should be done in the future) to prevent it from happening.

Having a gun ENABLES you to commit this kind of violence. Being a muslim just means that you believe in God, and that Mohammed was the last prophet. I do agree that you shouldn't blame all gun owners, just the fact that they're allowed to have automatic and machine guns.

My dance teachers husband had to stay at work for 3 hours because he works at a gun factory that works for the company that makes most the guns in the world therefore he could have made the gun so they were on lockdown

And yet people seem to do that as well

Haha yes this type of mentality is ignorant and generalizes, but many people actually DO blame the entire Muslim community for 9/11, so..

The guy got his gun from the internet. I think what should happen is that your licence to get a gun has a code on it. When you try to purchase a gun online, the website will recognize that your IP address is from the US, and ask for the code on your licence before you can make the purchase.

Also, derp if this is actually what has been in place.

mchalla3s avatar mchalla3 Yeah You Are -2Reply
@mchalla3 The guy got his gun from the internet. I think what should happen is that your licence to get a gun has a code on...

People who buy guns on the Internet need to have it sent to someone with an FFL (Federal Firearms License), which is typically a local gun store. They make the transfer there including the background check. It's not that different from buying a gun from the store itself. Typically people who buy online are looking for a specific model that is not stocked often in stores.

The whole "he got his gun off the Internet, that means he jumped through hoops" argument is moot since guns aren't delivered to someone's front door, unless they had an FFL. In this case he didn't have an FFL.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +1Reply

Well they're both retarded beliefs, but no owning a gun is not on the same level as practising a religion.
It affects people in different ways, it's done for entirely different reasons, one is far easier to choose, and to revoke.
Plus, religion was the reason they gave for 9/11, they said "We 9/11'd you because we're Muslims". The guy didn't do the shooting to validate his decision to own a gun, the gun didn't tell him to kill people, if he didn't own a gun he'd still be a psycho.
Blaming gun owners for the Batman massacre is more like blaming pilots for 9/11.

@Truuninja Well they're both retarded beliefs, but no owning a gun is not on the same level as practising a religion. It...

@Pug, they did do it in the name of religion, that's not calling Muslims terrorists, that's stating a fact.
You can't disregard a completely valid argument just because it seems like it might be offensive.

@Giggity No, no I did not.

You said they did it in the name of their religion.. so? a lot of christians do radical things in the name of christianity.. does that mean all christians support the same thing? take the Westro (however you spell it) baptist church. not all christians are like that.
not the entire Muslim culture supported what that group of terrorists did.

Pugs avatar Pug Yeah You Are 0Reply

I didn't make the first comment. And he never said that they were representive of the whole population

I think when he said 'they're retarded beliefs' he was referring to the blaming of other people, not religion.

Anyone can do anything in the name of a group. that does not mean we should generalize a whole religion or nation based on what someone did.
if a 'christian' goes and kills someone, and says they did it for God, it would not be right to generalize other christians and say they agree with that one person.

Pugs avatar Pug Yeah You Are -1Reply

If everyone in the world owned a gun, maybe things like this would not happen. Because if you shoot someone, everyone around you could just shoot you back. That's probably a horrible explanation, but that's the way I see it. And history shows it as well.

Pugs avatar Pug Yeah You Are -14Reply
@Pug If everyone in the world owned a gun, maybe things like this would not happen. Because if you shoot someone...

What if the person shooting is in a very well hidden place and the people being shot at start randomly shooting everywhere because they're scared. That'll probably cause more deaths.

@Saphira What if the person shooting is in a very well hidden place and the people being shot at start randomly shooting...

Contrary to popular belief, people with CCW's aren't trigger happy rednecks. They're not going to randomly fire at anything that moves, especially since doing so would have severe legal repercussions.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +3Reply

That wouldn't have helped with the theater shooting anyways. It was a dark room filled with people. If everyone starting shooting, more people probably would have been hit on accident.

If everyone could have a gun it wouldn't work because more people would have them and more shootings would occur. I even wrote an essay on it for my freshman comp class.

KirstenAnns avatar KirstenAnn Yeah You Are +7Reply

Pug, I get what you mean. It would kind of be a Cold War situation. If everyone had a gun, then if one person started shooting, people could start shooting them so they'd be less likely to try anything.
I could see how there might be less shootings but it wouldn't eliminate them and I think more people would end up dying since everyone would just kind of open fire.

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are +5Reply

yeah i see all of your points.
i remember learning about how in Chicago (or some other big city) owning a gun was made illegal (despite the 2nd amendment). Everyone was asked to give their guns to authority. and guess what happened? the crime rate actually went up. criminals did not give their guns back, only honest citizens did.. and no one had guns to defend themselves with and criminals knew that.

Pugs avatar Pug Yeah You Are +3Reply

I know, my dad has several guns. I'm pretty sure he keeps one in the car. Pug was talking about everyone having a gun and if that happened, then all of the trigger happy rednecks would also have them, which could be a problem.

Statefarms avatar Statefarm Yeah You Are 0Reply

Oh. It's just that I've known and seen people who were fucking safety hazards with guns, which is why it should be harder to get one. I'd gladly jump through a few more hoops to get one, but only if those silly bans on various gun parts were abolished.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are -1Reply