+140

The Penn State board kind of overreacted. I mean, nullifying every win from the past 13 years is a little extreme, amirite?

islanders avatar Sports
2 10
The voters have decided that islander is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The NCAA*, not the PSU Board. The NCAA completely abandoned their protocol with Penn State. The penalized the university despite no NCAA rules being broken and without performing their own independent investigation.

I agree with the $60 million fine and the loss of the $13 million Big Ten Championship share (all going to charity), but the NCAA should not be penalizing current and future players by taking away postseason football and scholarship opportunities. They should have just taken the revenue from the bowl games and had the university donate an amount equal to scholarships given.

As for the vacating of wins, this only ever occurs when a team received an unfair advantage on the field. The NCAA bypassed their own rule just to bury Joe even further.

I wouldn't say they overreacted, since the crimes that brought on the penalties were so heinous, but I feel that they were mishandled. As a PSU student, I will just accept them and support the current team and coaching staff.

@DanielJames The NCAA*, not the PSU Board. The NCAA completely abandoned their protocol with Penn State. The penalized the...

I think it's not fair to players who worked hard to win those games and have them all taken away. Along with the scholarships, that could some kids only chance of being able to pay for college. I agree that the crimes were horrible, but I wish the punishment didn't affect students who had no role in the crime.

Even though I disagree with your premise, the whole post is wrong. Penn State did not punish themselves, the NCAA punished them.

Wescats avatar Wescat No Way +18Reply

I understand wanting to take the wins away from Paterno but I feel so bad for the players and students who didn't do anything wrong but now they have these consequences also

Marys avatar Mary Yeah You Are +16Reply
@Mary I understand wanting to take the wins away from Paterno but I feel so bad for the players and students who didn't...

What about the players that played in the last 15 years or so and now have those wins vacated even though they didn't do anything wrong

Marys avatar Mary Yeah You Are +7Reply

Well, the players can transfer to another school and play immediately. The sad thing is, most are too attached to their school to leave.

I feel like they should be punishing a few select people, not the entire program. Just because the crimes were committed by the coach[es] doesn't mean all the players and stuff should be penalized. For instance, if a player takes steroids, only he/she is punished. Or if the president commits and crime and is impeached, the citizens of America wouldn't be punished.

The fact that some people still see this as a story about Penn State's football program is disgusting. But I've learned a great life lesson from many Penn Sate fans. It's okay to cover up for a serial child rapist as long as you're good at winning football games.

There making a point that the protection of children is more important than football.

I think 45 counts of child molestation is extreme.