+210

If you were given the opportunity to genetically design your children prior to birth to ensure they'd be healthy throughout their life you would do it, amirite?

Life
3 19

I watched that movie in my AP Bio class.
Unless everyone was doing it, and my children would be at a serious disadvantage to everyone else, I wouldn't want to do that.

@ThisBlackChick I watched that movie in my AP Bio class. Unless everyone was doing it, and my children would be at a serious...

That's more or less my views on it too. I thought it would be interesting to see what others thought about the topic.

i would just lessen his chances for certain diseases, that is it

lilobamas avatar lilobama Yeah You Are +18Reply

Yes, assuming this process has been around long enough to know the long terms effects of it.

On a related note, if I found out very early on that my unborn child was going to be seriously mentally or physically disabled, I'd probably opt for an abortion. It sounds horrible, but neither myself, my wife or my kid will have as good a life as we could otherwise, and I wouldn't want us all to have to go through that.

Obviously my wife would have the final choice, but if what I wanted didn't factor in to some degree, I probably married the wrong woman.

Agree, or disagree? And why? I've given this a lot of thought, and it always interests me to hear what others have to say.

shorkians avatar shorkian Yeah You Are +15Reply
@shorkian Yes, assuming this process has been around long enough to know the long terms effects of it. On a related note, if...

Personally, I think that it would be humane to abort a defective fetus. I mean, what if they were only physically disable. Then they would learn they likely couldn't pursue all their dreams. Then they would learn that you could have prevented that by either altering them as the post states or not letting them get conscious enough to suffer. I don't think they'd be all that happy with you.

On the other hand if they we mentally disabled, then instead of having them anyways, you could just abort and get a dog, maybe even a parrot.

Of course, all this is on the bases that the parents wanted to test to see the likely outcome of the child, but still didn't want to alter it.

Warshons avatar Warshon Yeah You Are +2Reply

I meant the kid we'd end up having. This is under the assumption that we actually do want to be parents, and are willing to try again. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

shorkians avatar shorkian Yeah You Are 0Reply

neither myself, my wife or my kid will have as good a life as we could otherwise,

and by that you mean no life?

not saying i disagree with you, just saying

Nah, I try to keep everything as natural as I can. Like the food I eat and shit like that. Also, I'm really into science, and I just couldn't bring myself to fuck with the natural order of things.

@Frank_n_Furter Nah, I try to keep everything as natural as I can. Like the food I eat and shit like that. Also, I'm really into...

Let me rephrase. Natural science. Like physics and evolution. Not the science that would change my kid.

I'm not ridiculously diseased, no one else in my family is, why would my kid be...? But thanks for your sarcastic well wishes >.> I never said natural is good. I just don't believe in fucking with the natural order. If other people want to do that to their kid, I'm not against it. I just want my kid to be who they're supposed to be. Natural: adj.
Existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

Good luck with your ridiculously diseased child.

Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's good and I really hate when people think that. There is nothing wrong with artificiality (especially since technically everything is natural since everything is nature).

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are -1Reply

I suppose. I wouldn't want anything else by design though. Only so they wouldn't have cancer and such.

_pi_s avatar _pi_ Yeah You Are +3Reply

I don't know, I'd be worried that something could go wrong and give my kid some kind of deformity. I don't think I'd do it unless my kid was already going to have an illness or disability and I could prevent it.

I would would pimp my kid out and make them so attractive, athletic, healthy, and smart.

I would! Not personality, but physically id make them perfect

runnerdudes avatar runnerdude Yeah You Are -2Reply
@runnerdude I would! Not personality, but physically id make them perfect

Because he said physically perfect and people think it's shallow or something.

But when I read this I thought Uglies right away.

Chewbanshees avatar Chewbanshee Yeah You Are +2Reply

I mean I wouldn't want to make them little perfect robots who will never have problems, but if I could protect them from sickness, I totally would. Same reason people get their kids vaccinations.

runnerdudes avatar runnerdude Yeah You Are +1Reply

I don't know why you got voted down. I'd personally make sure my children would be super athletes and geniuses. Why not give your kids every advantage in life?

x2502mans avatar x2502man Yeah You Are -1Reply

Hot damn I loved those books.
I both agree and disagree- lawnmower parenting leaves your child unable to cope with difficult situations, but making sure your children are attractive and healthy- I see nothing wrong with that.