+147

Chic-fil-A and Oreo are good examples of why you don't mix strong opinion with your business. It doesn't matter what the opinion is or what it supports; it's best to keep the controversy to yourself. Besides, we're already being drowned by advertising. Now we have to deal with propaganda being shoved down our throats? Businesses should just sell their products or services and shut up, amirite?

StickCavemans avatar Politics
2 14
The voters have decided that StickCaveman is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

All of that being said, a business (owner) definitely has the right to voice its opinion and it should always be that way, however, it's generally not a good idea.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +22Reply

I fucking love Chick-fil-A, and am still going to eat there, because the food is good. I can have different beliefs and still eat chicken.

BuddyCakess avatar BuddyCakes Yeah You Are +14Reply
@BuddyCakes I fucking love Chick-fil-A, and am still going to eat there, because the food is good. I can have different beliefs...

I don't really see why people are boycotting them. The owner stated his beliefs and that was it. He wasn't banning homosexuals from his business. I mean, in most situations I fully support boycotting and prefer that over government regulation, but it just seems like a lot of people are being really butthurt about this.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +8Reply

This. I love Chik-Fil-A's food, and I have nothing against them personally, but I won't eat there anymore for the same reason I wouldn't give money to a bum sitting outside a liquor store: I know where the money is going, and I don't approve.

Part of the proceeds go to anti-gay marriage groups, and I just cannot support that

It just causes unnecessary drama.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +9Reply

Not to mention the employees who have to deal with it

http://soapboxderpy.com/

People in positions of influence have a social responsibility to be a positive influence and to speak out against injustices.

@People in positions of influence have a social responsibility to be a positive influence and to speak out against...

Dan Cathy (Chic-fil-A CEO) was promoting an injustice which he saw to be gay marriage.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +4Reply

Personally, I think CEO's and the like don't belong in the sphere of social change. They're a business, and so they should keep it that way. If they want to change anything, the main thing they should look to is business ethics.

chick-fil-a doesn't give money to anti-gay marriage groups they've just announced that that is their position so i don't feel that boycotting is necessary

I feel like Chik Fil A was just stupid to do that, but I think Oreo did it because they thought it'd get more customers.