+132

Though Olympic athletes should be smart enough to avoid any drugs prior to competing, testing positive for marijuana should not warrant disqualification as it is not a performance enhancing substance, amirite?

News & Current Events
4 20

Was he disqualified for "performance enhancing drugs" or because he was taking an illegal substance? I thought it was because it was an illegal substance and that is against the rules, whether it is performance enhancing or not. If the rule states one's body should contain no illegal substances, I believe that can include non performance-enhancing ones.

@TommyUK1234 Was he disqualified for "performance enhancing drugs" or because he was taking an illegal substance? I thought it...

Well, there was an American athelete who was found to have been smoking weed and he was banned from the games. The OP talks like he was banned for taking a performance enhancing drug, but in fact I'm pertty sure he was banned because it was simply an illegal substance.

It's still illegal and athletes are suppose to be role models

@It's still illegal and athletes are suppose to be role models

It's perfectly simple. The Olympics were in a country where it is not allowed, and this athlete broke the rules, and so he was made an example of. He was stupid, and deserved what he got.

He's not stupid because he smokes weed, they didn't even say that. He's stupid because it is obviously not allowed but he did it anyway and threw everything away.

Right on Colebowl - way to set the fool straight on what I meant!

Maybe next time read more carefully, I consider it necessary to school people who refuse to admit their own mistakes to the right people!

For the record, I'm still undecided about this but was curious as to what others think.

Rather weed hurts your body or not, fact of the matter is that it's illegal. These athletes know they're not supposed to use it yet some choose to use it anyway. They should have to face the consequences.

This happened to Ross Rebagliati at the 1998 Games. After he won gold, he tested positive for marijuana, and his medal was revoked. It was later returned to him because marijuana is not on the list of banned substances because it's not a performance-enhancing drug.

@GlitterbabyGlam This happened to Ross Rebagliati at the 1998 Games. After he won gold, he tested positive for marijuana, and his...

They haven't discovered this site yet, so just as long as I don't say anything TOO bad about any of them, or talk about any current....happenings that are controversial, I can keep this site open in mainland China! haha Whatever I do though, I can get on it using my VPN or going to Hong Kong or Taiwan

I see why they would think that. But here, it's not about whether or not it enhances their performance, it's about whether or not the stuff is ILLEGAL. It's an ILLEGAL substance and the rules say you're not allowed ANY illegal substances, performance-enhancing or not - that's why this olympian was banned from London.

Can't remember, just Google it. I'd do it for you but it doesn't work in my office in Beijing, lousy Chinese restrictions