+147

When you look at the great countries of the past where most of the early mathematical and scientific development occurred such as India and China and see how they have fallen, you can't help but think of what will happen to the great nations of today such are the USA and Japan and wonder where they will be in a 1000 years. amirite?

Technology
0 29

I'll be the pessimist who says the human race will probably blow itself up before another thousand years passes.

I feel we pay more attention to history so we're not gonna fall as easily, but I could be wrong.

@I feel we pay more attention to history so we're not gonna fall as easily, but I could be wrong.

I think they paid attention to history too, history repeats itself but if we were to face something totally new...we'd be fucked.

......are you implying that Science and Math cause countries to fall from power?

@Scientist ......are you implying that Science and Math cause countries to fall from power?

Then you should understand that scientific and technological development are the prerequisites for military strength.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are +1Reply

While stronger weaponry is developed by scientific discovery they are used by military. All babies come from sex but not all sex leads to babies.

.... seriously....
I am simply implying that those countries were once at the pinnacle of scientific and technological development as the G8 countries are now and look at where they have ended up.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are 0Reply

Probably because I study the sciences and not history. My perspective is perpetually biased towards the sciences. Sorry for the confusion.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are 0Reply

I don't really understand what you are trying to say here or how it backs up your previous comments. In your analogy, I assumed that the weapons are the babies and the sex is the science. So all weaponry is developed due to science but not all science leads to weaponry. Correct me if I am wrong.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are 0Reply

Correct. And what I'm saying is yes it is a prerequisite, but it shouldn't be what is mentioned when talking about what has kept past countries alive.

I just don't understand why you chose Science and Math and not something more prominent like military power. Ancient Egypt was a leader in Math and Science but was no match for the Roman Empire.

I often ponder this during history class.

MIDNIGHTANGELs avatar MIDNIGHTANGEL Yeah You Are 0Reply

USA... Great nation... I LOL'd hard. Not only is the US a shadow of what it was not 100 years ago. It's a shadow of what can even be called a stable country. Socially it's a disease ridden mess

@USA... Great nation... I LOL'd hard. Not only is the US a shadow of what it was not 100 years ago. It's a shadow of...

And yet, it is able to manipulate and control the actions of most of the rest of the world. It may not be perfect but it is powerful.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are 0Reply

Not that I agree with anon but that seems like a very arguable opinionated statement. Saying the US can, solely on will, control what the rest of the world does is quite a stretch. And fairly recently the US had dropped from most powerful country in the world to noticeably behind China and by some standards Russia as well.

From a non-American point of view, it does seem that the united states can get away with what other countries such as china will never be able to, at least in the UN. I am not saying that USA is the most powerful country in the world by it is definitely one of the most powerful and definitely the most influential. It is like a small child; one that is selfish and willful but still manages to get what it wants by manipulating others. Only in this case, the manipulation is not achieved by using the puppy facr but by threats of force.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are 0Reply

india are full of terrorist waiting to blow up america

@india are full of terrorist waiting to blow up america

India is actually a victim of terrorism herself and is afflicted with multiple terror threats every year courtesy of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are +3Reply

agreed
And a lot of people in India are Sikhs, Hindus, and Buddhists. Those are peaceful religions.
You know why people call us terrorists? Those Al Qaeda terrorists were brown. Brown skin does not equal terrorist or Al Qaeda or extremist.

SuperSukhs avatar SuperSukh Yeah You Are +1Reply

Exactly. Pretty much every one in the Middle East and South Asia is or looks brown. But brown is not equal to terrorist. Heck, even Muslim doesn't equal to terrorist and Islam, along with Christianity, actually perpetuate the idea of a "holy war". Indian religions have no such thing.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are 0Reply
lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are 0Reply

Cool! Where in India are you from? I'm from Bangalore.

Bun10s avatar Bun10 Yeah You Are 0Reply