+224

A boy's family just won a $14.5m lawsuit against a baseball bat manufacturer because their son was struck by a ball in a little league game and was brain damaged. Life is full of risks and tragedies happen that are often outside of anyone's control. But in America, we always need to blame somebody for our misfortune and make a killing off the lawsuit, amirite?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/14-5m-boys-brain-injury-161747443--spt.html
Joe_Larsons avatar Jokes & Humour
5 16
The voters have decided that Joe_Larson is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I partially agree, I mean I see ridiculous stories all the time about lawsuits and stuff, but I DO see the parents' side on this one. I played baseball, and some bats are designed WAAAAY, way too powerful. They're called composite bats, you barely have to swing and the ball just rockets off of them. In my opinion, they have no business being used in little league, or really any other level of play, for that matter.

@Unicorns I partially agree, I mean I see ridiculous stories all the time about lawsuits and stuff, but I DO see the parents'...

Then perhaps people should look in to the product they're buying? Say I buy a firearm to protect my house with. If someone broke in and I shot them, but the round was too powerful and punched through the wall, hitting my child on the other side, should I be able to sue the manufacturer for making the firearm too powerful? No, I should be in trouble for choosing a tool that's not right for the job.

Mike_Hawks avatar Mike_Hawk Yeah You Are +17Reply
GiggityGoo22s avatar GiggityGoo22 Yeah You Are +7Reply

Why is this categorized under fun/jokes?

KatieKaties avatar KatieKatie Yeah You Are +3Reply
@KatieKatie Why is this categorized under fun/jokes?

Probably because if you select a subcategory, the site automatically categorises it in the more broad heading as well unless you manually remove the tag. First World Problems is a subcategory of Fun/Jokes.

... You're joking, right? Who the fuck is that much of an asshole to do that? Teach your kid how to catch ffs, and get them to sign a waiver.

names avatar name Yeah You Are +3Reply
@name You're joking, right? Who the fuck is that much of an asshole to do that? Teach your kid how to catch ffs...

@name Lol, I at first I thought you meant to say "I wasn't talking to you Unicorns" as in, you were telling a bunch of Unicorns you weren't talking to them. Haha. Oh, I laughed way to hard at that.

Yeah man relax. I just forgot to right in all caps "JK" at the end of all that! I'm such an idiot!

Actually, from reading the article OP cited, the family did NOT win the lawsuit. They settled. There's a difference, in that the case was never completed; if it had been, the family might not have gotten the money. The manufacturer was also not the only party being sued and paying the family; Little League and I'm guessing whatever store sold the bat were also involved.

@partinobodycular Actually, from reading the article OP cited, the family did NOT win the lawsuit. They settled. There's a...

The point of the post was that it's ridiculous that the family sued because of the injury. Did you really have to find the article and point out everything the OP did wrong?

GiggityGoo22s avatar GiggityGoo22 Yeah You Are +5Reply

OP gave false information, so I corrected it. Is that so wrong? I don't think it's ridiculous for the family to sue someone, I think it's crazy for them to sue the bat manufacturer. It appeased me to know that Little League, who I see as more responsible because they permitted the bat to be used, was also held responsible. I also think it would be ridiculous for a court to say, "Yeah, you owe millions of dollars just for making this bat." Again, that isn't what happened. These facts changed how I viewed the story, and other people might feel the same way, so I brought it to their attention. It doesn't affect the end of the post, that someone always has to be held responsible in this country.

Anonymous