+108

It’s a bit sad that young girls look up to these Disney Channel actresses who cake on the makeup, wear high heels, short dresses, and sing about being “up in the club”, amirite?

Image for post It’s a bit sad that young girls look up to these Disney Channel actresses who cake on the makeup, wear high heels, short dresses, and sing about being “up in the club”, amirite?
macandcheesemunchers avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
1 40
The voters have decided that macandcheesemuncher is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

What's wrong with high heels? I've never understood why people always thought that high heels=slutty.

@1833109

This post is obviously implying that. If it wasn't, why would it be sad that these girls are role models to young girls? I just don't see why people think it's sad for girls to like high heels.

@1833578

High heels aren't even made for kids that are that young, so that's not even a problem. By the time kids are old enough to wear high heels, these people are usually not even their role models. And like you said, high heels are for ages 15 and up, which means that nothing is wrong with these girls wearing them.

@rilara High heels aren't even made for kids that are that young, so that's not even a problem. By the time kids are old...

Have you ever thought of the fact that a kid might have big feet? I know a sixth grader who wears the same shoe size as her mom and wanted a pair of wedges like the ones pictured in this post.

@macandcheesemuncher Have you ever thought of the fact that a kid might have big feet? I know a sixth grader who wears the same shoe...

I actually didn't think of that. That's a very good point. However, I don't think anything's wrong with a sixth grader wanting those shoes. It's only a problem if they get them. I honestly agree with the rest of your post, but I don't think it's wrong for them to wear wedges or heels in their music videos.

What's sad to me is that as far as female role models go young girls are generally shoved into two categories. "Good" girls and "bad" girls. And when a young woman exhibits any sort of sexuality, in the eyes of society, it automatically makes her a "bad" person who is undeserving of respect, which is complete bullshit. Shame on you for perpetuating this.

@What's sad to me is that as far as female role models go young girls are generally shoved into two categories...

I understand what you were saying and I don't agree with it. OP is not trying to degrade these girls for doing their jobs, she is simply pointing out that young girls should have better role models than them and I agree with her.

@Altoid_Freak_250 I understand what you were saying and I don't agree with it. OP is not trying to degrade these girls for doing...

Thank you for understanding my post!! It seems like almost everyone who commented chewed me out about something the post isn't even about. Even though some of them do have good points, they completely missed the point of the post. I just don't understand these people sometimes.

@macandcheesemuncher Thank you for understanding my post!! It seems like almost everyone who commented chewed me out about something the...

I think people are just overanalyzing what you said when it's really just pretty simple. Anyway, you made a good point, and it's actually a very important topic in my opinion. y smilie

@1833108

Oh my gosh, FINALLY, someone who understands my post!! I've seen young girls try to act like these girls too, and people don't understand that no matter what their parents tell them they can and can't do, they're still going to have their own opinion about people they see in the media.

@1833108

Barbie's target audience is 10 and under. And when I was a kid I wanted to bleach my hair and wear makeup, but I didn't because my parents wouldn't let me. Remember parents?

No I don't have kids but I have three nieces 10 and under that I helped raise. I make sure to introduce them to a wide variety of female images. If they still want to pile on the makeup this early it's as simple as saying "no." There's all sorts of "adult" behaviors kids are surrounded by. I think more parents just need to discuss what (they think) is appropriate for whatever age their children are.

@1833579

So shift the blame elsewhere, eh?

"Shame on you" for having an opinion about the actresses on a TV show? That's just plain rude, Anon.

I think it's even more sad and pathetic that adult producers and directors dupe these teenage actresses into doing that stuff.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +9Reply
@StickCaveman I think it's even more sad and pathetic that adult producers and directors dupe these teenage actresses into doing...

Exactly! I think a lot of people misunderstood my post. I wasn't trying to say that makeup and high heels are bad, I was trying to point out that the people who dressed these girls up like this should be ashamed of making these girls grow up too fast. Yes, they are teenagers, but a majority of the Shake It Up audience is made up of elementary school girls who might start to think that they need to wear this stuff to be beautiful and fashionable.

Fuck, everyone overreacts so much.

Here's a little bit of advice: If you don't want your child to become a prostitute, instill the right values in them: bad people and bad influences are everywhere; you have to know that you are your own person who makes their own decisions, and you decide what's right for you.

If you parent your child this way, a damn disney channel video won't scratch the surface of their decision making. You should look at the flaws in your own parenting techniques if your child (god fucking forbid) wears heels, instead of looking to a freaking Disney Channel show to act as your scapegoat.

You make it sound like normal teenagers don't wear make-up and high heels. What they're doing is their job. It's the role of the parent to make sure their kids look up to people worth looking up to- Rosa Parks or Hellen Keller, strong empowered women.

Im not a fan of shake it up bu i would just like to say that i read a magazine article about how zenedaya wasnt aloud to wear makeup until she got on shake it up

I completely agree, except when have they sang about clubs?
I have younger siblings and Disney is on almost 24/7 & I've never heard a clubbing reference.

@I completely agree, except when have they sang about clubs? I have younger siblings and Disney is on almost 24/7 &...

Do they even know what kryptonite means ono smilie

Who am I kidding? As if they write their own songs

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are +31Reply

In their song "Fashion is My Kryptonite" they say:
When we up in the club
It's easy to see
That we got style in our veins
'Cause fashion's what we breathe

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

• H. L. Mencken

There's nothing wrong with makeup, high heels, or even short dresses, as long as they're not scandalously short. And there are teen clubs, just so you know.

I don't like these girls but it's not like they're fucking prostitutes.

Zendaya's dress isn't even short here. At all.

@shelbybuckffs Zendaya's dress isn't even short here. At all.

I don't know which one Zendaya is, but the blonde girl's dress is pretty short.

@HMDucky I don't know which one Zendaya is, but the blonde girl's dress is pretty short.

Zendaya is the dark/dark haired one and you can't even see the bottom of her dress

Sometimes, I don't understand our little Amirite community. First, we're open to people doing what they want, being who they want, and loving whomever they desire, and then bash little girls for aspiring to be like someone they see on TV. We've all been the kid that looks up to a celebrity, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's a stage we've all gone through and a lot of us have legit reasons to continue looking up to some of these celebrities. When you actually get enough sense in yourself, you'll either grow out of the stage, or have genuine reasons why you continue to look up to that person. (ex: Demi Lovato - helps others with issues she's got through herself; Selena Gomez - shining light on her Hispanic culture, making people feel proud to embrace their own cultures, etc.)

I'm just tired of seeing these kinds of posts. Every generation has had these types of things, but we just need to understand that not all people are robots who end up following everything they see.

@iceeselenawiz Sometimes, I don't understand our little Amirite community. First, we're open to people doing what they want, being...

You've made some very good points, and I agree with you. But I think that no one is understanding that this post is not an attack on Bella and Zendaya - I am criticizing the fact that Disney Channel is claiming to be family friendly and then they proceed to dress their actresses up like they are about to go clubbing. I mostly made this post because I was in shock when I saw this music video on Disney Channel, and I decided to take a risk, because I've never made a controversial post like this before. The comments on here ended being a bunch of people basically commenting how stupid and overly dramatic this post is, which I did not expect, but I respect everyone's opinion and I find it interesting to see everyone's perspective. The last thing I wanted to do was make people mad, and I feel really awful for that.

@macandcheesemuncher You've made some very good points, and I agree with you. But I think that no one is understanding that this post is...

Don't feel bad! It's an opinion and it's good you posted it. I got to see I wasn't the only one who disagreed, and you got to see you weren't the only one who agreed. It's practically a win/win situation.

And the reason you see mostly negative comments is because people, like myself, usually like to explain why they NW a post, to keep the discussion going. You should continue posting more controversial posts like this, they're the most interesting.

@iceeselenawiz Don't feel bad! It's an opinion and it's good you posted it. I got to see I wasn't the only one who disagreed, and...

Thanks for the consolation :) This has been a little hard on me, considering someone commented "shame on you" but I'm over it now.

Personally, I don't understand WHY girls choose celebrities as their role models. Yes, I though HIlary Duff was cool when I was younger, but that doesn't mean I wanted to be like her. I also looked up to Miley Cyrus, but when she changed, I was old enough to realize that that simply meant she wasn't worth admiring anymore.

The people I want to be like are my peers and other people who I can actually see interact with others on a daily basis. It's hard for people to see celebrities as real people sometimes.

who the eff are these girls? never seen them before

Hey, how did you see this music video?

Once, I was in LA and I met the orange girl. I am the same age as both of them. I went up to her and said "Hey, aren't you the girl from that Disney show?" She giggled disbelievingly about how I said "That Disney show," then she talked to me in the way you'd talk to a six year old, stooping down even though I'm taller than her and said, "Hiiii, do you want an autograph? It's always nice to meet a fan." Now I never said I was a fan, and before I could reject an autograph she handed me one. Then she watched as I threw it away.

This is just plain sad.

Hahaha, typical Disney. Prostitutes. 😠