-132

To make a poem without any kind of rhyme is pretty pointless, too easy and not really something worth bragging about, amirite?

BrimDreams avatar Entertainment & Hobbies
0 18
The voters have decided that BrimDream is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Writing a haiku
Shows people that you can count
right up to seven.

I think poems that don't rhyme are harder to write because you have too many words to choose from.

HMDuckys avatar HMDucky No Way +13Reply
@HMDucky I think poems that don't rhyme are harder to write because you have too many words to choose from.

I disagree. I think it makes it easier BECAUSE of the fact that you have endless possibilities! :P

BrimDreams avatar BrimDream Yeah You Are 0Reply

I used to think I was good at poetry, but I realized later that I just had a knack for rhyming. That's the thing. Rhyming is sort of like a gimmick the poet can hide behind to make a poem sound impressive. I find writing non-rhyming poetry much harder because it has to be deeper and have a meaning without the cutesy rhyming. I also find it a little harder to get the rhythm Montezuma talked about that way.

Of course rhyming poetry can be impressive, too. I'm just generalizing through my own experience.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way +12Reply
@_Jojo_ I used to think I was good at poetry, but I realized later that I just had a knack for rhyming. That's the thing...

Yeah well, making "deep" poems can be just as much of a gimmick :P It's easy to make anything sound deep and profound. You just got to use fancy words and make it sound simple at the same time. It's really not as hard as people make it sound.

@BrimDream Yeah well, making "deep" poems can be just as much of a gimmick :P It's easy to make anything sound deep and...

That's definitely true as well, but I think trying (and succeeding) to sound "deep" still takes more skill than finding rhyming words.

voting this down didn't express my disagreement enough, so I decided to comment. I dissagree

i saw a bird in a tree
he smiled at me
then i got stung by a bee.

obviously, just because a poem rhymes does not automatically make it a good poem, just as all poems that do not rhyme are not automatically bad.

@i saw a bird in a tree he smiled at me then i got stung by a bee. obviously, just because a poem rhymes does not...

I never said that either! :P I meant a well crafted rhyming poem is much more deserving of praise then some rather random muttering of words. That kind of people, who think they are deep and profound simply because they made a poem about two lines long, really irritate me. It's reeeally easy to make stuff up if you have no kind of barriers to stick to.

BrimDreams avatar BrimDream Yeah You Are +1Reply
@BrimDream I never said that either! :P I meant a well crafted rhyming poem is much more deserving of praise then some rather...

I think i get what you mean, like some hipster typing up a "deep" poem about random shit on his mac in starbucks. However, there are lots of legitimate poets who write excellent poetry that does not rhyme, but neither is it a mash up of random words or a desperate attempt to sound profound.

@1850521

I actually am, thank you very much!

the only thing a poem needs is rhythm

I have written both rhyming poems, and non-rhyming poems, and the majority that I call my favorite are the non-rhyming ones. Often than not, rhyming poems sound too cheesy because there's only a limited amount of words that can be chosen to make it rhyme, even if you look in a rhyming dictionary (which I have done lots of times). There's also lots of poems with no meaning that doesn't rhyme, so pointless poems can come from both sides. Likewise, plenty of splendid poems can come from both sides.