-73

When people say, "Oh yeah, I got some Scottish blood, French, blood, German blood and I'm actually one sixteenth native American, Chickasaw, I believe," it's completely meaningless. Just because you were born in Russia and have entirely Russian ancestry but have lived in America since you were three months old, you're not Russian. You are American. amirite?

mattreynoldss avatar
2 12
The voters have decided that mattreynolds is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This post has 2 parts which are completely irrelevant to each other

Heritage and nationality are completely different things.. but addressing the nationality bit- you would be American, yes, but your origin and heritage would be important. For instance, my brother and I are the first American-born citizens in my family; the rest come from the middle east (mostly Palestine). When people ask me about my cultural background I don't just say 'American'- yes, I was born and raised here, but I was surrounded by a Palestinian/Arab culture growing up. Family culture has a huge impact, regardless of where you live.

@rowanne Heritage and nationality are completely different things.. but addressing the nationality bit- you would be...

Agreed - I said YYA to the post because I personally place nationality, environment and society above blood heritage. If I were born in Australia to Argentinian parents, held aussie citizenship and grew up there, I would consider myself Australian. But that's not to say I woudln't be at all proud of my heritage! Anyway, I agree with OP on this one.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@TommyUK1234 Agreed - I said YYA to the post because I personally place nationality, environment and society above blood...

I do too, for the most part (I myself am proud to be American), but I think the post kind of implies that heritage is irrelevant, which is obviously untrue.

@rowanne I do too, for the most part (I myself am proud to be American), but I think the post kind of implies that heritage...

I didn't get that from the post on initial reading, but objectively I can see why you might. I think what the OP might be getting at though are those people who insist on using heritage as an exclusive label, and ignoring their nationality completely. People like that annoy me too.

TommyUK1234s avatar TommyUK1234 Yeah You Are +1Reply

that is pretty much me and yeah but it is nice to reflect on your heritage even if you have literally no connection to it. America is so generic all the people here come out the same we are the Walmart brand of humanity.

Okay, this post is talking about two completely different things like they're the same. Yes, it can be stupid when people go on about how they're 1/25th philipino and 1/16th puerto rican and they're great great great great grandma twice removed was 1/4 Italian and it goes on and on as this never ending list. But if you're legitimately from another country, then you aren't just American. You have a whole other cultural background which should be acknowledged.

this post is in reference to the ones who actually believe that in the blood running through their veins lie their heritage. they actually believe that their body is composed of what ever nationality their ancestors were. obviously it's untrue. there can be only three types of human blood when it comes to race. Caucasian, mongoloid, and negroid. I trust everyone can figure out which is which

mattreynoldss avatar mattreynolds Yeah You Are +1Reply

lol chickasaw

I feel like it is not as common in other countries to claim to be more than one thing. If you're Chinese, i think it is more likely that generation after generation of your family was born and raised in China. America is a country of immigrants, so it is a little different. Most people i know are American citizens but they still say when asked I am Italian or Spanish, Jamaican, etc. Why? Because they, their parents, or their grandparents were born there and that language and culture is used at home. Yes, they are an American citizen, but it is not really their true origin, especially since their parents might have only been in America for 20 years.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way -1Reply
Anonymous